Join Early Retirement Today

Income (sorta) poor, but asset (kinda) well off
Old 04-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Income (sorta) poor, but asset (kinda) well off

I suspect we're not the only ones here with this profile: modest public sector pensions, not yet collecting SS (ages 65 & 56), no debt, portfolios large enough to allow both of us to be retired with a potential spending level more than we're used to (still being coupon clippers, but don't flinch at the occasional splurge).

So what does this mean to potential lenders? We have no need to incur debt, but if we wanted to say, buy an investment property, could we qualify on our assets (and credit history), or would our paltry "income" cause lenders to turn up their noses?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You've got public sector pensions, so that is a great thing. If you need more income, make sure to have an income 'stream' from your retirement savings rather than taking it in a lump sum. That is what we've learned along the way.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

All you have to do is set up a monthly deposit into a checking account from your asset account(s) and that is considered as income. You'll have to show that you have enough to last for 3 years worth of deposits.

I recently spoke to a bank regarding this exact issue as I will be needing a mortgage after I retire from my job and have no job income.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
All you have to do is set up a monthly deposit into a checking account from your asset account(s) and that is considered as income. You'll have to show that you have enough to last for 3 years worth of deposits.

I recently spoke to a bank regarding this exact issue as I will be needing a mortgage after I retire from my job and have no job income.
The situation may differ from lender to lender, but in addition to the 3 years it needs to last, I have found they also like to see that monthly deposit having been established for a year.

I had one at 10 months (having had it earlier from another account) and they got their knickers in a knot over that. I had to write a letter of explanation about why the income stream moved from coming from one asset account and then from another one.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
You've got public sector pensions, so that is a great thing. If you need more income, make sure to have an income 'stream' from your retirement savings rather than taking it in a lump sum. That is what we've learned along the way.
+1
Old 04-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
You've got public sector pensions, so that is a great thing.
Actually, that would depend on the "public sector." Perhaps you're a retired teacher in Illinois. The legislature is working overtime trying to reduce the pension you've been receiving to compensate for not funding the pension fund for decades. Not a real credit worthy situation if that pension is the applicants primary source of income.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Actually, that would depend on the "public sector." Perhaps you're a retired teacher in Illinois. The legislature is working overtime trying to reduce the pension you've been receiving to compensate for not funding the pension fund for decades. Not a real credit worthy situation if that pension is the applicants primary source of income.
Always a potential problem, especially when pension funds look like tasty low-hanging fruit to lawmakers.
The situation in our state is better than many others - for now.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
I suspect we're not the only ones here with this profile: modest public sector pensions, not yet collecting SS (ages 65 & 56), no debt, portfolios large enough to allow both of us to be retired with a potential spending level more than we're used to (still being coupon clippers, but don't flinch at the occasional splurge).

So what does this mean to potential lenders? We have no need to incur debt, but if we wanted to say, buy an investment property, could we qualify on our assets (and credit history), or would our paltry "income" cause lenders to turn up their noses?

i think they do it based on your income-paltry or not
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
Always a potential problem, especially when pension funds look like tasty low-hanging fruit to lawmakers.
The situation in our state is better than many others - for now.
I wonder whether this is less dependent on the state from which you draw a public pension and more on what kind of funding requirements your lender may have.

If we only have to show guaranteed income for the next 3 years, maybe that gives them confidence in the pension lasting at least that long.

And couldn't they just as well worry about a private pension, too?

And then there is always that asteriod.

I have found variety in mortgage brokers and their guidelines, along the way, so if I wanted to invest and didn't get the terms I wanted, I would move on and just find me another one, cos they're makin' them thangs ever' day.