Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-08-2019, 11:24 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Scam. Had one like this for a piano. Did not bother to reply.

brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2019, 06:10 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Yep a scam. I had a guy want to do the same mover thing when I had my car for sale on Autotrader.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:31 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Google "Craigslist car scams" and look for your situation. I'm betting you'll find it.

We were instantly hit with "Will buy your John Deere lawn tractor for more than your asking price with a cashiers check," which is a way of saying, "We'll take your valuable tractor and run away, while you find out in 2 months that the cashiers check was fake and are stuck with paying back your bank."

The part about paying the movers is a little different, but still sounds scammy. I'm betting the "movers" are in on the scam. They'll be paid when the scammer sells your truck.

Cash and carry...that's my rule. I put it in my ads. I wanted to use "In God we trust, all others pay cash" but decided it might offend religious buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
So I'm selling a pickup truck. Listed it on Nextdoor and Craigslist. Lots of interest because it's a fully tricked out, albeit vintage, 4x4 toyota.

The legit buyers are all asking questions about the suspension and arranging when to come see it.

This one person texts and says he'll pay full price is a certified check ok. I offer to show him the truck, and that I'd prefer cash or cashiers check. Then he says he'll send me a cashiers check for more than the amount, and arrange for movers to pick up the 4x4. I'm supposed to pay the movers with the extra money.

Um.... no...

While I suppose there is a chance this is a legit transaction, too many odd ball things... it stinks. I responded that I'd be happy to show him the truck and do the transaction in person.... No mailing of checks and *me* paying the movers.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:16 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I NEVER sell or buy anything without meeting the other party, usually at a public place if I can. And payments are ALWAYS in cash. In fact, I learned that lot of the scams are not even about money. You will get stupid questions/paragraph (usually generic and with grammatical errors) which leads you to reply. What they want is your e-mail or phone number!
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:42 AM   #25

As a buyer I would not want to be carrying that much cash, the seller can be a scam artist too. I would meet them at their bank, and initiate a direct transfer from their account to yours. Or better yet, get an escrow account.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:50 AM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

What about wiring the money to the sellers account?
Hellcat707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:49 AM   #27

I always do car transactions where a check is involved at the buyer's bank. I bring the title and I watch as they get the check from the teller and we sign over the documents right at one of the bank's desks.

It is really really hard for a bank teller to scam you this way.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:52 AM   #28

Exact same thing happened to us with a TRUE treadmill. High end treadmill. Long story, no question, a scam
Old 11-09-2019, 08:55 AM   #29

I was an idiot and almost got scammed. Not this exact scenario but I am damn lucky someone overheard me in a conversation about selling my wife's car. I luckily was able to fix it. I've always been a bit cynical. Now I'm like the old curmudgeon.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat707 View Post
What about wiring the money to the sellers account?
Why would the buyer not want to see the car/item to be sure the seller is not a scammer ??
Old 11-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
Cashier's checks are too easy to counterfeit. Cash only! It's a scam.
What I did is meet the buyer at my bank, which is located in a tiny "mall" with a gas station, small grocery store and the bank... they inspected the car and we went for a test drive... he made made an offer and I accepted... we walk into my bank and he hands me the purchase price and I hand the cash to the teller and she deposits it to my account... then I sign over the title and handed the signed title and the keys to the buyer.

I don't even bother to respond to the obvious scam responses anymore.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I always do car transactions where a check is involved at the buyer's bank. I bring the title and I watch as they get the check from the teller and we sign over the documents right at one of the bank's desks.

It is really really hard for a bank teller to scam you this way.
I have bought vehicles this way. I went with the seller to my bank, and asked for a certified check from the teller. Sellers were happy to hand me the title in exchange for my check, inside the bank where everything is in front of the teller and recorded on their security camera.

PS. If I withdrew tens of thousands in cash at the bank, they would report me to the government. And carrying that much cash around is not safe.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
What I did is meet the buyer at my bank, which is located in a tiny "mall" with a gas station, small grocery store and the bank... they inspected the car and we went for a test drive... he made made an offer and I accepted... we walk into my bank and he hands me the purchase price and I hand the cash to the teller and she deposits it to my account... then I sign over the title and handed the signed title and the keys to the buyer.

I don't even bother to respond to the obvious scam responses anymore.
What we did was meet the buyer at a local Costco. They inspected the car, test drove it and we agreed upon a price. Met again the following day at the same location, they turned over the cash & we signed over the title and off they went with my 'baby' (a beautiful '94 cobalt blue Camaro, 15 years old, always garaged, no accidents/scratches with only 80K miles!). Had the car been worth much $$$, we would have met them at the bank for the transfer.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

When my son sold his car while still living with us, the buyer was paying in cash and it was only a few $K.

However, the title was not pre-signed, so there would be some delay. The buyer suggested to us that we could call a notary public to come to our house right at that moment. I did not know that such service existed. It cost $50 or something, and my son was happy to pay the fee to get it done.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:07 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

That is actually a great tip-off to a scam buyer. They are so eager! They want the item so badly that they will pay you sight unseen!

On Craigslist? Gimme a break. Everyone wants to kick the tires, even on things that don't have any tires!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Why would the buyer not want to see the car/item to be sure the seller is not a scammer ??
Old 11-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have bought vehicles this way. I went with the seller to my bank, and asked for a certified check from the teller. Sellers were happy to hand me the title in exchange for my check, inside the bank where everything is in front of the teller and recorded on their security camera.
We sold a vehicle exactly this way - went to the sellers bank and saw the bank issue me the check.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
What we did was meet the buyer at a local Costco. They inspected the car, test drove it and we agreed upon a price. Met again the following day at the same location, they turned over the cash & we signed over the title and off they went with my 'baby' (a beautiful '94 cobalt blue Camaro, 15 years old, always garaged, no accidents/scratches with only 80K miles!). Had the car been worth much $$$, we would have met them at the bank for the transfer.
I wasn't confident in my ability to differentiate between real and fake $100 bills... which is why I asked the buyer to meet me at my bank... if the teller accepted the bills and gave me a deposit slip then at that point I figured that it was their problem.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I wasn't confident in my ability to differentiate between real and fake $100 bills... which is why I asked the buyer to meet me at my bank... if the teller accepted the bills and gave me a deposit slip then at that point I figured that it was their problem.
Excellent point!
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
So I'm selling a pickup truck. Listed it on Nextdoor and Craigslist. Lots of interest because it's a fully tricked out, albeit vintage, 4x4 toyota.

The legit buyers are all asking questions about the suspension and arranging when to come see it.

This one person texts and says he'll pay full price is a certified check ok. I offer to show him the truck, and that I'd prefer cash or cashiers check. Then he says he'll send me a cashiers check for more than the amount, and arrange for movers to pick up the 4x4. I'm supposed to pay the movers with the extra money.

Um.... no...

While I suppose there is a chance this is a legit transaction, too many odd ball things... it stinks. I responded that I'd be happy to show him the truck and do the transaction in person.... No mailing of checks and *me* paying the movers.
Definitely a scam...we get that all the time when we run "for sales" in local paper. If you want to double check, tell them that you require to talk to them in person before going any further and ask them to call you....they won't.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #40

A friend got this kind of scam contact, recognized it, and decided to play the game for a while.

The cashier check was a beauty! Absolutely genuine looking although the buyer was in the Southeast and the check was drawn on a bank in Montana. From the bank address it looked like it was at the far end of a goat trail -- trying to get more time clearing before it bounced.

Dave called the bank. The guy laughed and said "we've been getting a lot of those lately."

OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote