Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Ill Cigarette tax $3.98/pack
Old 07-01-2019, 05:07 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Ill Cigarette tax $3.98/pack

The average cost for a package of Marlboro cigarettes is now $12.98.

https://www.expatistan.com/price/cigarettes/chicago
The tax increased by $1 on July 1st... the article that stated the average price, was in June.

That means a cigarette now costs $.65 ea.

When I was a kid, a quarter in the cigarette machine gave you a pack... that had two or three pennies inside the cellophane wrapper. That meant each cigarette cost about $.01 ea. back in the 1940's.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That does it. I've giving up my plan to take up smoking.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

When I was in the Air Force, we used by a 10 pack carton for $1.10 at the PX (1960's).
Old 07-01-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As I recall, in the late '60's cigarette pack seemed to track the price of a gallon of gasoline. I never took up the smoking habit but did frequent the gas station often.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:34 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Just another reason not to smoke.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:37 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Wow, 11.98 for a pack, $120 a carton? I'm very glad to have dumped those 19 years ago. I don't see many smokers anymore. At least cigarettes. Illinois recently became the 11th recreational cannibis state. I guess trying to help tax their way out of financial issues.

Sometime back in the 1970s there was a bumper sticker that said "Gas, grass, or cigarettes, nobody rides for free" or something like that. [emoji13] I guess it's karma.

Somewhere a bunch of old hippies are laughing.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Yup, we never thought it would be legalized in our lifetimes. Hehe, yes you can even buy a "pack of joints" that comes with a free lighter because nobody carries a lighter anymore.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Each time the WaPo runs an article on the plight of poor people, which is often, there is always somebody smoking or an ashtray full of butts in one of the photos. I always wonder how they manage to afford their smokes.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:42 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
The average cost for a package of Marlboro cigarettes is now $12.98...
Wow, that's expensive.

I will borrow from Marie Antoinette and say "Let them smoke MJ".

Maybe MJ is really less expensive. Does anybody here know?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:06 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The "good stuff" is $300-350/ounce. But it's truly 1 hit sh*t, over 20% THC and not that rag weed we smoked when we were young.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Okay! I will have to take your word for it, as I never do MJ in my life.

Smoked cigarettes since the age of 15 though, and quit in 2003.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I pay $100 out the door for medical, normally ~20%. Recreational in this expensive area runs $180 out the door. Other more populous areas have better prices.

Recreational is typically the same strains from different grows with different price and more tax. Every state has different pricing and laws. I've read some areas, Oregon?, had a glut of cannabis and the price has fallen to 1972 dirt weed prices.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:24 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Each time the WaPo runs an article on the plight of poor people, which is often, there is always somebody smoking or an ashtray full of butts in one of the photos. I always wonder how they manage to afford their smokes.
That's why one of the reasons they're poor.
Worse yet, I'd guess that more poor people smoke, so the state is making those least able to pay even more poor.

My dad was a four pack a day guy, so in today's money he'd be paying like $50 a day?? $1500 a month??
Old 07-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I noticed no difference in price medical vs rec. The packaging of the rec stuff is much better and so is the quality. They just stuffed the medical into cheap plastic RX jars, the rec stuff is in air tight glass.

Oh yeah, tobacco is simply unfashionable now.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:25 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Wow! I quit when they reached $1.00/pack because I thought that was ridiculous! 1984 or thereabouts.

Stumbled across this looking for price history, an impressive decline:
Quote:
Since 1965, the adult smoking rate has fallen from 42% to 15%. Despite the decline, smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in the United States, accounting for nearly half a million deaths each year.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Try Australian cigarette prices - about USD28 per pack.
Something like 75% is tax.

It is intended to stop people from smoking and has been very successful in lowering the number of people smoking.
Aus_E_Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:08 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Reminds me of the time back in the 1990s (and I'm sure it has happened often since then) when I went to my local mini-mart to buy some milk one Friday night, and the other dozen or so hardly wealthy customers in the store were all buying at least one of the following: beer, cigarettes, and lottery tickets. I was the only one in the store not spending money on vices which disproportionately tax the poor in one way or another.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:32 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
beer, cigarettes, and lottery tickets. I was the only one in the store not spending money on vices which disproportionately tax the poor in one way or another.
Beer is a "vice?!"
Old 07-02-2019, 02:01 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
When I was in the Air Force, we used by a 10 pack carton for $1.10 at the PX (1960's).
I was in the Army in the mid-70's. When we went out on field maneuvers, the K-rations (MRE's of the day) included small packs of cigarettes. I think 5 each.

I tried a few cigarettes when I was a teenager but have never smoked any since. I remember my younger brother puking when he tried them with me.

The only time I bought cigarettes was in the early 80's. I was working in Toronto. One of my co-workers asked me to bring him back a carton (10x20) when I visited the US. I remember it was $7 US for a carton of Marlboro's at the time at a quickly mart.

A quick google indicates that you can't buy Marlboro's in Toronto now. But, generally, a carton of cigarettes there would cost $105 US.
adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:55 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREchief View Post
Beer is a "vice?!"
It can be. I personally know at least 3 functioning alcoholics who drink nothing but (alot of) beer. I know more than a few people who have DUI's on their permanent record from a few beers. So yeah, it is a vice for a lot of people.

The best thing to do with beer IMO is distill it into whiskey.

I quit smoking cigarettes in 1995. I remember the minute I quit vividly. I was driving home and the news radio was carrying an announcement by the governor (who I really didn't like). He was crowing about signing a bill imposing an additional $1/pack tax on cigarettes "for the childrens's sake". I crumpled up the last few cigarettes in my current pack and threw them out the window while giving an obscenity or two towards the governor on the radio. Never smoked since. That tax raised the price of a pack from $2 to $3. In retrospect, that was one of the few (only) things done by that governor that were positive for me. "The children" got hosed though. The dedicated tax that was supposed to benefit "the children" was rolled into the general fund. Go figure.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote