Join Early Retirement Today

I'm in AMT Hell - anyone understand how to recover AMT Credit from ISO exercise?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm in AMT Hell - anyone understand how to recover AMT Credit from ISO exercise?

If you don't know what AMT or ISOs are skip this (it'll make your head spin!)

If you understand how to recover AMT credit caused by an ISO exercise please help me. My head is spinning!

In 2000 an ISO exercise produced an AMT adjustment of $150K which caused $30K in AMT to be payed. Regular basis is $200. In subsequent years I used the AMT credit and now have $14K remaining. This year I sold the stock for $40,000. I'm trying to figure out how to draw down my remaining AMT credit as quickly as possible. So,

Reg Gain: 39,800
AMT Gain: -110,000 (40,000 - 150,000)

2006 AMT Gain: -3000 (limited)
2006 Adjustment: = -42800 (-3000 - 39800)
Form 6251 Line 16: -42800
2007 AMT Captital Loss Carryover = -107,000

If I plug these numbers in I get to use 7,000 in AMT credit, so I'll have 7,000 credit remaining. Since the law is changing for 2007, I should be able to use this credit over the next 2 years (5,000 then 2,000). I'll also have -3000 in AMT adjustments each year (line 16 6251) until the -107,000 is used. (That'll take 35 years!!)

It seems strange that I can't recoup my AMT credit after selling the original ISOs that caused the tax.
I'm not certain the above is correct. Can someone with better knowledge please confirm?

Thanks.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: I'm in AMT Hell - anyone understand how to recover AMT Credit from ISO exercise?
Old 04-13-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Re: I'm in AMT Hell - anyone understand how to recover AMT Credit from ISO exercise?

Without go over the numbers in great detail it looks like you are doing it correctly. I am less confident that your AMT capital loss carryover is being done correctly. Recovery period for AMT credits generated by ISO exercise are often in the decades, which is why Congress passed the law (actually they pass it for different reasons) to speed up the recover period.

But don't take my word it for Fairmark.com has lots of articles on AMT. Here is one
http://www.fairmark.com/amt/caplosstrap.htm, as well as wonderful forum. Although I suspect folks maybe more responsive after Tuesday.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow ... this is exactly why I 've used an accountant for the last 15+ years; $300 is a small price to pay.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Re: I'm in AMT Hell - anyone understand how to recover AMT Credit from ISO exerc

Thanks Clif! I got a good education over at Fairmark.com.

Tryan - I tried that route and it didn't work for me. Good for you if you found someone you can trust.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I finally sold the stock I acquired via exercised ISO, I just used the AMT basis to calculate the AMT cap gain difference from regular tax in form 6251 (line 16 maybe?). It was a negative number.

Prior to that, I used form 8801 to take any AMT credits due me from prior year ISO exercises, and this would carry the tax credit forward as appropriate. Of course I filled out line 13 of form 6251 for any year that I exercised stock options.

I think if you fill out 6251 and 8801 that should get you carrying forward any excess ATM credit you aren't able to take this year.

Sorry, this is the best I can remember of the details.

Audrey