Join Early Retirement Today

Impossible to Concentrate
Old 09-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Impossible to Concentrate

We have finally reached our FIRE goal and are pulling the plug after the end-of-year bonuses which are distributed on Dec 31. I am finding it impossible to concentrate at work and most task are taking me twice as long to do as they should. Did anyone else have this problem shortly before ER? It is getting to the point I am feeling guilty about my productivity.

We are not actually quiting completely, but I am setting up a consulting firm to keep me busy part time until my child graduates from high school. Part of the problems is that I am excited to get my own operation set up. Happy days!

Edit (spelling)
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, ...uh, no. Wait a minute, let me go back and re-read what you wrote. What was that again? I think yes. Hmmm, let me get back to you on that.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Short-timers disease. Suddenly, none of the BS matters any more once you've decided to get off the treadmill.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Sounds familiar - I did not do much in the last few months, once I was sure I was gone. Definitely changed my attitude with my bosses .

The main thing is not to hurt anyone left behind, through over sight or malice.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Short-timers disease. Suddenly, none of the BS matters any more once you've decided to get off the treadmill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Sounds familiar - I did not do much in the last few months, once I was sure I was gone.
Once they hired my replacement, I spent some time training him, then I backed away and let him go at it. I was still available if NEEDED, but I kept my distance so access to me was not too easy! He had to learn to think things through instead of just asking for an easy answer.

In the mean time, I started picking and choosing my work assignments. If the weather was nice I chose outside tasks, if the weather was nasty I chose inside tasks. Since I was "suffering" from 'short-timers' disease, the boss kept his distance from me too!!! THAT was VERY nice!!!

My last 4 months were fairly unproductive, but nobody cared....especially me!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

When I came to my end days the I attained a clearity of purpose at work.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture View Post
I am finding it impossible to concentrate at work and most task are taking me twice as long to do as they should. Did anyone else have this problem shortly before ER? It is getting to the point I am feeling guilty about my productivity.
Whatta they gonna do, FIRE you?

I bet you could concentrate just fine if you chose the right task:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-er-20952.html

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:11 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Don't feel guilty about your reduced productivity. Be grateful that you can get anything done at all!! LOL!

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:28 AM   #9

Quote:
. I am finding it impossible to concentrate at work and most task are taking me twice as long to do as they should. Did anyone else have this problem shortly before ER?
In the military that affliction was known as being on the ROAD (Retired On Active Duty).
Old 09-18-2007, 12:39 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Congrats. I wouldn't worry about it. You can bet your boss is not expecting much out of you except a good turnover of responsibilities and tie up loose ends.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Once they hired my replacement, I spent some time training him, then I backed away and let him go at it. I was still available if NEEDED, but I kept my distance so access to me was not too easy! He had to learn to think things through instead of just asking for an easy answer.
Most replacements don't want much coaching; they are happy if the person being replaced simply steps aside and lets them get on with things in their own way. Remember Jack Nicholson's Assistant Vice-President Warren R. Schmidt's experience at Woodmen of the World [About Schmidt]?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Most replacements don't want much coaching; they are happy if the person being replaced simply steps aside and lets them get on with things in their own way. Remember Jack Nicholson's Assistant Vice-President Warren R. Schmidt's experience at Woodmen of the World [About Schmidt]?
My replacement was just the opposite....he wanted me there for a few more months! Nope....Huh-uh....ain't happening! He bid on the lab tech job and got it....and he had NO experience! I gave him a crash course, showed him where all of the reference manuals and lab equipment was....and how to use them all. I walked him through all of the tests and procedures we were required to perform, and how and where to submit the test results.

He was pretty unhappy that I didn't spend my last 4 months in the lab with him, even though, like I said, I was still available if needed.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Most replacements don't want much coaching; they are happy if the person being replaced simply steps aside and lets them get on with things in their own way. ...
This certainly was the case with my replacement, who was hired four months before my official date of retirement. As he was an outside hire, my board of directors wanted to ensure a smooth transition by having me "show him the ropes." From the first day, he let me know that he was merely tolerating my presence but had little desire to even talk to me. I spent the four months sitting in an office down the hall from his -- putting the final touches on my retirement plan. (That actually was a wonderful transition for ME!)

Fast forward eight months later. Suddenly I'm getting "chatty" emails and notes from him hinting that he'd like me to come back and help with some problems -- the very same issues that I was prepared to assist him with before I left! Thanks, but no thanks. That's all just a memory now -- I've moved on.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #14

Quote:
We have finally reached our FIRE goal and are pulling the plug after the end-of-year bonuses which are distributed on Dec 31. I am finding it impossible to concentrate at work and most task are taking me twice as long to do as they should. Did anyone else have this problem shortly before ER? It is getting to the point I am feeling guilty about my productivity.

Edit (spelling)
Part of the reason I decided to RE was because since becoming FI, I JUST DIDN'T GIVE A DAMN ANYMORE. While I fiddled (deciding whether or not to go), Rome (my department) burned. Easy solution: if you want to be remembered as competent, GO NOW!
Old 09-18-2007, 05:51 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I am finding it impossible to concentrate at work and most task are taking me twice as long to do as they should. Did anyone else have this problem shortly before ER? It is getting to the point I am feeling guilty about my productivity.
When I realized I had enuf $$ to live on forever, I got that way big time. Then after about 3 months of the lazy employee routine, I realized my expenses will probably soon go up so I dropped from 30X expenses down to about 22X. I soon returned to my gun-ho attitude. Cure me! Cure me! Get me back where Culture is!
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #16

For those who retired early & by choice - how much notice did you give your employers? I struggling with that. DW & I have settled on 1 month which is twice the normal 2 week notice in my field.

Your input is much appreciated.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:25 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Not sure my situation is typical or that I would recommend it to most, but I gave 5 months notice to my immediate boss with the agreement there would be no announcement of my plans until 30 days before I retired. If I'd not had an excellent relationship with her (CFO) and with the company CEO who hired me 27 years earlier, I would have probably given only 4-6 weeks.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #18

I can't remember. I gave between 2 and 4 weeks, I think. But then my boss made me an offer I couldn't refuse to stay on for another year. In retrospect, I should have refused.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

My situation was very similar to REWAHOO. I gave around 5 months notice, but I was sworn to secrecy by my boss as he felt the need to manage some transitions behind the scenes. I was one of the first employees hired soon after company startup - a real long termer. Thus the super advance notice. Finally, about 6 weeks before I was due to leave, boss consented to let me tell my employees as rumors were starting to fly!

I'm sure they thought they could talk me out of it for a couple of months - one of the reasons for begging me to keep quiet!

But the "hush, hush" sure got annoying after a while!

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
But the "hush, hush" sure got annoying after a while!
Yep. Not to mention all the strange looks at the silly grin on my face...