Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll Show You Mine, If You Show Me Yours...

I would, but can't figure out how to copy the pie chart from Fidelity. Oh well, nothing much to look at anyway. Pretty conservative mix.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Large Cap Equity 25.9%
Small Cap Equity 2.8%
International Equity 8.4%
Fixed Income 54.2%
Cash Investments 3.1%
Other 5.6%

Old 01-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

From my profile:
Our ER portfolio is three ETFs and one stock: ~23% each of Berkshire Hathaway, EFV, DVY, and IJS. The remaining 8% cash is two years' expenses for bear markets and volatility swings.

No bonds, no REITs, no commodities. Cash flow from a 33-year-old rental that we may downsize to in 20-30 years. With COLA pensions & flexible expenses the rest of our ER portfolio can be way out on the risk/return curve.

~16% of our ER portfolio comes from our home mortgage, a 30-year 3.625%. It's invested in the small-cap value ETF.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

No dry powder, Nords? Reflect your sense of valuations? Or your buy-and-hold belief?

I've lots:

65% Cash (55% Stable Value, 10% MM [taxable])

20% PM&M (VGPMX)
5% Energy (VGENX)

5% SV (VSIAX)
5% ISV (VINEX)
Old 01-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #25

27.7 Large Cap Equity
6.0 Mid-Cap Equity
50.0 Foreign Equity
16.3 Cash/bonds
Old 01-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22 View Post
No dry powder, Nords? Reflect your sense of valuations? Or your buy-and-hold belief?
We just finished a familyroom renovation that sucked up our dry powder and some of our portfolio.

But other than once-a-decade home renovations, every year I trade less.

I've been selling off some of the small-cap value for other small investments in local startups, but most of our investing has been selling covered calls.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

still 100% individual stocks (all mid to large cap domestic) (since 1993)

53, retired 5 years
Old 01-23-2012, 03:37 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
So I'm curious, seems youare already retired, correct?
And do you have any pension or SS?

Just to see what situation the AA goes with...
Retired Jun 2011, no pension, age 57 not planning on SS until age 70. DW still working, not sure how much longer.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #30

image-3069991607.png

Here's mine. The "other" section contains the angel investments. This chart does not include the money I put into the used car lot ( about 15%).
Old 01-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Retired Jun 2011, no pension, age 57 not planning on SS until age 70. DW still working, not sure how much longer.
Thanks. Just wondering, looks like 50% stocks, 40% bonds and 8% cash, if a 50/50 returns say 6% overtime, is that enough to fund expenses with some inflation?

I'm 55 plan to fire in 4 years, 50K pensions, DW takes SS in 8 years, me in 12 years. Need another 36K after taxes above pension till SS. SS should put us back with same takehome as today.

My goal AA is:

Stocks: 70% (25% large cap, 20% small/mid, 25% foreign)
Fixed: 30% (US bonds 15%, Intl Bonds 5%, casn 10%)
graph1.jpg
We have RE but not sure how it figures in my AA. Do you count equity or total value regardless of mortgage? Probably need to count Total value cause that is what I have on the line. So if I include value of RE then

RE:32%
Stocks: 49% (18% large cap, 14% small/mid, 17% foreign)
Fixed: 19% (cash 8%, bonds 8%, intl bonds 3%)
graph2.jpg
Hrmmm - if that looks rather agressive, remember I have the pensions.
With RE doing such a job on the AA, and I'd like to get another property in 2 years, not sure I like how that would affect the AA.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
Thanks. Just wondering, looks like 50% stocks, 40% bonds and 8% cash, if a 50/50 returns say 6% overtime, is that enough to fund expenses with some inflation?
I hope so. Our WR is 2.2% before we start Soc Sec, about half that once we're both taking Soc Sec. Time will tell...

Old 01-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I hope so. Our WR is 2.2% before we start Soc Sec, about half that once we're both taking Soc Sec. Time will tell...
WOOT!!! at 2.2% you are da man.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #34
gone traveling

Cash 25.11
U.S. Stocks 36.10
Foreign Stocks 12.24
Bonds 25.81
Other 0.74
Not Classified 0.00

I would think that the question is also "where are you in your plan"? Are you just starting out, getting ready for retirement in a few years, are in early retirement (whatever the age), or in late retirement (which I/DW consider age 80+)? That makes a big difference as to your current AA.

Cash is higher than most would consider "prudent" in our case; however since I'm retired (DW will soon be) and we're both pre-SS and DW is pre-pension (two separate benefit streams), we have no need to risk taking income from non-cash assets, worrying about market "flux".

BTW, depending on when you want to measure cash, we currently have between 6-20 years of expenses represented by our existing cash; less today, but more within the next two years as additional benefit/income streams start.

It's variable, since we're both 64 but within a year, DW's two small pensions kick in, followed by FRA SS for her (along with my 50% claim on her SS) a year later, which means we will be drawing very little from our cash. I plan to file for SS at age 70.

Again, this is only for targeted retirement investments and dosen't represent current remaining SPIA value payable to our estate as beneficiary along with non-retirement investments.

BTW, our joint AA during our prime accumulation years (ages 34 to 55) was 90/10 (90% equity, 10% bond/cash), and was moved to a 60/40 (60% equity, 40% bond/cash) from ages 56 as we prepared for retirement (age 59) and sold off many years of profits to establish our respective retirement expense cash buckets). At age 62, we changed our joint AA to 50/50 since we found we could reduce risk and did not need to accumulate more - rather than protect "our number" along with ensuring a plan subject to future inflation unknowns.

Since you asked...
Old 01-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I would think that the question is also "where are you in your plan"? Are you just starting out, getting ready for retirement in a few years, are in early retirement (whatever the age), or in late retirement (which I/DW consider age 80+)? That makes a big difference as to your current AA.
Why are you whispering?

Good observation, though most people here appear to be about 55 10 years of age, so that's what I was assuming. This recent poll suggests there are no "late retirement" folks here...

Poll:How Old Are You? Ted Shepherd got me wondering.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #36
gone traveling

Quote:
Why are you whispering?
That's what happens when you use MS/Word to create a post and then copy/paste it without knowing what the BBS will post it as (in look) even though it looks good to you at the time of posting ...

BTW, I thought there was a good representation of "post-boomers" on the board, based on some current negative responses to me recently (no, don't want to start a fight - just an observation) of those that were born after 1964. That would be anybody of the current age of 48 or less. That falls within your 55 +/- but not by much.

Just a simple observation...
Old 01-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

My actual:

Old 01-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

When I first read the thread title "I'll show you mine if you show me yours...", I had flashbacks to those pre-school days in the bushes with the opposite sex.

65/35 equity/FI

FI:
6% cash
21% Ibonds
29% Short Term bonds (switch strategy)
45% Intermediate/cash (switch strategy)

equity (all indexed, all switch strategy):
30% US/international -- presently all US
42% LV/LG -- presently LV
14% MV/MG -- presently MV
14% SV/SG -- presently SV
Old 01-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Of the 15 replies I could clearly assign numbers to (most of them), so far:

AssetAvgLowHigh
Stocks57%31%99%
Bonds28%0%57%
Cash Equiv16%0%65%

That and a nickel...

It was interesting (but not surprising in this economy/market) how some people have eschewed bonds for cash equivalents.