Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: I'll Show You Mine If You Show Me Yours
Old 07-17-2004, 07:22 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

I believe the initial Retire Early safe withdrawal study mentioned an optimal stock allocation of around 75% for 30-40 year periods:

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/restud1.html

That may be where that number originated.
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2004, 08:22 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bob_Smith nailed it -- 75% stocks is close to optimal for most of us, but you can safely lower that percentage by using TIPS instead of other bonds. * This comes with the risk of a lower terminal value, of course.

Here's intercst's TIPS study:

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/safetips.html

(Note that his study was done when the TIPS real yield was 3.92%, though.)
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 03:17 AM   #43

In the spirit of this thread, I invite you folks to comment on this. My lowest yield on anything I own currently is 5% on a government backed note. 26 year maturity. I will not touch it, just cash the interest checks (this is currently in an IRA).
No COLA, but the APY goes to 6% after 5 years, 7%
after 6 years, and 8% after 7 years, callable any time after 2008, so there is some ramp up if it is not called.
My thinking was it was as safe as a CD, paid about 1% more than the banks (for a 5 yr.CD) and worst case I get the higher interest at the end of the 5 years.
Comments? Be candid, I can take it. BTW, I forget
the yield to maturity but you financial types can compute
it easily.

John Galt
Old 07-18-2004, 07:54 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, You all will laugh at us:

Total: $1.5m USD

Wifes 401k Bond Fund Paying 4%
My 401K Bond Fund Paying 4%
CD $1.1m Paying 2.3 - 2.5%

GIC $15k Paying 3% (Canada)

We have NO Pensions, Or will ever get much. At the moment we are travelling and have no permanent home. We do not deplete capital and do not use all our interest to live. We have basic health care in Ontario Canada.

SWR.

Old 07-18-2004, 10:11 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Looks fine to me - no need to rush. Remember the Terhorst's started out with fixed income instruments and gradually changed over time.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 11:09 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Mikey,
Been there done that! - I am a lousy stock picker! - Guess what - Most pros are too! Why should I think I can beat the index funds, if the pros can't?
I take it you have not read the 4 pillars of investing?
Cut-Throat, In another thread you stated that you achieved 13-14% over a long period of time. Isn't that an index beating return?

Re: Four Pilllars, I have read it. Just feel that there are flaws, not in the data but in the reasoning from it.

Mikey
Old 07-18-2004, 11:34 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought I had responded to this, but guess not. Age 67; all in Vanguard IRAs.

40% Total Stock Market Index
20% Total International Stock Index
10% REIT Index
20% Short-Term Bond Index
5% High-Yield Bond Index
5% Cash

Plus two currently insignificant holdings in tech stocks, Cisco & Nuance, to be moved to a Roth IRA this year. Plan to move from short-term to intermediate or total bond fund perhaps near end of year.

db
db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 11:37 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
My thinking was it was as safe as a CD, paid about 1% more than the banks (for a 5 yr.CD) and worst case I get the higher interest at the end of the 5 years. Comments?
But with a 5 year CD, at the end of five years you can get off the train if things get ugly (inflation takes off and rates rise significantly). It would appear the primary risk you face is that inflation will swamp the return built into that bond while long rates trample the price. Not likely in the short term. Long term I'm not so sure.
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 12:29 PM   #49

Quote:

Cut-Throat, In another thread you stated that you achieved 13-14% over a long period of time. Isn't that an index beating return?
I'm not sure what a 100% s&P 500 idex returned over that time. I was almost 100% in stocks during my accumulation phase.

Also, my returns were bolstered by being able to purchase company stock at a 15% discount. My wife is still puchasing stock at her company at a 15% discount. This gives that investment a immediate 15% return for the first year.

But the money I invested outside of these programs, I am sure did not fare as well as a Index Fund. And since I did not have a 'plan' in place, I usually traded at the wrong time. Not to mention all the grief worrying about when to buy/sell etc.

Like Unclemick my best moves have been to do nothing.

Old 07-18-2004, 09:54 PM   #50

Quote:
My lowest yield on anything I own currently is 5% on a government backed note. *26 year maturity. *I will not touch it, just cash the interest checks (this is currently in an IRA).
No COLA, but the APY goes to 6% after 5 years, 7%
after 6 years, and 8% after 7 years, callable any time after 2008, so there is some ramp up if it is not called.
My thinking was it was as safe as a CD, paid about 1% more than the banks (for a 5 yr.CD) and worst case I get the higher interest at the end of the 5 years.
Sounds like a slightly weird CMO to me. *Do you have a CUSIP so I can look it up?

It should be fine assuming you plan to hold it till it's called (which it almost certainly will be if market rates stay below 6%). * So, assuming you paid no fees or mark-up for it, then worst-case is that it acts like a CD, as you said.

I know that FNMA and GNMA are perceived as government entities, but they're private companies, and I honestly don't know if there's a formal backing by the government or if it's just assumed that the government wouldn't let them fail.

It does seem to me that home lenders are taking more risk than I can recall them ever taking before, and if we start seeing failures, a bailout could be very costly. * So, it may come down to the risk that something changes in how FNMA/GNMA operate in the next 26 years (the term of your note, and again assuming it's a CMO).
Old 07-19-2004, 03:09 AM   #51

I do not believe their is a formal agreement for the
gov. to bail out FNMA/GNMA. However, I view the
likelihood as virtually 100%. I also agree that home lenders are taking more risk than ever, which seems to be a part of an overall plan to make everyone in this
country a homeowner. A "policy" I am strongly opposed to.

