I called American Express' automated line three times
to try to get my balance, but kept being switched to an
operator who wanted my name, rank, serial number and
blood type to give me the information. So I asked for a
supervisor to find out why I kept getting switched to an
operator. He said it is set up that way so they can tell me
about their current promotions... in other words.. to try to
sell me something

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: I'm Fixin to Cut Up My American Express Card
Old 01-15-2007, 09:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Last time I called AmEx was about a month ago. I got so pissed I finally hung up. I think they have people from other countries answering the phone. They ask you 50 questions and then make like they have no idea what the heck your talking about. Haven't used the card since.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:25 PM   #3

Seems like every time I travel on my bike, and get gas and food in different states over a short period of time I get rejected due to AMEX's fraud alert program. The store or restaurant has to call AMEX and get an ID check on me. Now when it happens I just tell them to use my Visa.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Gave up on amex about 12 years ago. We had a little 'dispute' over about $30 on a corporate card that was charged after I left the company that issued it...probably my admin ordering some office supplies and used my old card # by accident.

Anyhow, I went a full cycle 5 different times with amex customer service reps...heres my info, heres what happened, heres the paperwork showing the date I left the company, heres a copy of the credit receipt WITHOUT my signature made AFTER I left the company and heres the company's policy paperwork showing I surrendered the card a week earlier. At the end of each cycle the rep said "yep, you're right, we'll credit the charge" I'd get another bill and call to find that the rep I had spoken with before "was no longer with amex".

So I let them slap that on my credit report for 7 years, stopped putting 50-80k a year through my personal amex card, and that was that.

The very funny part was a year or two ago Costco was jumping all over me to sign up for one of their combo amex/costco cards for a 3% rebate or some such. I filled out the "instant acceptance" form and got rejected by AMEX. Guess they're going to keep this dispute going as long as possible.

Buttheads.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
The very funny part was a year or two ago Costco was jumping all over me to sign up for one of their combo amex/costco cards for a 3% rebate or some such. I filled out the "instant acceptance" form and got rejected by AMEX. Guess they're going to keep this dispute going as long as possible.

Buttheads.

My wife ended up getting that Amex Costco card stating around a 2 % return but when I started reading the fine print, I think we'd end up getting more line 1/2 %. One day I'll finish reading the whole page.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The 'executive member' status nets you 2%, and the amex pays 1% for costco purchases (2% for travel and 3% for eating out IIRC). The sams discover card is the weaselly one that talks up 2% and 3% rebates but its on discover cards 'scale' that pays almost nothing for the first xx dollars and works its way up to the full amount.

The executive member card from costco is a no-brainer, even aside from the amex option. It costs $50 more a year but if you dont get at least $50 in 2% rebates, go to the customer service desk and they'll hand you the cash difference to make up for it, just to keep you at the executive level. So far in my first two years with the executive card the rebates have paid for my entire membership plus a little something extra.

Executive members also get to go into the store an hour earlier than regular members, which means no checkout lines, even at the busier stores.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny

Executive members also get to go into the store an hour earlier than regular members, which means no checkout lines, even at the busier stores.
I'm and Executive Member and I didn't know you could get in an hour earlier, as a matter of fact when I was doint Christmas shopping I remember there being a line up but no on was aloud in ealier and they couldn't anyway since the front doors where locked. It doesn't hurt to ask as the store next time I'm there.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:47 AM   #8

I have been using the AMEX Blue card for a couple years now to get the cash back. I hardly ever have to speak to anyone because I check my balance online, and they send me an email notification at the end of every billing cycle telling me how much the bill is, and I epay the bill. It's very efficient. The few times I have spoken to a person, they did have an Indian accent.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:01 AM   #9

Same here, check my balance and transactions on line, pay on line. Don't think I've ever talked to anyone there.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious
I epay the bill. It's very efficient.
The biggest annoyance I have with my costco amex card is that they are the only credit card company I've ever used that won't automatically pay their bill out of my checking account. As far as I can tell their business model is to hope that I will forget to pay the bill and incur hefty late charges. Very consumer-unfriendly.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:10 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

