Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #101
Gone but not forgotten

We like Illinois and the town we live in.

Haven't had to pay State or Federal taxes in many, many years.
Since buying our home in here in 2004, between senior tax freeze and homestead exemption, taxes have gone from $2,300 to $2,500 on a (now) $180K home.
Virtually no driving anymore, so gas, next to nothing.
Very low traffic so few redlights... almost all 4 way stops.
All stores within a 2 1/2 mi. radius.
Best Hospitals in state, outside of Chicago.
Excellent schools, and a Community College.
Good county and city government.
Very, very low crime rate.
Nice people.

...and coming from New England, we still like the four seasons.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So, it sounds as if IL may be a good state for older retirees.

And $180K sure is an inexpensive home by our lights. (That's a compliment, coming from an ER member).

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

Since buying our home in here in 2004, between senior tax freeze and homestead exemption, taxes have gone from $2,300 to $2,500 on a (now) $180K home.
Virtually no driving anymore, so gas, next to nothing.
Very low traffic so few redlights... almost all 4 way stops.
All stores within a 2 1/2 mi. radius.
Best Hospitals in state, outside of Chicago.
Excellent schools, and a Community College.
Good county and city government.
Very, very low crime rate.
Nice people.

...and coming from New England, we still like the four seasons.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53
HR explained that since the bonus was based on my work in 2003, NJ had a claim on half of it. Infuriating, but nothing I could do.
I left California for another state mid-year. When it came to paying CA state income tax on what I earned in that state I found that the state of CA figures one's tax bracket based upon ones total earnings including earnings out of state. I paid, and did not resent it since the good people of CA had helped pay for my bachelor's degree at a fine state university.

Today, with things like the billions of dollars in cost overruns on that train through the Central Valley (36% more!!!) I might not be so happy to pay the tax.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I'm in Illinois southwest of you. Most of your list would apply equally to me, but I'll have to pay federal taxes on taxable income (after $12000 deduction) on up to 85% of my SS, interest income, 457B distributions, capital gains distributions, and ordinary dividends, and I'll have to pay state tax on interest income, ordinary dividends, qualified dividends, capital gains distributions, and capital gains. Illinois has a low exemption of only $2000 on income, and only retirement income is excluded from being taxed by the state, which doesn't give me relief from state taxes from my taxable brokerage account. So in total, even after using tax optimization strategies, I'm looking at about about $2500/yr in taxes fed and state combined (in today's dollars) to provide about $50,000/yr spending.

The property taxes are way too high in this state. My house has a market value close to $120,000, and my property taxes are close to $4000. Taxes were $2300 back in 2001. Home appreciation has been minimal as well in this area. I get the homestead exemption but no senior exemption or freeze at this point.
GenXguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:04 PM   #105

I'm guessing Hammond, IN will be thanking IL pols for all the additional gas purchases from here forward........
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:06 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXguy View Post
The property taxes are way too high in this state. My house has a market value close to $120,000, and my property taxes are close to $4000.
Agreed - the rate is exorbitant. With heavy taxation, IL must have excellent services, such as education (schools), parks & recreations, police and fire protections, economic assistance and health-care for the poor, etc.?
Old 07-07-2019, 07:24 AM   #107

There are many complaints about Illinois, but C-U is the place to be. We are considered the "Prairie Silicon Valley" and keep growing. There's much to look forward to in this community. Yes, I miss "Chief" but we keep moving forward. We live approx. 6 blocks from research park. Every time I drive/walk by there, new start-ups or innovative companies are moving in.

https://researchpark.illinois.edu/ne...n-prairie-news

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:31 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
lots of good things about Illinois...weather, taxes, corruption, condition of roads, taxes, corruption...wait. I meant to list the good things. its like most people...our friends and family are here. we do try to spend the winters elsewhere.
There ya go......

DW and I were both raised in inner-city Chicago, attended college away, returned for jobs and have lived in the close-in 'burbs ever since. Until retirement, we just thought the "Illinois way" was the way life was. Now FIRE'd for well over a decade, we've had time to notice there is another world beyond the Illinois borders........

What keeps us here? Family (especially our special needs grandson), friends (some going back 60+ years) and those feelings about the devil you know vs the devil you don't know. If our anchors didn't exist, there are several places we'd head to in a heartbeat. But I should mention, there are a few places I think we'd like less than here.

