Individual 401k

Arif

Full time employment: Posting here.
I'm looking at opening up an individual 401k and started doing some research on the Vangard website. I ran across this section and needed clarification:

Employer contributions Maximum employer contribution per eligible employee is $52,000 for the 2014 tax year and $53,000 for the 2015 tax year. Maximum tax deductible employer contribution is 25% of compensation. Deductible as a business expense and not required every year.

So does this mean no tax is paid on the employer contributions (by the employee) even if you set it up as a ROTH? If it is then to me it looks like you never pay taxes on the employer contribution. Is that right or am I missing something?

Last edited:
If you set it up as a Roth, you will have 2 pools of money: 1) Employee Roth contributions and earnings. Those are tax free as long as you withdraw at the proper age. 2) Employer contributions and earnings. Fully taxable.

Just my reading.

Normally an employer sticks their contribution in a traditional 401k only, for the tax break. I had both types as individual 401k's, but didn't use the Roth enough to find those limits.

Back
Top Bottom