I'm FIRE'd! Intro plus questions!

So What About the 'Soda Cracker' - what's it look like in 2009 vs 2005?

Ok guys so you've probably caught the drift by now that I'm a longtime computer geek with very little investment savvy....and I'm not blessed/ cursed with the testosterone level to want to be in direct daily control of my investments.

That said, at least for these first few years of ER, I'm thnking we are probably a prime candidates for the 'Soda Cracker' Portfolio in WLLM.

My 2005 edition of WLLM shows the funds to consider for such a portfolio as follows:

VSCGX - Vanguard LifeStrategy Conservative Growth 8.84% 20 year avg.

VWEHX - Wellington Fund, 8.33% since inception

In looking at Vanguard performance data, I see the following returns for these investments today:

VSCGX - 6.57% (Since inception 1994)
VWEHX - 8.3% (Since inception 1929)

VSCGX - -15.62 1 year, 4.21% YTD 2009
VWEHX - -8.18% 1 year, 19.59% YTD 2009

So based on the valuable info I'm hearing on this forum, and the data above, I'm thinking a very real option of going 'soda cracker' with my 750K longer term investment (450K 401K and 300K currently in CD's), possibly all to Wellington or a split between the two above.

In searching threads it appears that its been about 3 years since there's been any discussion on this type of strategy.

I'd appreciate any current thoughts on this strategy given my situation and also whether there are other such funds not mentioned in the 2005 edition, that should now be considered? (I looked at DODBX but it didn't seem to ride the meltdown as well as the two funds noted above and the .18% expense ratio for VWEHX is very attractive).

Oops! The Wellington Fund should have been VWELX not VWEHX.

That puts expense ratio at .23
Performance since inception at 7.99%
Performance in last year -18.32%
Performance YTD at 5.06%

Back
Top Bottom