Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Congratulations! It only took one day to resolve this and you seem much calmer. I think this was the right decision for you. Much better not to burn any bridges if you are not certain.
I've actually been contemplating it for about 10 days. I've flip flopped a dozen times. But when the new boss asked if I made a decision I went with the first thing I felt, and that was to take the job. Definitely the right decision - now I get to w*ork a year for free LOL

Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm late to the thread and was going to say to continue working just to calm yourself . Just don't question yourself if you've made the right decision.

...glad to see there're more worry warts... I thought I was the only one. The OMY syndrome sounds serious: Is it contagious or only individually inflicted?

Old 06-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
...glad to see there're more worry warts... I thought I was the only one. The OMY syndrome sounds serious: Is it contagious or only individually inflicted?
I think it is pretty contagious, although IIRC the last major epidemic of OMY syndrome was in 2008.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think it is pretty contagious, although IIRC the last major epidemic of OMY syndrome was in 2008.
My entire decision is based upon 2008 ! My calculations go to poop if we have a 10% or more market pullback that doesn't recover within a year. I now know that I want NEED a 10 - 15% cushion in my portfolio to feel confident in ER.

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #45

If FIREcalc says you are good to go, then you are good to go. :-) you are welcome :-) .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
Where is ObGyn65 telling me if FIREcalc says I am good to go then I am good to go ?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #46

Central America to be exact. Just flew back last night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
In South America up to his elbows in his work?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Central America to be exact. Just flew back last night.
Welcome home !

Old 06-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #48

Spoke to my sister about 'un-retiring' who said "thank G-d ! I didn't want to say anything but I know you would have been driving yourself nuts 24/7 if you retired". Yep --- definitely the right decision emotionally , even tho it may have not been necessary financially.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Shouldn't your signature line read "succumbed to two more years (2MY) syndrome"?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #50

Quote:
Shouldn't your signature line read "succumbed to two more years (2MY) syndrome"?
LOL good point. How about OMY x 2 ?

Old 06-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #51

Well, nevermind. After three days with the bosses we determined that the new position wasn't viable after all. I will find a part time job close to home so I don't freak out the first time an unexpected expense comes up. And at 85 if my portfolio is dry I will learn to live on social security like so many others already do.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #52

Well, I know you wanted this to work so I'm sorry it didn't. OTOH, I have a feeling that this may have been the best thing to happen to you....
Old 06-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Well, I know you wanted this to work so I'm sorry it didn't. OTOH, I have a feeling that this may have been the best thing to happen to you....
+1

I bet everything will go well and you'll learn to enjoy...
Old 06-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When consumed by doubt, it is better to have the decision made for us!
Old 06-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #55

I guess it's been a case of 2MY syndrome for me also. :-) you are not alone, Live and Learn :-)
Quote:
Old 06-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #56

Thanks everyone. I suspect that you are right and I will find that the new role not panning out is a blessing in disguise. I tend to obsess about things and FI / RE were my latest, and as with all the other obsessions, I'm sure I've gone overboard.

I have vowed to myself to find something else to obsess about. Maybe I'll just obsess about finding an obsession for awhile !

Old 06-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #57

Negotiating another work at home opportunity. Needs to be approved by senior management. Whoever said I am not emotionally ready for retirement is completely right - I feel so much better when these work opportunities come up. Wish me luck !