Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2015, 06:02 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Though you clearly meant no harm whatsoever, this well intended misquote has floated thru here before. Certainly something to think about/worth sharing, but the Dalai Lama never said it despite the many online links that erroneously say otherwise. Even Forbes fell for it. In the Internet/social media age, misinformation is rapidly reinforced and becomes widely accepted all too quickly - 'Ain't technology (Internet/social media) grand...'

Quote by James J. Lachard: “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because h...”
NT Blog: That Dalai Lama Quotation, and the Historical Sceptic
Kenneth Wong SF: Einstein, the Dalai Lama, and the Forgotten Art of Fact Checking
And many other credible sources.
Ah, thanks. That does happen a lot. I have thought for years it was the Dalai Lama but alas no. Regardless, it is wise and I think most folks on this site get it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2015, 06:08 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwanted View Post
Thanks for all the great responses. One more thing to consider: if I turn down the position, another may not open up again like this. . .
My father is a type A person. He worked until he was 71. He wanted to lock in a small pension so it was somewhat about the money, but he would continually say that he didn't know what he'd do with his time if he retired.

I think you and your wife are in the same boat as my dad was. You haven't figured out what you're going to do with your time and so you think you might not have enough to do to satisfy your type A personality.

My dad is now 84 and he's just now starting to slow down a little due to his age. In the last 10 years, he always had something to do. You're a type A person. You will find things to do and things to do will find you. Unless you would do the job you're considering for free (i.e. you love it), then I would not do it.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:34 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No. When I announced my retirement many people who know me well thought I would be climbing the walls but I have been pleasantly surprised how content I can be just puttering around doing this or that. Leave the door open but take a clean break for a while.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've read it! Helped me to realize FT wasn't for me. Excellent read.
In the Millionaire Next Door most of the study millionaires worked because they loved what they did. Many had their own businesses. I am sure if you looked around you could find something you loved to do where you could also have more control over your own hours and more fun, less stress.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I was in a similar position 4 years ago. The company that I was CEO of got acquired and I was given an earn out with the acquiring company. I only lasted 1 year of the earn out contract because I was ready to move on to ER, including a 1 year travel sabbatical with my kids.

Now several years later I haven't returned to work. I do some pro bono work, some angel investing, and a few weeks of paid consulting work each year. That is enough to keep me in the loop, as I still routinely get job offers from friends and contacts. (I'm now 45.)

My point is that there is some reason you are considering ER. Taking at least 6 months off to put your toes in the sand with no commitments is very helpful to come to an understanding of what you want out of the rest of your life.

Type A's aren't forbidden to ER, they just need to focus that ambition on other pursuits.

Also, considering your success, there will likely always be new career opportunities available to pursue.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 03-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One consideration not mentioned ... going from 60 MPH (full time) to 0 MPH (retired) might shock the Type A.

The 2 day/wk would ease the transition.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Can't everyone just make up my mind for me Lol...

Thank you all for the great comments and advice. It really helps, honestly.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:43 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

A perspective from someone who has been there...

With about half your assets (but single, so it was more than enough for me) I ER'd in early 2012 I did a quite a bit of travel, and tried to get engaged in local non-profits, but found myself seeking mental stimulation. A role came along in late 2013 that I figured would use my skills, but required a move and a two year commitment. I went for it, thinking "how bad could it be?"

Well, it has been 16 months, and most of it has been torture. I am using my brain, but primarily to deal with the corrosive politics of the new organization. I have ten times more responsibility than I signed up for, and am really looking forward to hitting 24 months so I can move on. I made a commitment, and I will keep it. But it has taken a toll on my health and happiness that I could not have predicted. It is even more frustrating for me because I didn't need the job, and could have continued to look, but didn't want to pass in case the window on my particular skill set closed - I figured a job that needed exactly my skills and paid well wouldn't come along again.

I encourage you to think long and hard before deciding to do this. Investigate the organization to know what you are getting yourself into. There are other ways to spend you time and energy, especially if you don't need the money.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, Lagniappe. Great advice. I am working on checking out the situation prior to making any firm decisions. There really is no pressure, other than that I put on myself. Ah, that damn type A personality again!
Old 03-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagniappe View Post
A perspective from someone who has been there...

With about half your assets (but single, so it was more than enough for me) I ER'd in early 2012 I did a quite a bit of travel, and tried to get engaged in local non-profits, but found myself seeking mental stimulation. A role came along in late 2013 that I figured would use my skills, but required a move and a two year commitment. I went for it, thinking "how bad could it be?"

Well, it has been 16 months, and most of it has been torture. I am using my brain, but primarily to deal with the corrosive politics of the new organization. I have ten times more responsibility than I signed up for, and am really looking forward to hitting 24 months so I can move on. I made a commitment, and I will keep it. But it has taken a toll on my health and happiness that I could not have predicted. It is even more frustrating for me because I didn't need the job, and could have continued to look, but didn't want to pass in case the window on my particular skill set closed - I figured a job that needed exactly my skills and paid well wouldn't come along again.

I encourage you to think long and hard before deciding to do this. Investigate the organization to know what you are getting yourself into. There are other ways to spend you time and energy, especially if you don't need the money.

I would have left a LONG time ago.... a commitment is a two way street... if they are not keeping their side of the agreement, then why should I keep mine

And that is what I was trying to say to the OP... sure, you make a commitment to work 2 years with some understanding of what is supposed to happen... but if it does not, then time to move on....

As an example... say they agreed to pay your X.... but 6 months in the company is having some big problems and decides to cut everybody's pay by 20%..... so you now make .8X.... would you stick around Not me if I did not need the job.... or if there was something else that made up for the lower wage.... like flex time or something else good...
Old 04-30-2015, 07:16 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

After so much great wisdom and advice I thought an update would be nice:

I am part-time now in the same current j*b. I have not accepted the other part-time position. I am seeing that I can keep myself busy, am ok financially, so really wondering the benefit.

A lesson learned here is to transition to PT if possible when debating the issue of ER. Gives a glimpse into what it might be like - especially the younger you are.

I'm really leaning towards full FIRE. I'll update again in a few months.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:39 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
After so much great wisdom and advice I thought an update would be nice:

I am part-time now in the same current j*b. I have not accepted the other part-time position. I am seeing that I can keep myself busy, am ok financially, so really wondering the benefit.

A lesson learned here is to transition to PT if possible when debating the issue of ER. Gives a glimpse into what it might be like - especially the younger you are.

I'm really leaning towards full FIRE. I'll update again in a few months.

Congrats on going PT!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-01-2015, 12:25 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the update and glad you can use the PT work to help guide your decision.