I'm investing in 34 dozen eggs.

I've heard of a guywho hasn't had any fresh vegetables since Jan. 1, 2001 his DW is making him finish the canned goods he bought for Y2K :) :) :)

My neighbor said he was going to "pre buy" clothing for his daughter for the next several years - expecting prices to rise and taking advantage of current prices.

I thought he was joking. He was serious. Unbelievable.
When I was a kid, lots of parents used to buy clothes several sizes too big for their kids, so the clothes would last! Pants legs and long sleeves would get rolled up, and girls' dresses would be double hemmed, until the child had grown enough to fit into the too-big clothing.

But then, kids grow like weeds. I think this was only for clothes that would fit in a year or two.

People are loading up on the wrong stuff...

I just bought three pairs of shoes today to add to my three new pairs that I've bought in the last couple of months and that I haven't worn yet.

I'm prepared for a run on shoes :rolleyes:

I just bought three pairs of shoes today to add to my three new pairs that I've bought in the last couple of months and that I haven't worn yet.

I'm prepared for a run on shoes :rolleyes:

:D Just think what will happen if we have a chocolate shortage. Oh the humanity..

I pre-buy clothes for my kids at garage sales, but my kids are really little and I usually pay less than 50 cents for clothes for them. So if I see some really nice clothes four or five sizes out, I'll get them. At best, I'll have complete kids wardrobes for 5 years for less than $20/year. At worst, I'll sell them at a garage sale and make the $20 back. But once they get their own fashion ideas, I'm sure this strategy will become useless.

As far as stocking up goes --- we're loading up on strawberries to make a year's worth (or two, if I can swing it) of strawberry jam. It's 80 degrees here today and I'm going to be stirring bubbling fruit on a hot stove. But maybe I can negotiate a trade with Brewer....

Well, out here in LDS Country...a one year supply is "required". Houses have a food storage room designed for just this purpose. The concept is that "when it happens" the Mormons will survive and take over the world...or words to that effect. Additionally, guns are also a way of life here and it is reported that there are three of them for every man woman and child in the state.

Sadly, the local Costco I am talking about was in Utah. :D

I have yet to get a gun though....:confused:

From the OP's linked article:

"The main reason for rising prices, of course, is the surge in demand from China and India. Hundreds of millions of people are joining the middle class each year, and that means they want to eat more and better food.
A secondary reason has been the growing demand for ethanol as a fuel additive. That's soaking up some of the corn supply."
Worth remembering that until recently, average daily caloric intake of a Chinese citizen was approximately 1000. Rural poor have only in the past generation exceeded a malnourished, if not starvation diet. In many areas, meat is an annual pleasure during the New Year's celebration.
Frame of reference: average caloric intake of German WWII concentration camp victim was @ 750 (actual number depended on race/ religion).
So enough may be more apt than "more and better."
Also, maybe scrutiny of diets, in this land of rampant obesity and diabetes, and a Weight Watchers/ Curves/ all you can eat joint in each town, ought to be self directed.

Well, out here in LDS Country...a one year supply is "required". Houses have a food storage room designed for just this purpose. The concept is that "when it happens" the Mormons will survive and take over the world...or words to that effect. Additionally, guns are also a way of life here and it is reported that there are three of them for every man woman and child in the state.
Doesn't worry me ... I doubt that I'd want to survive in a situation where the 'God and guns' crazies were in charge.

The main reason for rising prices, of course, is the surge in demand from China. Hundreds of millions of people are joining the middle class each year, and that means they want to eat more and better food.

And they're going to be hungry again in half an hour!

Why rice? I don't even like rice....it's just empty carbs to me. Well, white rice, anyway...I do like the long grain and wild rice mixture on occasion.

Why rice? I don't even like rice....it's just empty carbs to me. Well, white rice, anyway...I do like the long grain and wild rice mixture on occasion.

Because the media said so.

My Boss is Mormon and he does indeed have a year's supply of food in his garage. It's mostly in large silver packages of stuff like flour, rice, sugar, etc. plus a big barrel of water.

I always tell him that when the zombie apocalypse comes I don't need to have food hoarded I just need to know where he lives and have a bigger gun.

Back
Top Bottom