Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Index Funds Pros and Cons
Old 09-26-2006, 11:06 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Funny how we never have these discussions about insurance agents or attorneys on here..........I guess those are the "honorable professions"............
Are you sure you have been here long enough to say what we "never" have done?

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2006, 05:21 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroman
In your opinion is Paul Merriman's advisory firm one of the good ones?
Hmmmmmm, I'd probably say no. Here is my reasoning

1. In his ADV he lists Charting and technical analysis as his primary asset allocation determinates. That sends shivers up my spine

2. He uses DFA funds which is a great thing, but he charges 1% off the top for buy and hold portfolios and OFFERS NO OTHER SERVICES

3. He has seminars, books, a website, etc. Being a good financial advisor is in some ways like being a good surgeon. You need to be available to your clients at all times, and your clients deserve nothing less than your full undivided attention. There is a reason the firm I work for hires PMs like myself. It's because actually advising the clients is a full time job so they hired me to do what the advisors can't or don't have time for. This guy seems like he has his hands in too many pots. In the ADV it says they can make accomodations to see you in person if you want. At our firm (and most good firms) if 2 months go by and you have not seen somebody from our company that would be very very rare.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:17 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
Is it not true that one can deduct only those expenses that exceed 2% of your AGI and then only if you itemize?* *If that's true, I hope I never even come close to paying 2% of AGI in management fees.
My question really did not get addressed yet ... there was a big side-step around it.

This is not unlike the idea that your fee to an accountant to prepare your tax-return is tax-deductible.* * TurboTax puts itself down on Schedule A as deductible, but then since you rarely reach the 2% floor for misc itemized deductions, that deduction is not counted.

I'll agree that if you get nickeled and dimed enough that these misc deductions add up, but that's still not a good use of money IMHO.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:52 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Are you sure you have been here long enough to say what we "never" have done?
Ha
No..............but you know that........... I guess I'll hang out at the woodshed by myself...............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:13 AM   #65

Quote:
Quote from: FinanceDude on September 26, 2006, 02:53:00 PM

One more thing:* Management fees can be deducted on your taxes, commissions can not............
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Commissions are deducted from the sales price when determining your gain on the sale of the asset.
Management fees can only be deducted if your itemized deductions are higher than your standard deduction.* Some people can go their entire lives not being able to deduct management fees paid.

Commissions are always deductible in that commissions paid to acquire are added to the basis and commissions paid to sell are deducted from the gross sales.* Everyone that pays commissions such as these gets the deduction.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:15 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Dont forget looking at the top funds every year 6 or 7 of them out of 10 are all load funds. True whats on top one year may be the bottom the next but non the less when your on top your on top.
Nothing wrong with higher fund expenses or loads if you are getting something extra in return.

To make blanket statements about always picking lower cost funds isnt always true
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:53 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
whats on top one year may be the bottom the next
And you don't know in advance which will be on top/bottom the following year. Not to mention that managed funds can have that end-of-year smack-down when they're out of losses to mitigate their gains.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:33 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Has anyone ever noticed the differences in performance between index funds from various companies for the "same" Index? Many companies offer SP500 Index, but the performance can vary quite a few bp. If you check individual fund performance vs. the Index itself, the expenses make up the difference. I presume it also has to due with management style, cash required on hand for redemptions, etc. Vanguard and some Institutional funds are very close to the Index, reflecting thier low expenses. We have one in our 401k that routinely beats the Index! (pretty cool).
Old 09-28-2006, 08:40 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash
Has anyone ever noticed the differences in performance between index funds from various companies for the "same" Index?* Many companies offer SP500 Index, but the performance can vary quite a few bp.* If you check individual fund performance vs. the Index itself, the expenses make up the difference.* I presume it also has to due with management style, cash required on hand for redemptions, etc.* *Vanguard and some Institutional funds are very close to the Index, reflecting thier low expenses.* We have one in our 401k that routinely beats the Index! (pretty cool).*
IMO, anyone outside of Vanguard offering a S&P 500 fund is doing it to keep their clients from going to Vanguard..........and their expenses are way out of line...........