John Galt
Old 07-19-2004, 11:58 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I'm not sure what a 100% s&P 500 idex returned over that time. I was almost 100% in stocks during my accumulation phase.

Also, my returns were bolstered by being able to purchase company stock at a 15% discount. My wife is still puchasing stock at her company at a 15% discount. This gives that investment a immediate 15% return for the first year.

But the money I invested outside of these programs, I am sure did not fare as well as a Index Fund. And since I did not have a 'plan' in place, I usually traded at the wrong time. Not to mention all the grief worrying about when to buy/sell etc.

Like Unclemick my best moves have been to do nothing.
FYI the compounded 25 year S&P 500 total return from end of 1978 to end of 2003 was 13.8%.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:41 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

We are in our 'accummulation' phase so our allocations are (hopefully) geared more to growth than income.

Overall, we are:

Property - 60%
Individual Stocks - 15%
Funds / Trusts - 12%
Gold / Commodities - 3%
Cash - 10%

Total - 100%

Removing the Property factor, the split on the Non-Property assets is:

Individual Stocks - 37.5%
Funds / Trusts - 30% (Even spilt among US Index, global Growth and Asian)
Gold / Commodities - 7.5%
Cash - 25% (equal split US$ / Euro / Basket of Asian Currencies)

Total (Excluding Property) - 100%

The above exclude our emergency cash fund, art / collectibles and jewellery.

Simon888
Old 07-31-2004, 08:08 AM   #54
gone traveling

I know Re: I'll Show You Mine If You Show Me Yours

Quote:
I know that FNMA and GNMA are perceived as government entities, but they're private companies, and I honestly don't know if there's a formal backing by the government or if it's just assumed that the government wouldn't let them fail.
To clarify the above question, I just received my Ginnie Mae CMO prospectus and it states: "Ginnie Mae will guarantee the timely payment of principal and interest on securities. The Ginnie Mae Guaranty is backed by the full faith and credit of the United States of America." I have a fairly large portion of my portfolio in these Gov't backed CMOs and I am not concerned about default.

Doug
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Big difference between GNMAs & treasuries.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:50 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Big difference between GNMAs & treasuries.

DFW_M5,

Treasuries are backed by the U.S. government. Congress will raise taxes as high as necessary to pay off the debt.

GNMA & FNMA are government-sponsored organizations. They're insured (as long as the insurer can pay for it) but they're not backed by Congress' taxing power.

You might not have to be concerned about default. But a GNMA CMO has more default risk than a Treasury. Hopefully GNMA hasn't been hiring the guys that used to work at Long-Term Capital Management...

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/ginniemae.asp

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/fanniemae.asp

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 04:21 AM   #56
gone traveling

Nords, I am not sure what your point is, seems to be splitting hairs when saying it has more risk than a treasury. The point I was trying to make is that the risk in owning such securities is mininscule. The full faith and credit guaranty of the United States Gov't goes a long way towards making these low risk investments, regardless of whether treasury guarantees are higher in the pecking order. If there is an issue with these we are all in trouble!

This is straight from the Ginnie Mae site:

"Ginnie Mae does not buy or sell loans or issue mortgage-backed securities (MBS). Therefore, Ginnie Mae's balance sheet doesn't use derivatives to hedge or carry long term debt.

What Ginnie Mae does is guarantee investors the timely payment of principal and interest on MBS backed by federally insured or guaranteed loans — mainly loans insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) or guaranteed by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Other guarantors or issuers of loans eligible as collateral for Ginnie Mae MBS include the Department of Agriculture's Rural Housing Service (RHS) and the Department of Housing and Urban Development's Office of Public and Indian Housing (PIH).

Ginnie Mae securities are the only MBS to carry the full faith and credit guaranty of the United States government, which means that even in difficult times an investment in Ginnie Mae MBS is one of the safest an investor can make."

Doug
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 05:52 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

About the only scenario that might endanger this sort of investment would be one in which massive mortgage defaults occurred.

Like a whole mess of people with 100% equity variable mortgages and HELOC'd up the wazoo that get squeezed on one side by a rapid interest rate rise and a severe recession/depresson on the other, all defaulting en masse.

Possible, but such a scenario would create enough other 'problems' in the investment world that taxpayers having to foot up to 2 trillion in GNMA guarantees would be the least of it...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 07:40 AM   #58

GNMA is fully backed by our government. FNMA is a government sponsored corporation with no explicit backing by the government, but it's assumed that we tax-payers would bail them out if things got ugly.
I hear you, guys, but...
Old 08-05-2004, 06:10 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

I hear you, guys, but...

... I just finished reading Frank Partnoy's "F.I.A.S.C.O.", and even 10 years ago there was a lot of finagling involved with packaging & selling CMOs. Ah, but no doubt the SEC & Spitzer will keep things clean!

The "MX" chapter was the most illuminating, especially discussing FNMA "Interest Only" and "Principal Only" CMOs. It was also pretty frightening to see how the S&P bond-rating process is manipulated, I mean accessed. "Full faith & credit guaranty of the U.S. Govt" doesn't always mean what we think it says...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:45 PM   #60

This was a great discussion. I'm bumping it back up to the top.

Roth
33% Vanguard 500
33% Vanguard REIT
33% Vanguard Small-Cap Index

401(k)
Vanguard (Coffeehouse)

Cash
6 months in ING Direct

Stocks
Indy Mac Bank DSP
GE DSP
Toyota DSP