Join Early Retirement Today

Index Fund vs. Index ETF ?
Old 05-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Index Fund vs. Index ETF ?

Trying to understand difference between Index Fund vs. Index ETF ?

I read about the "mechanical differences", ETFs Vs. Index Funds: Quantifying The Differences

If you want to invest xx in equities to track S&P500, does it really matter if you choose Vanguard ETF (VOO) or Fidelity 500 Index (FUSEX) ?

The VG expense ratio is 0.05% less, but are there other reasons ?

Thanks !
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you were at Fidelity you would be paying commissions for the VOO trades. If you were going to dribble in $100/month for 30 years and then dribble out $100/month in retirement for however long, VOO would make little sense.

ETF's can be harder to rebalance by selling and buying shares. You have to worry about ETF prices rising between selling one set of shares and buying the next set. Plus commissions, if applicable. With funds you can get the NAV price at the end of the day.

If you rebalance using triggers it can be a bit frustrating to not know what a fund price will be at the end of the day. Will it actually end over your trigger or suddenly drop 1% just before the close and come nowhere close to your trigger. That's where I like ETF's, with everything else equal.

You have to consider how you will be managing your investment, in addition to the ER costs.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since they both track the same index I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Which one is easier for you? If you have the money in Fidelity do it with them and vice versa.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to prefer ETFs (since I could "control" the price I was buying/selling) until I realized re-balancing ETFs was more painful.
Your costs will be based on the $ amount you are looking to invest and how often you will buy/sell. If you are stuck to Fidelity for whatever reason, I would go with FUSEX.

My preferred order would be
1. VFIAX (Admiral @ 0.05% ER) in Vanguard account
2. VOO in Vanguard account, since long term I would consolidate in Vanguard and if you convert ETF->Fund, your cost basis stays
3. FUSEX in Fidelity
4. VOO in Fidelity
pixelville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:02 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are you aware of FUSVX which has a lower e.r. than FUSEX?

Here is another link: ETFs vs mutual funds - Bogleheads

ETFs settle in T+3, mutual funds in T+1. This may have consequences if you wish to get cash out after selling: The ETF will take 2 days longer.

Dividends are paid a few days later, too, and your broker decides the price when automatically re-invested.

Quote:
..., since long term I would consolidate in Vanguard and if you convert ETF->Fund, your cost basis stays
At Vanguard, one can convert some funds to ETFs, but one cannot convert ETFs to funds except by selling the ETF shares and buying the fund shares. Thus the cost basis does not stay the same.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
At Vanguard, one can convert some funds to ETFs, but one cannot convert ETFs to funds except by selling the ETF shares and buying the fund shares. Thus the cost basis does not stay the same.
Thanks LOL!
I didn't know that. I have done Fund to ETF in the past with no tax consequences and wrongly assumed it would work the other way. Good to know since I had plans at some point to move ETFs from other brokerages to Vanguard and was counting on doing ETF to Fund conversion. Now I need to rethink. Of course, I can still do it within my IRAs. Thanks.
pixelville is offline   Reply With Quote