I'll post the worst one I've found on here............gotta dig through some papers first................

Old 09-28-2006, 08:44 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

I once worked for a firm that had an S&P 500 index fund in their 401(k) plan that had an ER of 1.56%!!! When I inquired why the ER was so high in comparison to other S&P500 funds, I was informed that the process that the MF company used to select the stocks in the fund was very complex and a "company secret" and this added to the expenses but generated a better return for the fund in the long run.

Seems like I recall that the total return was around 1.5% or so below the benchmark.

regards,
mickeyd

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:51 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
I once worked for a firm that had an S&P 500 index fund in their 401(k) plan that had an ER of 1.56%!!! When I inquired why the ER was so high in comparison to other S&P500 funds, I was informed that the process that the MF company used to select the stocks in the fund was very complex and a "company secret" and this added to the expenses but generated a better return for the fund in the long run.

Seems like I recall that the total return was around 1.5% or so below the benchmark.

regards,
mickeyd

Old 09-28-2006, 01:00 PM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
IMO, anyone outside of Vanguard offering a S&P 500 fund is doing it to keep their clients from going to Vanguard...................
Does this apply to SPY ? As best i can tell, it is an ETF that follows the
S&P500, and has very low OER of 0.10%. Is there some reason not to
use it as my S&P500 index ?
JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEyles
Does this apply to SPY ?* *As best i can tell, it is an ETF that follows the
S&P500, and has very low OER of 0.10%.* *Is there some reason not to
use it as my S&P500 index ?
Well............it is an ETF, not a fund. Fact is, there's huge volume in ETF's everyday in the market.

I was referring to mutual funds that track the S&P................

Old 09-28-2006, 02:26 PM   #74

Quote:
Well............it is an ETF, not a fund.* Fact is, there's huge volume in ETF's everyday in the market.

I was referring to mutual funds that track the S&P................
I just meant is SPY a reasonable alternative to an S&P500 index fund ?
I mostly understand how the ETFs and mutual funds differ. I'm in Schwab
and would rather pay $13 to buy the ETF than $50 to buy a Vanguard index
fund. Plus the SPY has lower OER. (Sure I could open a Vanguard account too).

Old 09-28-2006, 02:30 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I mostly understand how the ETFs and mutual funds differ.* I'm in Schwab
and would rather pay $13 to buy the ETF than $50 to buy a Vanguard index
fund.* Plus the SPY has lower OER.* (Sure I could open a Vanguard account too).
I like SPY better than any S&P index fund, but that's a personal decision. There was a time when money could be made trading them, but those days seem in the rear view mirror.

Some of the other ETF's like Barclays have some interesting ones, and of course you can get wild with Diamonds, Cubes, and other jewelry...........

Old 09-28-2006, 03:04 PM   #76

Quote:
I like SPY better than any S&P index fund ...
Why ? Just the wickedly low expenses, or are there other subtleties ?
Old 09-28-2006, 03:05 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, SPY is a reasonable alternative. *We own it. *My spouse owns VFINX in an IRA.

If you were not worried about trading liquidity, then VTI has a 0.07% e.r. *And if available to you, VIIIX has an e.r. of 0.03%.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:16 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Don't forget that with an ETF there is the bid/ask spread. With a mutual fund like VFINX, buying and selling occurs at the NAV, so there is no spread per se.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
Don't forget that with an ETF there is the bid/ask spread.* With a mutual fund like VFINX, buying and selling occurs at the NAV, so there is no spread per se.
Yeah, but it is traded like a stock..............whereas the VFINX is priced at 3:00 pm once a day..........

Also, I beleive Vanguard hits you hard if you try to sell their S&P funds more than once every 30 days..............

Old 09-28-2006, 03:29 PM   #80

Quote:
Commissions are always deductible in that commissions paid to acquire are added to the basis and commissions paid to sell are deducted from the gross sales
commissions also reduce the net amount you have available to invest and hence the return on the total ... the tax impact will not offset that immediate loss
d is offline   Reply With Quote