We've been gettin' out of town for 7 - 8 weeks the past few winters too.......
Old 07-07-2019, 07:46 AM   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Our Illinois real estate taxes are $8500. Works out to be around 1.7% of value. More than double the rate that we were paying for our real estate taxes in our Arizona townhouse.

The savings in Illinois comes from state tax free retirement income. But we’d have to have more than $100k in retirement income to generate enough state income tax savings to offset the extra real estate tax that we are paying.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:03 AM   #110
Gone but not forgotten

Cursed

Had to mention that Illinois did not tax Social Security. Lasted one day.

Looks like that might change. See this:

https://www.fool.com/pwa/retirement/...-security.aspx

Nice while it lasted.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #111
Administrator

Quote:
Cursed

Had to mention that Illinois did not tax Social Security. Lasted one day.

Looks like that might change. See this:

https://www.fool.com/pwa/retirement/...-security.aspx

Nice while it lasted.
This is just speculation. There’s no legislation under consideration.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:08 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The savings in Illinois comes from state tax free retirement income. But we’d have to have more than $100k in retirement income to generate enough state income tax savings to offset the extra real estate tax that we are paying.
Does a withdrawal from tax-deferred accounts count as retirement income?
Old 07-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Yes, so those withdrawals are state income tax free today.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #114

OMG, Illinois might start taxing SS and pensions, I am shocked........ Everything south of Chicago needs to secede from the state and let them have their taxes.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:53 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
OMG, Illinois might start taxing SS and pensions, I am shocked........ Everything south of Chicago needs to secede from the state and let them have their taxes.
Actually, for the sake of accuracy, any of the states now not taxing various forms of retirement income might sometime in the future begin taxing retirement income.

A likely scenario, IMHO, is that a progressive system, such as the feds use for taxing SS, would come into play. This as opposed to taxing every penny of retirement income from the first penny on.

But, who knows?
Old 07-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Yes, so state income tax free today.

Yep - It was great last year. A pension, a roth conversion, and an IRA withdrawal - 0$ state income tax. I may have to ramp up roth conversions.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #117

two counties basically control the state...Cook and St. Clair (across fm St. Louis). not dissimilar from other states. best solution IMO...establish a state version of the electoral college based on counties.

balance the budget, eliminate waste and redundancy, reduce spending, jail for corrupt politicians, enact term limits...then we’ll discuss taxes.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #118
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
California tried to do this with military retirees that were stationed in the state. Feds said NOPE!

I remember when this was going on. It's illegal now.

https://finance.zacks.com/pay-taxes-...g-in-8131.html

Prior to 1996, some states maintained statutes allowing for "source taxes." These statutes required people who earned pension income in a state to continue paying taxes to that state even if they no longer lived there. For example, a 1989 report in the Schenectady Gazette describes the plight of a retired woman who earned a pension from California. Though the woman had moved to Nevada more than nine years earlier, she still received a tax bill from the state of California for her pension income. Seniors across the United States faced similar scenarios, thanks to various incarnations of this source tax law.
Source Tax Law

On Jan. 10, 1996, Congress enacted the Pension Source Tax Act of 1996 (P.L. 104-94). This law specifically stipulates that, "No State may impose an income tax on any retirement income of an individual who is not a resident or domiciliary of such State." While the Source Tax law still allows individual states to define residency on their own terms, it prohibits any state from taxing non-residents for pensions earned within the state. If you earn a pension in Vermont, for instance, then retire to New York, Vermont may not tax your pension income.
Turbo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #119
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Actually, for the sake of accuracy, any of the states now not taxing various forms of retirement income may sometime in the future begin taxing retirement income.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
Be careful what you wish for. It’s possible the southern part of the state benefits more than it taxes.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #120
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcat View Post
I recently drove from California to Memphis. Spent the night in Needles by the Arizona border. Granted Needles is in the middle of nowhere but was going to get gas and decided to compare prices. Can't remember exactly the prices but Page Arizona just across the border was about $1.50 cheaper than Needles California. Of course, Page is pretty far from everything also so I'm assuming a lot of the difference is because of California's high gas taxes.

It's well known here in Phoenix that if you drive to Los Angeles on I-10, your fill up in Ehrenberg, AZ (~$2.99/gal) instead of Blythe, CA (~$3.79/gal), which is just on the other side of the Colorado River.
Turbo29 is offline   Reply With Quote