What a coincidence -- I just got off the phone with Amex asking them why I keep getting credit card offers from them despite being on the national credit card opt-out list.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
What a coincidence -- I just got off the phone with Amex asking them why I keep getting credit card offers from them despite being on the national credit card opt-out list.
I think that if a company has an existing relationship with you, the opt out list does not bar them from sending you credit card offers. But, you can tell AMEX to stop sending solicitations.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #13

Speaking of sleazy credit-card company tricks, my CapitalOne 1% cashback
card formerly credited the 1% automatically to my statement in January.
Wondering where it was this time 'round, turns in you have to call in to
their "rewards program" and request it. Pretty scummy, I'm sure they're
hoping people won't realize this.

Penfed is looking better and better. They credit it every month. You call in
and get a "real person" right away, who can also answer questions about your
other accounts (money market certificates, etc). I like the idea of a card issued
by a credit union instead of a bank, assuming that the former are less evil.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now
The biggest annoyance I have with my costco amex card is that they are the only credit card company I've ever used that won't automatically pay their bill out of my checking account. As far as I can tell their business model is to hope that I will forget to pay the bill and incur hefty late charges. Very consumer-unfriendly.
Actually, you can arrange to have payment automatically taken from your checking account to pay your Amex bill. However, you have to call and ask the resident of India to send you the paperwork. It took some 'splaining to get her to understand that I didn't want to use Amex to pay other bills, but wanted to pay my Amex bill, but she finally understood and sent me the form. From then on it's easy.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfpelican
Actually, you can arrange to have payment automatically taken from your checking account to pay your Amex bill. However, you have to call and ask the resident of India to send you the paperwork. It took some 'splaining to get her to understand that I didn't want to use Amex to pay other bills, but wanted to pay my Amex bill, but she finally understood and sent me the form. From then on it's easy.
That is what I am in the process of doing but AMEX does not make it easy. I called and asked the nice Indian lady for the forms and they sent the wrong ones. So I am starting over. And it takes a lot of time. I should be able to just load the electonic information directly onto the AMEX web page, but no, that would be too easy for me and a chance for lost revenue for AMEX. But other than the direct pay, I like the card and COSTCO.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:16 PM   #16
Administrator

I just checked and it appears you can use the Amex website to setup payments from your checking account to pay the Amex bill (I don't, because I like to write the check). However, it appears that you need to go on-line and authorize the payment each time, so it is not as "automatic" as you may wish.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:38 PM   #17

I found a way to call for my account balance
without being auto transferred to a salesman.
I elect the " other " option, then say main menu
then elect balance.

My AMX card gives me cash back for all purchases
with no annual fee... so wonder AMX is always trying
to sell me something or change my type of account :P

Old 01-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby
I just checked and it appears you can use the Amex website to setup payments from your checking account to pay the Amex bill (I don't, because I like to write the check). However, it appears that you need to go on-line and authorize the payment each time, so it is not as "automatic" as you may wish.
Yes, I did that for years. But when I travel, I don't want to sign into their website to pay. I also want it on auto-pilot in case I get alzheimers (see related topic). It's not automatic...you have to go to their website, hope the payment page is up, and pay the bill.

The nice Indian lady can help you sign up for automatic payment, assuming you ever get her to understand and send the correct form.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:07 AM   #19

"But when I travel, I don't want to sign into their website to pay. I also want it on auto-pilot in case I get alzheimers "

You can call them to arrange payment from your bank account (no charge at the present time). This gets around security issues on public computers. Doesn't solve the alzheimers problem tho and don't know if calling from overseas is a free call.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:14 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Amex has an opt out sheet that I filled out when I got the card and I marked the box that told them never to solicit me over the phone and they never have.

I have the platinum amex which has a special number. It goes directly to a rep with no hold time, they only ask for acard number.