Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-20-2018, 10:17 PM   #81
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Do you seriously think you have insight that others do not? People who's whole livelihoods hinge on keeping track of every nuance, influence and event that moves markets?
Well I do remember in 2008 when a whole lot of people lost a lot of money that wall street kept telling people not to sell.. that was just pure lying to people about their investments...

I can honestly say that I didn't loose a single penny during that time frame.. because of my insight... so I guess it worked then and I'm just saying there is a huge imbalance that I think was caused by the world banks lowering interest rates too low for too long... the bond market is still price inflated over par because of the interest rate situation and the rates have to go up just to drive the prices back to par...
dixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2018, 10:20 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The "staying in cash logic" reminds me of my recruiter trying to convince me to reinlist. While I'll never get rich, I'll always have 3 squares and a cot.
You mentioned 2008. In January 2008 the dow was at 13000. 10 years later it's 2018 and the Dow is at 24000. A solid 8% per year average growth. It took only 4 years to recover back to 2008 levels after that bubble burst.
Even if I go full in on equities, and it's the top of the bubble right now, I'm pretty sure I'd recover in 8 years and still see a reasonable return. And if I don't, well then, the rainbow is just that much closer then. I'll be averaging in over the next few weeks or months, depending how volatile the market remains.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:38 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixter View Post
Well I do remember in 2008 when a whole lot of people lost a lot of money that wall street kept telling people not to sell.. that was just pure lying to people about their investments...
I never sold, though I did tax loss harvest, and I came out smelling like a rose. No one knows when to jump out or to jump back in, which one would also need to do to correctly time the market.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:31 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck_Club View Post
when did they enter the market with their management?

Did they dump it all in at one time?
Did they unwind old positions to get you to a proper asset allocation?

If you were in all cash at this point in the cycle, how long would you take to reach full allocated asset balance?
I was self-directing my accounts which dropped about 40% during the subprime financial crises when I decided to go with their managed portfolios. At 59 years old at the time I went with a 60% stock, 40% bond and cash portfolio for my IRA and a 50% stocks for my non-IRA. I also have another IRA and Roth IRA held outside of the managed portfolios which are basically in index funds and the Contrafund which I've held continuously since the 70's. The portfolios have risen steadily during the long recovery we've enjoyed.

I sleep better at night now not stressing over what to do every time the market takes a turn one way or the other and just concentrate on enjoying my retirement. I've yet to need any of my IRA's. Having zero debt makes all the difference. I'm living off SS and 2 annuities I purchased from inheritance money I received about 10 years ago. Next year my IRA RMD's will begin.
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #85

Skipro33,

I still believe Fidelity owes you .... something for having really screwed this up.

You are very kind to stay with them ... I would use leaving to go to Vanguard or Schwab as leverage to get something from them ... I would also call Schwab and see if they are offering transfer bonuses from Fidelity.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Skipro33,

I still believe Fidelity owes you .... something for having really screwed this up.

You are very kind to stay with them ... I would use leaving to go to Vanguard or Schwab as leverage to get something from them ... I would also call Schwab and see if they are offering transfer bonuses from Fidelity.

I'm not sure what you mean by owes me? I agree they should have at leasted tried to make this right, but the manager I spoke with would only continue to explain how investing has no guarantees of any sort of performance. I'd argue back that all I wanted from them was an account that would match any run of the mill Growth With Income AA plus their fees and what I got was a total of 5% UNDER that. Then he kept putting it back onto me about my risk tolerance. I told him with the loss my account saw, I'd expect on a much more volatile AA and consequentially a much higher opportunity for growth. After two 1 hour each phone calls, I was going no where. He wasn't offering anything and I had the distinct feeling he isn't a position to. I can not see Fidelity offering me anything without it appearing they admit to screwing up. If they did that, I'd take them to court under the premise they failed as a fiduciary.

****EDIT****
Perhaps they should return their one percent management fee. If they did that, I'd be satisfied. Not happy, but vindicated that I was harmed and an attempt to make it right was made in good faith.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:42 AM   #87

Well, you sort of nixed them paying you back in some way by telegraphing your intent to sue them.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:47 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Well, you sort of nixed them paying you back in some way by telegraphing your intent to sue them.

I've not expressed that intent to anyone at Fidelity. And if they are out there reading this, I open the door and offer to sign a document that returning their fees to my account satisfies my grievance.