Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Some days are diamonds, some days are stones, Some times the hard times won't leave you alone" - John Denver

I am both positive and negative.

Positive: I start every day with a "can-do" attitude that some people find annoying. It is my natural state.
Negative: Things I have no control over can dilute my optimism. I get over it quickly.

I am blessed with a logical mind that can analyze and separate + and - events and people's attitudes into neat little compartments. It is one of my best strengths of personality.
When faced with negativity, I refuse to let the naysayers drag me down into their miserable vortexes. I can usually filter it out, and in extreme cases, just excuse myself and walk away.
I have been told that I have been a positive influence on some partially negative people I know. It gives me great pleasure to hear feedback like this.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
1) I tend to be a negative person.

2) based on that, I am very conservative with my investments.
That's funny because I'm a very positive person and I'm also very conservative with my investments. Hmmmm.

I used to think that I was a positive person because I was lucky enough to never have anything bad happen to me. Then I realized that bad things have happened and I stayed positive anyways. I think it's in my genetic code from my father who is also like this.

I also learned from him to hope for the best and plan for the worst. I may be too much of a planner but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

After about age 35 (and losing a few friends much too young) I see every morning as an opportunity for another day of life. If nothing hurts, it's all gravy.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I'd probably say I lean toward the negative side, but am pretty even-keeled. I certainly see the flaws in a plan before I see the benefits, which is why I was a pretty good credit analyst before I gave it up. But at the same time, I have enough optimism about the future to stop working at 38, which is something that would terrify even the most optimistic people I know.

What gets me over the hump is that I feel I have a pretty good handle on the risks I'm taking, and what my options are for dealing with those risks. I've hedged the ones I can and have contingency plans for others. The ones I can't do anything about, I can't do anything about, so they don't worry me. After some reflection, maybe it's not optimism that got me out the door, but a feeling that I've prepared as well as I can and the benefits of living a life untethered outweigh the remaining risks.

One year in, so far so good.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
...I am primarily a negative person. I am a pessimist. This leads me to plan ahead, anticipate the kinds of things that can go wrong, and have alternatives in mind.
This describes me pretty well. I am the "what if" person who drives the optimists crazy...
Old 03-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

I recognize that I'm inherently negative, though I often wish I weren't.

I can't help it. Whenever I hear about a "deal," my first instinct is, "too good to be true, it's a scam." Whenever I hear about someone falling on hard times, I automatically judge them. "Wonder why they couldn't be bothered to buy insurance." I view every telemarketer, MLM enthusiast, and door-to-door salesman as a scammer, just trying to weasel their way into my wallet.

It's helped me avoid getting ripped off, but I often wish I had the courage to risk putting myself out their more often, and having a little more faith in my fellow man. As it is, I just see most people as lazy, greedy liars, trying to take advantage of me.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Call me bipolar, but mine fluctuates!

I generally have faith in my fellow citizens, perhaps even too much! However, I tend to be gloomy about my own fortune, even if my networth puts me in the top few percents. Yes, I am grateful, but I also worry that something bad will take my money off my grubby hand. Like a market crash...
Old 03-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I am positive I am not negative by nature. Now if I could only get rid of all these negative $#%#%^ people around me, I would remain very positive........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #48
gone traveling

90.0% positive.
9.5% cautiously optimistic.
.49% pessimistic.

Numbers may not equal 100% due to rounding.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #49

1) I think I have enough mood swings or multiple personalities from day to day that the negative and positive probably cancel each other out and make me "net neutral", or some term like that!

2) Overall though, I'm fairly optimistic about retirement, and doing it more or less on-track. There have been, and will be, setbacks to my plan, where things don't go the way I wanted. However, sometime the unexpected happens, and in a good way, like a stock going up much more than I anticipated, or a bill coming in at less $ than I anticipated. So overall, it seems to work out in the end.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting topic. I'd like to say I'm positive but the reality is that I tend to be a negative person. I am very analytical so my brain is always on which means I tend to over-analyze things. However I believe that this has had a positive affect on my financial life as I am very careful in that department but I believe it has had a detrimental impact on most everything else.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #51

Time and time again, I am on the a string of true blessings in my life.

I feel that my happiness and joyful nature, make everything happen for me.

Given lemons in life make lemonaid.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #52
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Given lemons in life make lemonaid.
I agree, but in the last thread where I expressed this opinion, it created a sh*tstorm...

Poll:How much did luck help you FIRE?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #53

Positive.

Went through my own variations of personal hell (different situations, different times, some with overlap). Lessons learned, came to terms with stuff, moved forward...

Despite my days not being perfectly wonderful (how the heck would you truly appreciate a good day without some bad ones to learn from??), most are good, and a good many are down right wonderful!

My life does not suck at all!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
I recognize that I'm inherently negative, though I often wish I weren't.

I can't help it. Whenever I hear about a "deal," my first instinct is, "too good to be true, it's a scam." Whenever I hear about someone falling on hard times, I automatically judge them. "Wonder why they couldn't be bothered to buy insurance." I view every telemarketer, MLM enthusiast, and door-to-door salesman as a scammer, just trying to weasel their way into my wallet.

It's helped me avoid getting ripped off, but I often wish I had the courage to risk putting myself out their more often, and having a little more faith in my fellow man. As it is, I just see most people as lazy, greedy liars, trying to take advantage of me.
In my neck of the woods, this is called "street smarts".
I think this way also because life has taught me to suspect the overly grinning salesman with the flashy teeth and fast talking spiel.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #55

Mostly a realist. Realist=an optimist with experience.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
I agree, but in the last thread where I expressed this opinion, it created a sh*tstorm...

Poll:How much did luck help you FIRE?
My reply to the same OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
No luck, but wonderful Karma. Ms G. and I attracted to our life all the abundance that we now have and will ever need.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

75% Positive.......

15% Negative.....

5% Holy shizz on a cracker....

5% Holy shizz on a freakin' cracker....
Old 03-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #58

I am an optimist, but I still think I still complain too often and probably more than what is warranted.

Japan is in the news a lot lately. I cannot even come close to imagining the misery that its people faced who live in the the stricken earthquake/tsunami area.

While these people are waiting in long lines for water, food, and clothing, (many whom have lost family members and friends) they are calm and do not moan and groan. I consider this a virtue.

This natural disaster has taught me a lesson. I wish I could be more like the Japanese and accept severe hardship without constantly complaining. I believe this is a culture to be both respected and admired by all.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #59

I don't see myself as positive naturally, so I w@/k at it. I look for the best in people and generally see people at their best. In that respect, I am lucky.
I truthfully never thought that I would be staring at as good a future as I am. There is a part of me that doesn't trust it to not be pulled away.

I over w@/k the analysis and get called on it here. This is a good place! Thanks.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #60
Dryer sheet wannabe

Me thinks one must work at being happy somewhat. If I don't take charge of my day (FIRED) I tend to fall into some semblance of despair, ugh! I need to accomplish something every day to feel happy, etc. Probably, result of being a task oriented engineer for too long.