Join Early Retirement Today
I'm Not as Smart as Harvard~Good Deal!
Old 10-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I'm Not as Smart as Harvard~Good Deal!

This seems a bit speculative to me, but I'm not that smart about this kind of sophisticated investment.

Harvard paid $497.6 million to investment banks during the fiscal year ended June 30 to get out of $1.1 billion of interest-rate swaps intended to hedge variable-rate debt for capital projects, the school’s annual report said. The university in Cambridge, Massachusetts, said it also agreed to pay $425 million over 30 to 40 years to offset an additional $764 million in swaps.
The transactions began losing value last year as central banks slashed benchmark lending rates, forcing the university to post collateral with lenders, said Daniel Shore, Harvard’s chief financial officer. Some agreements require that the parties post collateral if there are significant changes in interest rates.
Harvard’s Bet on Interest Rate Rise Cost $500 Million to Exit -

Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Ouch, I see my university got sucked into them too. I suspect that I will also get a letter asking for me to bail them out.
Angels danced on the day that you were born.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote