Join Early Retirement Today

Impetus for FIRE?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Impetus for FIRE?

Just curious what has lead others to FIRE.
It was a indeed a braying jack#!* of a boss that started me down the path.
-What if I am terminated? What if I can't find another job soon? What if I lose
the house? I better pay my house off! Maybe I wouldn't need to work so much
then? I should find a book about this to learn? Man that's a lot of books? This
one looks good (LMWL by Bob Clyatt)! I'll check out this website ........
3 years 9months to go!!
SlowTwitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Impetus for FIRE?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Rapidly declining health.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mental health concerns brought on by ignorant idiots. Idiots who felt compelled to micro manage all of the old timers post merger with tiny techno controlling large developed corporation. Thousands displaced so they could hire their own clones.

Oh, most important was LBYM for years and the knowledge that I had the finances pretty well nailed!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm FIREing because I'm tired of working for the "man".....but most importantly, the driving force behind my impending FIRE, is the simple fact that I CAN FIRE!!!

I was able to enjoy the free & easy lifestyle for 5 1/2 years before I was forced to go to school for most of my youth. After all those years of keeping teachers employed, I was coerced into going to w*rk for the last 32 years. Now I'm finally getting my chance to revert back a free & easy lifestyle!!! Now I get to go back to those never ending days of play!!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif Calvin-n-Hobbes_last-strip1.gif (59.8 KB, 59 views)
Attached Files
File Type: gif_thumb Calvin-n-Hobbes_last-strip1.gif_thumb (23.4 KB, 1 views)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:48 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I have an ... odd ... personality. I get bored very easily once I learn a job's tasks, which I usually do in about a week. A month, tops.

Rather than spend most of my life bored to death, I'd rather have the freedom to pursue anything and everything that catches my interest, whenever that happens.

peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:31 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

In July of 1987 I went on a week long fishing trip to Canada. When I got back I thought to myself "Man, it would be great to do that whenever I want".

By coincidence there was a complimentary issue of Money Magazine in my mail when I got back. There was a basic article on planning an early retirement and I got out a notebook and made a plan right there to retire at age 50. With some minor updates, the plan is still in place and I'm still on track.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:53 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

We like to travel in the way that allows us to stay for an extended period of time in a different place, to learn about it, the people, the places, the ebb and flow of the place. To travel in this way, we need extended periods of time (month or two) and that's what FIRE gives us.
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggy
I have an ... odd ... personality. I get bored very easily once I learn a job's tasks, which I usually do in about a week. A month, tops.

Rather than spend most of my life bored to death, I'd rather have the freedom to pursue anything and everything that catches my interest, whenever that happens.

Me too but it takes me a little longer to get bored. Once I figure something out it is no longer interesting. Not sure that it is odd though.

I can watch the bird feeder at home an hour every day though.

Bruce
Old 01-06-2007, 06:26 AM   #9
gone traveling

Hummm

Teaching in an Inner city high school for almost 30 years.

Getting 300K in profit from selling the house in NJ before the market cooled, in 1 day.

The state saying hey leave and we will give you a pension with a cola and medical bennies for life in the area of 36K per year.

The 120 mile round trip commute.

Being 50. Only 50.

Moving to a warmer part of the country, NC from NJ.

Taxes on the new house 2900 a year instead of 9000.

Mortgage 300 a month on the new house instead of 1400 a month.

Nuff said.

dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:54 AM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce1
Me too but it takes me a little longer to get bored. Once I figure something out it is no longer interesting. Not sure that it is odd though.

I can watch the bird feeder at home an hour every day though.

Bruce
Sometimes I stand at the front door and watch the bird feeders and go into a sort of trance.

Most relaxing.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:00 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Working WAAAY too hard.

Receving an inheritance that makes the FI math work.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:20 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I started with the Federal government with the expectation that I would retire at 56 and did. I had a rewarding and successful career but I always felt that I would prefer to have an unstructured life. Two years in and that anticipation has proved correct. I once had an executive coach evaluate my style. He gave me a fitting mental image of myself - imagine that I have a light-house style beam on top of my head very slowly swiveling 360 degrees pointing at on one thing after another; I intensely focus on what it is pointing at and then move on to the next thing. Also known as ADHD - but I compensate pretty well
Old 01-06-2007, 07:43 AM   #13

For me, retirement can only be considered if you have the two "basics"; that being that you can (being FI), and the second being "mentally ready".

Luckily, me/DW crossed the first threshold a few years ago, but certainly were not ready for RE. It took a few "things" (health concerns, as noted earlier) and the sudden realization that we will not liver forever. That was made clear when we looked at the "statistic" that 3 of 4 of our parents were "in the ground" (e.g. "batter up" ).

Anyway, as I do with all major decisions, I made up a pro/con list of why I/we should, or should not retire.

Think of it as a child's playground teeter-totter. The idea is to live life "in balance". On one side, you have the "pros" of being FI, the "desire" to "move on" (from the work world), the ability to "take your time back".

On the other side, you have the "bad stuff"; knowing every day (or minute) is one less that you have on this earth, the "erosion" of your health (no matter how hard you exercise!) and the realization that my j*b is not who/what I am (as it was in my "younger years").

That being the case, I'm going May 1st. My wife was to go at the end of May, but over the holidays she realized that she is just not "mentally ready". That being the case, I'll join the ranks of those that are retired but have a wor*ing wife!

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:52 AM   #14

Really did not expect to FIRE at 50. JUST KNEW I would be in harness until the age of 70. As a registerd nurse I made decent money but was not good at managing it. Did lots of dumb things, bought crap I did not need, was in debt and was going to slogg along until I was too old to work.

Met DH about 10 years ago and his program was as raggedy as mine. Misery loves company I guess so we fell in love and got married. A very happy marriage except for the debt. I knew there had to be a better way.

Saw a show on PBS on bankruptcy. A Dr.Warren ( The Two Income Trap) was interviewed and what she said about debt, credit cards and the like spoke to our situation. I started to read, started to learn and then I got mad. We could do better. We started to LBYM, developed a budget, worked over time, got out of debt and started to build up savings.

Now I planned to retire at the regular retirement age. Whoopeee. :

Then we inherited a lot of money, we knew it was coming down the road but not this soon. It was enough to maintain our current lifestyle with out having to work. 32 years as a care giver is quite enough so I bailed out, DH had been forced to RE due to his health about two years before.

That said if we had not cleaned up our acts the income from the inheritance would not have been enough to live on and service our debt so I would have had to continue to work. Further had we not learn to manage our finances better we would have pi**ed the money away when it came.

I learned and continue to learn a lot from this board and tell everyone who will listen about you guys.

It is about having a good life. Having the good sence to know it and the good sence to live it. That about sums it up for me.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:08 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

In the first year of our marriage, I picked up the Paul Terhorst book, Cashing in on the American Dream, How to Retire at 35 and I was hooked. Fortunately the FIRE bug got me before we started making any real money, and when we were ready to buy a house at the end of our rental lease, we bought a duplex and let the other side pay our mortgage.

Fast forward 18 years and we find ourselves very close to FIRE, but we've strayed off the path somewhat (big house, mercedes, bmw, corvette, you get the picture). I started reading current authors who were advocating FIRE, found this website and find myself refocusing on the goal rather than the stuff.

I don't have anything in particular that I want to do in ER, I just know I don't want to have to show up at my desk at the assigned time every day and deal with other peoples' priorities.
Tracy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

I was going to retire at 55 but I wasn't mentally ready.Then last November some of the younger nurses were complaining at how long they had worked (5,7,8 years) and I piped in that I had worked 29 years,except when I thought about it I had really worked 39 years .Resigned that day and have never looked back.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:29 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't really think about it at all and didn't plan for it. I pretty much was consumed by my work. The nice thing about law is boredom is rarely an issue and if you tire of a type of work, move on to something else.

Then I was elected president of our firm. I think I did a good job but it burned me out bad. I started to pay attention to what we had for money and found this website and various retirement calculators. The good thing was that DH was much more of a planner so I didn't spend all our money.

Sell the cabin and pay off the mortgage! Who needs five motorcyles, two ATVs and two homes! Let me out of this job! I resigned as president, went part time for two years and now am done.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

I picked up the book "Your Money or Your Life" at the local library 13 years ago. Ever since I have been working towards ER.
Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I mentioned this before in a similar thread, but my 'see the light' moment came in my early thirties.

The mega-corp I worked for held a job fair, and I was assigned to screen applicants for the positions we had in our department. There was a long line of guys in their fifties that had been recently laid off from a very old-school mega-corp. Their job skills were totally out of date for what we needed. I will never forget the looks on their faces as I told them we would not be contacting them. They obviously were totally unprepared to start over in their 50's. I could almost see their mortgage bills and their kid's college costs written in the furrows of their brows. They thought they had a job for life.

So, everyone should be prepared for early retirement, whether it is a personal goal or not. You might not have a choice. Once you are FI, RE can be your decision, do it when you choose.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:17 AM   #20
Administrator

First let me say that I have read both books mentioned earlier in this thread and they are very good reads. For me, "Live More, Work Less" by Bob Clyatt was better and even DW read it from cover to cover.

My reasons to FIRE are no different from many:

Wish to enjoy life and do lots of travel while still healthy. (My family is scattered across England, Scotland and Australia and we all are in regular contact and get together when we can)

Have prgressed at work to a point where I don't enjoy it - too much to do with too few resources and globalization has meant I have lots of travel overseas, which may sound glamorous but very soon gets pretty old - in 2006 I traveled to 7 different countries in Europe several times.

I can FIRE at anytime now, but I do very much like my boss and the vast majority of the folks I work with so I plan to work for 3 more years and get the DB pension and heallth insurance through age 70. (I am 52 now).

A study done a few years ago on why people leave companies had the number 1 reason as being their boss or management team. I can personally vouch for that. In 1987 my manager, who was awful, blocked an assignment to the USA from England I wanted to take, so I wrote a letter of resignation to HR and to his boss. I got the transfer and it was a great move for me, and I have had several excellent managers since then.