Join Early Retirement Today

In the tell us something we don't know category...
Old 07-25-2017, 07:08 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In the tell us something we don't know category...

... though I don't know about you, but I traded a whole lot MORE dollars for my ER free time than the study suggests!

"It doesn’t matter whether you’re rich or poor, the new study suggests. If you feel pressed for time, your life satisfaction can be improved by trading money for minutes that you can use as you wish.

Survey-takers were asked whether they paid other people to do “unenjoyable daily tasks” in order to “increase their free time.”

In 28% of cases, the answer was yes. These folks spent an average of $147.95 per month to buy themselves extra time."

Science proves it: Money really can buy happiness - LA Times
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2017, 07:48 AM   #2

Yup. Traded all the paychecks for all the time.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We trade savings for cleaning and dusting. Not for time but because we both hate I them!
Old 07-25-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Money CAN buy happiness...

If you use it to get more free time, according to this study reported by the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rainbow&wpmm=1

As I see it, ER is the ultimate happiness purchase!
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Having bought into (relatively) Early retirement, I was a perfectly happy customer. Some non monetary events messed up the happy times for me, in time happy times will return.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #6

I knew a guy who took every promotion test that came along, if you took a promotion test you got the day off, you had to pay in those days maybe 20 dollars for the test, he used to call it a $20 dollar day off. Then they started with "attendance cards" if you came for the test. He showed up, at the last minute, sat for a second and turned in the test.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
Administrator

We merged two threads on the same topic, put it in the "FIRE and money" forum.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote