Join Early Retirement Today

indexing bonds
Old 11-30-2006, 06:31 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

indexing bonds

Like most on this board I am a believer or indexing stocks. Does indexing bonds really makes sense too, or does relying on bond rating and maturity sufficient?

I am in FBIDX in Fidelity for the fixed income portion of a tax deferred account. Is there any reason for me to stay in this rather than switching to FTBFX?

Seems to have a higher turn over ratio and expenses but results seem better over time so...?

2 Funds Comparison
FBIDX FTBFX
Non-Load Adj. Returns
YTD 3.81 4.34
1 Yr 5.20 5.81
3 Yr 3.96 4.55
Expenses
Expense Ratio 0.32 0.45
Turnover Rate % 42 99
Transaction Fee No No
Volatility Measures
Beta 0.99 0.93
R2 0.99 0.97
Standard Deviation 3.16 3.03

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: indexing bonds
Old 11-30-2006, 07:01 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It depends on your reasons for maintaining a bond position. I tend to like the indexes because you know exactly what you are getting. There is (virtually) no chance that the manager made a big bet on credit or duration at an inopportune time. If you truly think you have found a superior manager in the bond world that will not do stupid things, then it might be worth departing from the index fund, but I would have a hard time believing that it would be worth bothering with a high grade bond fund.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:16 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

perinova,

fyi - FBIDX tracks the LBA index, which includes investment grade bonds, but excludes stuff like HY and EM bonds.

From Fidelity's website on FTBFX:

Quote:
Strategy
The fund normally invests at least 80% of its assets in debt securities of all types and repurchase agreements for those securities. The fund uses the Lehman Brothers U.S. Universal Index as a guide in allocating its assets across the investment-grade, high yield, and emerging market asset classes, and in managing the fund's overall interest rate risk. The fund may invest up to 15% of its assets in high yield and emerging market debt securities and may invest in domestic and foreign issuers.
FTBFX Holdings:
Investment Grade Bonds 83.5
High Yield Investments 10.8
Emerging Market Investments 2.9
Cash & Net Other Assets 2.8

If you want pure investment grade bonds, I'd go with FBIDX.

- Alec
Old 11-30-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
It depends on your reasons for maintaining a bond position. I tend to like the indexes because you know exactly what you are getting.

I don't know about that. Don't tell investors in Vanguard's total bond market index who got clipped 1%+ by the manager's loading up on Worldcom bonds at exactly the wrong time.

The sampling methods used in equity indexing are much different than those used in Fixed Income indexing (Brewer I know you know this already) and a lot more flexibility is left to the portfolio manager, not always with good results.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9

I don't know about that. Don't tell investors in Vanguard's total bond market index who got clipped 1%+ by the manager's loading up on Worldcom bonds at exactly the wrong time.

The sampling methods used in equity indexing are much different than those used in Fixed Income indexing (Brewer I know you know this already) and a lot more flexibility is left to the portfolio manager, not always with good results.

Yeah, its a problem that has no obvious solution. I suppose that you could always just stick with individual treasury bonds.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-30-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9

I recently read an article about how to squeeze alpha out of a bond manager............interesting idea, not sure if it has practical applications...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

There are plenty of bond managers that deliver alpha, but few of them are working at mutual funds.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-30-2006, 11:31 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Brewer, it looks like your prediction about what upside-down (high-short vs lower-long) portends is true. Sandy Lincoln is blowing current data off, but if the lower middle income household in the mid-west pulls back there is no avoiding the impact.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Brewer, it looks like your prediction about what upside-down (high-short vs lower-long) portends is true. Sandy Lincoln is blowing current data off, but if the lower middle income household in the mid-west pulls back there is no avoiding the impact.
Excuse my ignorance, but who the hell is Sandy Lincoln?

- Will Rogers
Old 11-30-2006, 11:36 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Ol' man Lincoln's daughter son? :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:24 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like the slice and dice approach to equities and BOND Mutual funds. BUT if I could only choose one BOND fund, I do like the FTBFX Holdings:
Quote:
Investment Grade Bonds 83.5
High Yield Investments 10.8
Emerging Market Investments 2.9
Cash & Net Other Assets 2.8
It gives a nice balance IMHO. Overall, I feel that Fidelity has great Bond funds.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:44 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Sandy Lincoln was an 'expert' opining on a financial channel this am. He is a new face to me too.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:11 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Sandy Lincoln was an 'expert' opining on a financial channel this am. He is a new face to me too.
Aha. I sort of figured as much, but I had never heard of him before.

I think we are headed for not-so-happy times in the next 18 months. Looks an awful lot like a stagflation scenario. Think hard assets, inflation-indexed bonds, short term highgrade bonds, and foreign currency denominated bonds.

- Will Rogers
Old 12-01-2006, 07:56 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I think we are headed for not-so-happy times in the next 18 months. Looks an awful lot like a stagflation scenario. Think hard assets, inflation-indexed bonds, short term highgrade bonds, and foreign currency denominated bonds.
Uh oh. Brewer, you aren't wearing one of those shiny silver hats are you?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:06 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Yep - it snowed here the other day - and I'm getting that old deja vue feeling myself.

Great Society and Vietnam - er ah tax cuts and Iraq. my defensive brilliance last time - in hindsight was only so so - Wellesley was good - still have 10% of a non working gold mine, timberland - the foriegn closed end bonds, mining stocks are gone.

This time - balanced index and stay the course.

History doesn't repeat but sometimes it rhymes - ??

heh heh heh heh
Old 12-01-2006, 08:10 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!

Nah. If I were, you'd hear me talking about "Gold, GOLD, GOLD!!!!!!!!!"

I am just calling it like I see it: inverted yield curve, falling USD, commodity prices rising again, median and lower US consumer flagging, and housing continuing its descent.

But I am a DMT and a retrograde stock and bond picker. If you are an allocator with an appropriately balanced portfolio, feel free to ignore my prognosticating.

- Will Rogers
Old 12-01-2006, 08:22 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Hey, a big seasonality runup followed by "sell in May" in the year after an voter-pandering election Congress, before either party is ready to pump up the 2008 election economy.

Or have we all partied hearty enough to forget last May-July yet?

Don't mind me-- I'll be investing overseas.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:24 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks all for your inputs!
Conclusion FTBFX is also an index fund but follwing the Universal Lehman Index. Lower grade bonds provide higher volatility and return.
So far I don't have any lower grade fund I am otherwise using VG. Tot. Bond Ix...