Join Early Retirement Today

Re: immediate annuity (again)
Old 10-09-2006, 01:31 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
No argument from me on that score. I think the lack of even basic money management education in the US is deplorable. It doesn't even require much math ability. Heck, I have a graduate degree in finance and I am not good for much beyond the most basic of algebra. 99% of managing one's finances can be done with 6th grade math.
Yeah, well during my delusional college days, I decided being a math monir would be cool. Needless to say, 3rd semester calculus did me in.............third derivatives? Give me a break, that was the end of that........

Bottom line, the school systems don't want it in their curriculum, neither do the colleges. And most of the "investment seminar series" are about SELLING, not TELLING.........

Come to think of it, those 3rd derivatives never helped me balance my checkbook..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2006, 06:27 PM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
No argument from me on that score. I think the lack of even basic money management education in the US is deplorable. It doesn't even require much math ability. Heck, I have a graduate degree in finance and I am not good for much beyond the most basic of algebra. 99% of managing one's finances can be done with 6th grade math.
I took 22 credits in business and economics at the University of Washington in the 1970s. Now that would have earned me a minor in business. I kept waiting for them to get to "the point" since, as an engineer, I already understood the math.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:54 PM   #163
Give me a forum ...

I have a 60 yo brother who is in an apartment after settling his divorce and selling the house. All that cash is just sitting in his checking account (I hope), it is not invested (I am sure). I gave him an investment plan a year ago.

He receives a modest disability RR retirement.

After watching him do nothing for about a year I have come to the conclusion that for him buying a well located condo in a good solid building and buying a income annuity with 5% annual increase from Vanguard is one way to prevent him from eating dog food at 85. At least he has an income stream and could do a reverse mortgage on the condo if need be.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:19 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
I have a 60 yo brother who is in an apartment after settling his divorce and selling the house. All that cash is just sitting in his checking account (I hope), it is not invested (I am sure). I gave him an investment plan a year ago.

He receives a modest disability RR retirement.

After watching him do nothing for about a year I have come to the conclusion that for him buying a well located condo in a good solid building and buying a income annuity with 5% annual increase from Vanguard is one way to prevent him from eating dog food at 85. At least he has an income stream and could do a reverse mortgage on the condo if need be.
Or not take on debt, and use the extra cash to help build up a stream of income........ If he has trouble with his budget, why put him in debt for $150,000 or more

Old 10-10-2006, 11:06 AM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Eh, he has no debt, he has ample cash which is not being invested.

I have been using the Buy vs Rent Dinkytown calculator to determine the sweet spot based on his current rent and investment returns (0). He could purchase that condo for cash and pay the HOA, utilities and taxes out of current income.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Eh, he has no debt, he has ample cash which is not being invested.

I have been using the Buy vs Rent Dinkytown calculator to determine the sweet spot based on his current rent and investment returns (0). He could purchase that condo for cash and pay the HOA, utilities and taxes out of current income.
If he can pay cash, then that's different. You did say he wasn't good with money, so maybe tying it up in a somewhat illiquid investment is ok..............

I guess YOU know the situation better than me................

Old 10-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

His idea of an investment is savings bonds and he hyper-vents when I bring up the subject of mutual funds. Even his GF, who he thinks walks on water, can't get him to fill out a Vanguard application. ARRAH!!!

The core area has a forrest of construction cranes - high end condos going up like there is no tomorrow. Hopefully that will bring the price of condos in classic buildings down to 2004 levels by next spring and cash will be king. Maybe I am getting old, but the cost of those puppies makes my eyes cross. With steel and concrete at record highs, and the overlay of planning and building department requirements, I can understand the increases... BUT where are the customers comming from? God willing there will be 'condo investors' who bought in 04 who need to sell or risk forclosure this spring.