Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-28-2010, 02:24 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Seem to recall that OJ Simpson was able to avoid paying the judgement to the Goldmans because his retirement income came from annuities.

He was able to play a lot of golf with that retirement money.

Of course, whatever his retirement income source, it didn't protect him from stupidity.
I think his failings go well beyond stupidity.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Create your own Annuity concept
Old 03-28-2010, 05:44 AM   #82
Confused about dryer sheets

Create your own Annuity concept

How to create your own Annuity concept using 2 mutual funds.

This concept may interest you. See links for Morningstar forum.

For $1/Month Income you need $250 to $300 invested in following funds.
Using Vanguard Wellington VWELX & Vanguard Wellesley Income VWINX

Annuity Factor Examples - Morningstar

Thanks.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:56 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a lot lower payout than purchasing an immediate annuity even at today's puny interest rates. On $1M for two life annuity both 58 I think I can get over $5k/month. As interest rates will rise before I retire, I think I should be able to get $6k/month. True, using the funds leaves principal intact; but that doesn't matter as much with no heirs.

Marc
Old 03-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #84
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji View Post
How to create your own Annuity concept using 2 mutual funds.

This concept may interest you. See links for Morningstar forum.

For $1/Month Income you need $250 to $300 invested in following funds.
Using Vanguard Wellington VWELX & Vanguard Wellesley Income VWINX

Annuity Factor Examples - Morningstar

Thanks.
I interpreted the linked post as merely validating the 4% SWR rule of thumb.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:14 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

IMO - longevity risk is the main reason to buy a SPIA. In other words, you think you may outlive your resources. If you believe that and can afford to do so... delaying SS should be done before buying a non-cola or cola SPIA. If you do not believe your chances are very high that you will outlive your resources... I can see no reason to buy one.

I have considered using a SPIA. But for DW and I... I believe delaying one of our SS is the better approach. (assuming SS does not change significantly for people approaching retirement).
Old 03-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
IMO - longevity risk is the main reason to buy a SPIA. In other words, you think you may outlive your resources. If you believe that and can afford to do so... delaying SS should be done before buying a non-cola or cola SPIA. If you do not believe your chances are very high that you will outlive your resources... I can see no reason to buy one.

I have considered using a SPIA. But for DW and I... I believe delaying one of our SS is the better approach. (assuming SS does not change significantly for people approaching retirement).
I can think of at least two other reasons for SPIA. First is to have the ability to safely increase your SWR above 4%. Not only is the SPIA payout above 4% (well above if interest rates return to normal) but you can play riskier on your non SPIA funds. Second, is to use it as assured ability to pay for some level of long term care without the high expense of LTC insurance.

Marc
Old 03-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I can think of at least two other reasons for SPIA. First is to have the ability to safely increase your SWR above 4%. Not only is the SPIA payout above 4% (well above if interest rates return to normal) but you can play riskier on your non SPIA funds. Second, is to use it as assured ability to pay for some level of long term care without the high expense of LTC insurance.

Marc
I think SPIAs can good for certain situations.

[no offense] But the ones you cited are not two of them. Or at least... not reasons that would cause me to buy one.