Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Unlike commonly held opinion. Canada is a very cheap country to be retired to. If you get dividends from Canadian companies, you can earn over $35k and not pay any tax. But the cost of living is higher than most states. There are calculators that compare cities.

One thing to be aware of is that coverage under BC Medical is now subject to a health assessment. There have been articles about Filipinos/Indians bringing mom over and she does not qualify. So best to get it done while still in good health.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Kcowan. I would assume that an assessment does not apply to a citizen though correct? How about a spouse. You mention a mom which is not a spouse and it has been my experience here that spousal relations are treated differently than family ones but I haven't paid attention for a few years now so I cannot say my data is current

I expect the cost of living to be a bit more but I live in a high COL area now so I suspect it won't be that much.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Here are the eligibility rules for health care coverage in BC.

MSP - Eligibility and Enrolment

I don't see any mention of health status and given the provisions of the Canada Health Act I would be surprised to do so.

Canada Health Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically you, as a Canadian citizen, would be eligible for coverage three months after your return to Canada. Your DW, who is not a Canadian citizen, would need proof of legitimate residence before applying for health care. Speaking from personal experience, this does not require her to be a landed immigrant, but she needs to be in the country legitimately. I was covered for several years after I first arrived in Canada based on a work permit. You will be able to sponsor DW for permanent residency. As you can see from the below link, the sponsorship application will proceed faster if she is outside the country.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...es/perm-fc.asp

The health assessment that Keith refers to is an immigration physical with associated tests. I had to have one during the application process for landed immigrant status. Any abnormalities found on the assessment will have to be followed up before the physician can submit the final report. Immigration Canada can deny landed immigrant status on the basis of an adverse health assessment, or may require that a treatable condition be addressed before signing off on it.

Note that once you and DW have your BC health cards, you can keep your coverage while out of Canada for up to 7 months in a calendar year. However, long absences would likely jeopardize an application for landed immigrant status or citizenship, and should be deferred until it has been obtained. This may be moot if you complete the sponsorship process for DW before she moves to Canada.

I hope that's helpful!
Old 07-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Sure it. This is still well in the early stages and may not even happen. It will be part of the consideration of whether to move to Washington State or BC. My wife's preference is to stay here but her parents will come first. Weatherwise I'd stay here too but maybe global warming will make BC like NorCal
Old 07-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post
Weatherwise I'd stay here too but maybe global warming will make BC like NorCal
Well now that you mention it, yesterday is was over 40 degrees C (104 degrees F) in several places in BC and there are wildfires starting all over the place. I think you would feel quite at home!

Heat wave breaks temperature records in 4 B.C. communities | CTV Vancouver News
Old 07-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I imagine that is inland

Vancouver's weather says hot and humid with a high of 25C :P....We had high humidity (unusual) and 30C yesterday...and it was cooler

To be like here it would have to not rain for months though....I only missed 1 weekend of bike riding due to rain since October of 2013 (when I got my new bike and started charting my rides)
Old 07-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We live right on the ocean in West Vancouver and the problem is the lack of breeze. 26 C can feel like 40 C if there is no breeze. We have fans running all night.

But the record-setting weather just emphasizes that it is unusual. Today we are headed to Galiano Island where the temperature at the moment is 16 C outside.

Most people who enjoy Vancouver year round don't let a little rain stop them. It is seldom the downpours like the mid-west gets, but cloudy with showers.