Quote:
Originally Posted by BanDit1 View Post
1. What is your Annual Income in ER? 36% of Pre-ER

2. What Percentage comes from your investment portfolio? 72% 18%

3. What Percentage comes from an employer provided pension? 28% 32%

4. What Percentage comes from Social Security? 0% 50%

5. What Percentage comes from part-time work? 0

6. What Percentage comes from other sources? ebay, craigslist .1%
Color Red at 59, Blue at 66 - Percentage will get higher on port, when RMD kick in.:confused:
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2008, 03:48 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

45, 100% of expected annual income comes from investment portfolio. Will sell second home in about 35 years and get an annuity or something like that.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:06 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1. Enough to cover 3 times expenses.
2. 38% (Investments all FDIC/NCUA CD Ladders)
3. 36% (Military COLA'd)
4. 26% (Old Folks Insurance (usually referred to as Social Security))
5. 0% (You have to be kidding)
6. 0% (What is this and is this legal?)

Does not include gifts (more or less Net to 0), Cash Rebates on Credit Cards etc., and any pennies found in the parking lots.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:49 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

1. What is your Annual Income in ER?
100% of my net pay during my working years (in other words, same as if I was still "working".)

2. What Percentage comes from your investment portfolio?
100% (includes income derived by converting 10% of my original retirement portfolio to an Immediate Annuity upon retirement last year).

3. What Percentage comes from an employer provided pension?
0% (e.g. zip, nada, nothing...)

4. What Percentage comes from Social Security?
Ask me in 10 years (age 70) when I claim it.

5. What Percentage comes from part-time work?
If I had "part time work", then I would be a "part time retiree" (I'm 100% retired )...

6. What Percentage comes from other sources?
0% ("those that fail to plan, plan to fail")...

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #25

I'll have income from all of those sources eventually, which makes the 4% rule of thumb kind of tough to follow. It will take maybe 20 years until we reach a stable balance of pension, SS, and investment income. And we're cheating until DW actually decides to quit work.

In addition, I've got one kid in college and another that will start in 2 years. So my expenses are much higher now than they will be in another 6 or 7 years or so.

No easy answers to those questions!

Dan
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #26

How about posting on websites to get reams of explicit financial information from people, then writing a book or columns about it for income to be used for question number 6?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, BanDit1! Regarding your original question, you first. But in the meantime I thank you for getting me to think outside my usual 4% box (which was once 8% because I was raised on Terhorst). The first thing you got me thinking about is that the amount to be withdrawn from my portfolio overlaps with my pension/profit sharing stream due to lump sum rollovers mixed with my IRA and the fact that my Keough with my current employer is under my control; not to mention a small pension payout that wasn’t rolled over.

I see little reason to break it down as you suggest. More interesting things to contemplate might be: 1) what percentage is deferred income?; this is so important because of difficult-to-determine tax consequences; 2) is the pension stream inflation-protected? (mine is not); 3) consider the synergy of it all-–I work for current income and future pension and SS pay outs, the income increases the amount I can put into an IRA and regular savings; 4) _______; 5) _________ ; etc. Like Jack Benny, I’m thinking it over.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

First of all, I apologize for appearing to be prying into everyones financials. That certainly was not my intention. I recently ER'd and was looking to see how my situation stacked up with others who have been at it a lot longer than me.

And, you're right...it should have been me first.

Anyway, my income is just about 2.5 times my expenses (80% pre-ER income).

It is made up of 76% employer pension and 24% from investments.

My pension is COLA'd, so I hope to keep those percentages relatively the same over time. Thanks.
BanDit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:31 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Glad to see you posting again, BanDit1, your numbers imply that you will be okay. I’m thinking about pulling the plug before May Day, here are my un-audited estimates: pre-Age 62 stream will be 100% from my portfolio which is seventy percent deferred income. At age 62 I will take SS and a small pension annuity will kick in; I estimate that the two combined will be about forty-five percent of my income stream.

You’re probably right to examine the origins of income streams. Example: when I start spending the small pension annuity, I know I will be painfully aware of where the money came from: long-ago mini-corp suddenly cancelled the plan just before many of my buddies would have vested. I’ve always thought of that money as "found money" because I went to work for the company for other reasons than acquiring retirement benefits; the annuity was later threatened by the Executive Life Scandal and some of those co-workers were lost to AIDS. I’ll have to have a ceremony and toast them as well as the company’s financial advisor who killed himself (apparently) because he had put so many people into Executive Life plans.

On another thread W2R discussed ways of taking the emotion out of money-–I thought a plan to run it through CDs before spending it was a good one.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Annual income -- approx. $25K (variable)

Sources: other (almost 100%) -- mostly from a family trust(s)

I retired at about age 41 and hope to remain that way for a long time. I'm not typical, but I am idle!