Join Early Retirement Today

I'm Prepping for Another Free Meal/Seminar
Old 08-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I'm Prepping for Another Free Meal/Seminar

I have not attended a seminar/dinner in about a year or so and I am in need for a freebie as DW is out of town visiting the folks and I am here fending for myself.

I'm committed to attending the Tue 8/17 show at a nice restaurant close to my place (<3mi).

A partial list of "what you will learn":

How to avoid the 50% tax on your IRA.

How to stretch your IRA into a million dollar family legacy.

Why you should fire your broker and stop paying commissions.

How to design your portfolio so you can maxamize income for life.

How to protect what you've got and plan to retire before old age.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What product should I expect them to pitch, other than EIA?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

They want you to buy an annuity.

Rich
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
They want you to buy an annuity.

Rich
+1
Old 08-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #4

I can remember years ago before I woke up to the world of investing with a broker.

Asked my broker what the commission was on a certain product and he said there is none the mutual fund company paid him. Hmmmm
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If you do buy an annuity, make sure you sweeten the deal (for the insurance company) by accepting a financial advisor. A friend of mine did that and the FA takes her lunch every year. She speaks of those lunches as if they are part of her busy social calendar.

Not to worry, I once went to a free lunch; it was just a lousy sandwich and coke in a conference room. The fund company never came after me, just gave me a card in case I wanted to contact them. Hope your wife's trip does not get to be too expensive.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
That'd be my guess... there's been some articles in one of the trade rags we get showing how an annuity as part of a portfolio can help decrease risk and increase the withdrawal rate.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bit on a free lunch deal about a year and a half ago. It was a retirement seminar put on by Vanguard (my 401K was with them). Turned out to be a good lunch and a good checkup just before I retired.

I talked several retirement age coworkers into going just for fun. We got all our questions answered that day. I retired, they're still working.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
How to avoid the 50% tax on your IRA.
Old news............

Quote:
How to stretch your IRA into a million dollar family legacy.
Old news..............

Quote:
Why you should fire your broker and stop paying commissions.
"Because we can wrap those commissions into an overpriced insurance porduct"...............

Quote:
How to design your portfolio so you can maxamize income for life.
Annuity...............

Quote:
How to protect what you've got and plan to retire before old age.
Annuity............

Quote:
VA with living benefit rider, maybe life insurance. What company is sponsoring?? (Don't say Ameriprise).............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Everytime I look at the title of this thread...all I can think of is colonoscopy.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #10

It's a VA. Equity Indexed annuities are about to be a thing of the past I believe.JMO
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Everytime I look at the title of this thread...all I can think of is colonoscopy.
Hey, at least he gets fed..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #12

sounds like a living trust seminar to me
Old 08-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Not to worry, I once went to a free lunch; it was just a lousy sandwich and coke in a conference room. The fund company never came after me, just gave me a card in case I wanted to contact them.
I went to a free lunch this past Friday. And no one even tried to sell me (or anyone else for that matter) anything. All I had to do was listen to a couple of engineers give a short presentation, then I took a tour of the facility.....after that it was a nice ribeye, baked 'tater, green bean casserole, fresh sliced tomatoes, slaw, and dessert.

Oh, and the location......the local landfill!!! No sh*t!!! Just goes to show that I'll do almost anything for a free meal! I've also toured a couple of local industries during their open houses, and had free lunches, too.

They were having a PR open house to tout to the community how environmentally conscientious they are.......and they actually really are! For several years before I ER'd, I used to do some lab testing for them on a regular basis, so I'm quite familiar with their methods and operations.

Going out there for that has given me a new line to add to my shtick......."I'm just a poor old retired guy on a fixed income. In fact I'm so darn poor I went out to the city dump to eat lunch!"

------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW.....I didn't even see any rats or FA's while I was there, so that's a major plus to start with!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Hey, at least he gets fed..........
Don't we do that to pig's.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
BTW.....I didn't even see any rats or FA's while I was there, so that's a major plus to start with!!!
What do you think went into the lunch? Of course there weren't any to be seen after they rounded them up for the mystery meat sandwiches!
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I went to a free lunch this past Friday. And no one even tried to sell me (or anyone else for that matter) anything. All I had to do was listen to a couple of engineers give a short presentation, then I took a tour of the facility.....after that it was a nice ribeye, baked 'tater, green bean casserole, fresh sliced tomatoes, slaw, and dessert.

Oh, and the location......the local landfill!!!
How do you get invited to something to something like this? That lunch sounds good to me!
Ha
Old 08-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
How do you get invited to something to something like this? That lunch sounds good to me!
Ha
Usually it's simply a function of living in the right ZIP code with suitable suckers demographics.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
What do you think went into the lunch? Of course there weren't any to be seen after they rounded them up for the mystery meat sandwiches!
Nah, it was catered by a very good and reputable caterer from a nearby town, and they wouldn't stoop so low as to use unsavory FA meat.....YUCK!!!

They grilled nice BEEF ribeye steaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
How do you get invited to something like this? That lunch sounds good to me!
Ha
They run an ad in the local newspapers, and it's open to anyone that wants to show up. Some of the other local industries do (or did) the same. About 2 months ago we toured the local sand company and enjoyed a nice cookout/picnic there. We had toured the sand company about 2 years ago too. And about 2 or 3 years ago we toured the Pilkington Glass plant and enjoyed a nice picnic there as well.

The local plastics manufacturers also used to have yearly tours, but have since ceased giving tours......one shut down operations here in the 80's, and the other one quit tours for security and safety issues.

I also received a personal invitation (by phone) to a FREE steak cookout this Thursday at the sewage disposal plant, but turned it down. Not because of the location....heck I ate lunch there for 30+ years.....but I'd just rather not share a meal with some of the people who are there. I told them I was going to be busy Thursday......I'm planning on changing the air in the backyard on that day! However, I did go for a steak cookout a couple of weeks ago with a bunch of other 'sewer' guys in another town.

Location, location, location.......um, no.....steak, Steak, STEAK!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:48 AM   #19

In a prior life, I was at companies that did tours for the public and used free gifts and food as the lure. We'd get a few local politicians that would show up and "press the flesh." There'd be a few activists that would try to button hole us "management types" to get us to change our ways. Then we'd get the people that were obviously there for the food and give aways (nothing more than standard company gimmees). Sometimes we'd actually get someone that seemed interested. They were usually 1 or 2 school science teachers that wanted to be able to talk to their classes about local industry.

We never served steak. We did Bar-B-Que once and were overwhelmed with attendees who ate and left. Mostly we did hot dogs, beans, potato salad and the usually garnishes.

I considered them a waste of time and money.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:24 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Waste for management... a boon for ERs
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote