Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Impetus for FIRE?
Old 01-07-2007, 01:16 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

follow up to my last post, above...

So THAT's what the "Preview" button is for! :P

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2007, 08:05 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
follow up to my last post, above...

So THAT's what the "Preview" button is for! :P
You can go back and fix it. Just click on "modify" on your own post.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

About 10 years ago - at the age of 39 - I was concluding a week-long meeting in California with some colleagues and we were heading for the airport together to go our seperate ways. The question was asked as to what we were doing this weekend and after we revealed the normal yard work routines, etc. - the last guy - a gentleman of about 50 at the time, had tears in his eyes when it came time for him to speak. He said that he was attending his daughter's high school graduation and that....."I don't even know her"...... and yes, she was living at home with him.

I vowed then that, if I ever had kids - that would never, under any curcumstances, happen to me....or our child.

To make a long story short, I now have an 8 year old, we live in a community of our choice - interesting people with great schools, have 4 great seasons and....I retired 3 years ago. I did test the waters over the last year and came to the conclusion that yes, I had made the correct decision 3 years ago.

When people ask me what I am up to - Besides the "spending more time with my family, being there for my daughter, etc" that they hear - they always exclaim..."THAT'S what I want to do" - upon which I ask "Which life do you think you'll do it in then?"

Life's short - shorter if you do something unpleasant every day. You only get one chance to be a parent and have a positive impact....I decided not to blow it.

Now, off to coach my daughter's soccer practice......
Old 01-15-2007, 11:55 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

For me, mandatory "early" retirement at age 60 (airline pilot). After the pension convulsions our annual income is somewhat less, but not enough to be a problem. For 35 years the airline job was fun, last two years I couldn't wait to escape from the combination of moronic management, slimey unions, and humiliating security.

If the retirment age gets raised and I'm offered my job back next month (WON'T happen), I'd tell them to kiss my ass. Life is too much fun today.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:26 PM   #45

Software industry. First job I ever had after B-school they gave me a 20% raise the first year and laid me off the second -- along with 1/4 of the rest of the company.

Handwriting was on the wall -- this pays well but is NOT secure -- get what you can while the gettin's good, and then, get out.

Quote:
When people ask me what I am up to - Besides the "spending more time with my family, being there for my daughter, etc" that they hear - they always exclaim..."THAT'S what I want to do" - upon which I ask "Which life do you think you'll do it in then?"
LOVE this quote, ijuba. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:28 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Easy: Alarm clocks suck.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:06 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
Easy: Alarm clocks suck.
How did I survive that 5:15 AM BEEP BEEP BEEP... all those years?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:16 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Funny, as I was going to bed the other night and looked at my old alarm clock (long since replaced in function by a 2 year old) and wondering if anyone ever made an alarm that was pleasing and not particularly insistent. A nice little bell tone every half minute or so?

I still like the one that, once its sleep bar is pressed, flips itself off the nightstand and rolls away from you.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:22 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
Funny, as I was going to bed the other night and looked at my old alarm clock (long since replaced in function by a 2 year old) and wondering if anyone ever made an alarm that was pleasing and not particularly insistent. A nice little bell tone every half minute or so?

I still like the one that, once its sleep bar is pressed, flips itself off the nightstand and rolls away from you.
Something like this?
( I was going to buy such, but took the early retirement.)

http://www.atrendyhome.com/riandshnaalc.html

Come morning, the Rise & Shine light slowly brightens and the high-fi delity speaker increases volume over 5-60 minutes so you wake gently to your favorite AM/FM radio station or birds, harbor, village, brook, ocean, forest, rain, or breeze sounds.

At night, the process reverses to help you sleep.
----------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/y29jc9
Old 01-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

i've seen those...except all of them seem to think that a $10 alarm clock with a light bulb in it is worth $120-200.

Seems a $5 24 hour timer and a lamp would do the trick just fine. Maybe i'll try that the next time I dont feel like sleeping until gabe wakes up. Which is probably never.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:16 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Haha... I remember thinking the same about wanting to cobble together an alarm clock out of a timer and audio device... many years ago I cobbled together a alarm system that would use a 24 hour timer to start my macintosh computer up, and then the computer would play an audio file that started out soft and got louder.

The reality was that rotary timers are not precise enough for my needs, and digital timers were too difficult to program to make the system practical. I found myself reverting to a regular alarm clock whenever I needed to change the time.

These days I often use my Nokia cell phone as an alarm. It starts out with soft beeps and gets louder as time goes by.

Ironically, I actually find myself using an alarm more often now that I'm FIREd than when I was working. I had pretty flexible work hours so I didn't use alarms much when I was working; only on the days when I had a meeting in the morning I couldn't miss.

But now that I'm not working, I find I need a consistent alarm to keep myself on a normal schedule. I now have an alarm that goes off every day at the same time. I can feel it helping to reset my internal clock to keep me from drifting into later and later wakeups.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

2000... open heart surgery... 5 coronary artery bi-pass
2003... only sister dies of cancer... younger than me
2003... carotid artery surgery
2004... only brother dies of massive heart attack... younger than me
2004... retired after brother's death but was talked into working part time for the remainder of the year
2004... December... mother died... father already passed
2005... retired full time
Old 01-15-2007, 03:41 PM   #53
Administrator

Work is something that you don't want to do. If you wanted to do it, it would be called play.

Now if I could get paid for play, I'd do it. But then, I'd be willing to bet that within a month or two, that play would begin to seem like work to me, and I would wish I was free to do something else.

I have the best job in the world, but it is still work. Like Robert Frost, I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep. Life is as short as the blink of an eye.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #54

gawdalmighty, Gonzo, I'm so sorry all that has happened!!!
Old 01-15-2007, 06:16 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire
Now if I could get paid for play, I'd do it. But then, I'd be willing to bet that within a month or two, that play would begin to seem like work to me, and I would wish I was free to do something else.
Well, I guess if I could get a job being molested by beautiful women who would then want to go home immediately...but not before making me a large sandwich...I'd be alright with it.

My wife might take some issue though. So...two sandwiches...
Old 01-15-2007, 06:44 PM   #56
Administrator

Not that kind of play, silly!!!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-15-2007, 06:49 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I'd be willing to call it work.

And I'd still like my job after a couple of months.

I'd probably feel a little bit cheap but once I got the paycheck I'd get over it.

Say, does this come with any benefits?
Old 01-15-2007, 06:54 PM   #58
Administrator

Sounds like you've got a second career lined up!

Personally I was only thinking of substitute teaching math/science once in a while when I felt like it, just to keep a hand in... 8)

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-15-2007, 06:56 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Okayyy...for a few bucks extra i'll dress up like a teacher...sigh...this is starting to feel like work...or waitaminit, were you thinking I should dress like a schoolboy?
Old 01-15-2007, 07:27 PM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now
... many years ago I cobbled together a alarm system that would use a 24 hour timer to start my macintosh computer up, and then the computer would play an audio file that started out soft and got louder.
At one time I used a scheduling program on my old 'puter, that would play one of my ZZ Top mp3's....I had the volume on the speakers (surround sound) cranked way up so it would blast my a** outta bed. The neighbor asked me one day why I had my music playing SOOOO loudly that early in the morning....I turned it down just a notch after that!