Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #61
Dryer sheet wannabe

$67K, 56 yrs old, not retired

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
So set up an anonymizing poll.

And I wasn't joking about $539K as I clearly stated in that post.
Well, 539K/mo is quite a bit more than I spend. Good show old boy!

Old 11-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm just a little less at 538K/mo (Indonesian Rp)
Old 11-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

I think that number is about 150% of what we spend assuming we use FC's default assumptions.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #65

I bought a powerball ticket so I want to change my answer to $6,000,000 a year (pending outcome of course)
Old 11-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

$32k age 39 not retired.
Found it interesting that if I changed my expense ratio from 0.2% (default) to 0.1% (actual) I could add $1k in withdrawal every year with the same outcome (0 cycles failed). I have yet to figure out a way to eliminate the final outcome (death).
Old 11-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

2011 (Age 55) : 3% withdrawal on assets alone (40% stocks) payed for our tracked expenses adjusted for retirement. (extras, vacations, one time things, etc).

2014 (Age 59) : 3% withdrawal rate on assets alone pays for 150% of our budget. Firecalc says we can pay for 200% of our budget when social security and pension are thrown in at 100% success rate.

I'll be making that last trip home from the office in mid-January, not a moment too soon !
Old 11-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Not retired but would be about $150K here at age 50ish.

100% firecalc success with multiple scenarios, so basically planning for an indefinite run based on dividends and other similar tax advantaged income produced, with no capital touched.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Income, Age, Retirement Status

$83,100, Age 45, Not Retired

Family of 4. SAHM, 2 school age kids with 529's funded to our desired amount and primary residence not factored into Firecalc input.

Last few years, typical expenses ranged from $50 - 60k, starting to feel less self induced work stress, but still working and wondering if part time work is in the future.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #70

52, Not retired, ER date is 4 months away !

FIRECALC gives me 100% success at 117k annual spend for 35 years. CFireSIM gives me 100% success at 97k for 40 years.

My budget is 100k (assumes 25k for Healthcare for 2). Discretionary expense rate is only 12% of budget.

Since we are currently covered by employer healthcare we've used the 25k on long term home care items (new roof, new floors, painting, windows, etc) so my actual spend over the past 3 years has been spot on to the 100k annual spend.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't know what my 100% # is but since I am retired now all of our income sources generate more than enough monthly income to pay all of our expenses and allow us to stash away monthly excesses on a pretty regular basis.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:22 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It is a insidious disease called OMY syndrome. You continue to find reasons to continue working until you die or get so sick that you can't work any longer.
Great point! OMY is eating me up, along with many others I suspect. The calculators give me some comfort, but then the market shifts, or I revert back to the OMY argument. Crazy! -- Nomad
Old 11-12-2014, 06:52 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Around 110K, age 53, aiming to retire in 2015. SS not included.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Again not referring to income as defined by accountants or for tax purposes. I'm talking about (nest egg + total of all future streams of cash)/life expectancy.

Someone on the CE survey may have a high income but zero net worth.
What does this estimate produce for an annual percentage draw or is the question irrelevant?

This is a great thread - been very helpful!
Old 11-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
52, Not retired, ER date is 4 months away !

FIRECALC gives me 100% success at 117k annual spend for 35 years. CFireSIM gives me 100% success at 97k for 40 years.

My budget is 100k (assumes 25k for Healthcare for 2). Discretionary expense rate is only 12% of budget.

Since we are currently covered by employer healthcare we've used the 25k on long term home care items (new roof, new floors, painting, windows, etc) so my actual spend over the past 3 years has been spot on to the 100k annual spend.
Me, too.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Me, too.
It's interesting that a reduction from 120k to 115k/year results in a 100% success over 30 years for both although an extremely higher average in the latter case.
I jigger around with FireCalc since I'll start semi-retirement next year and the DW will continue to work for 3-6 years. I'm sure there is a way to model this, but it is not obvious, since it doesn't seem to process multiple retirement years and incomes.
Longer years give better success at times, which is a bit disturbing about naive responses to FireCalc results, although it is reassuring.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
It's interesting that a reduction from 120k to 115k/year results in a 100% success over 30 years for both although an extremely higher average in the latter case.
I jigger around with FireCalc since I'll start semi-retirement next year and the DW will continue to work for 3-6 years. I'm sure there is a way to model this, but it is not obvious, since it doesn't seem to process multiple retirement years and incomes.
Longer years give better success at times, which is a bit disturbing about naive responses to FireCalc results, although it is reassuring.
I think for the purposes of FireCalc, that if 1 spouse is working, then the family is not retired. Just like in the 50's when the man worked.
Naturally that does not satisfy many people, so pretend the working spouse does not work (no income) and do the calculations from that.

Yes, longer years do give better results, as the market can really drop in 1 year, but over many it smooths out the effects, especially lately