Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Inflation
Old 08-02-2006, 01:25 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

DW already told me to save the jewelry money for the kitchen remodel, she hates the kitchen and loves to cook, so I'm 100% behind this expenditure!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2006, 02:05 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There goes the BMI...* *

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:08 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
DW already told me to save the jewelry money for the kitchen remodel, she hates the kitchen and loves to cook, so I'm 100% behind this expenditure!
If only the wife would cook, I wouldn't mind a kitchen remodel so much. The extent of cooking in the house is usually boiling pasta or cooking taco meat once a week and microwaving other things the rest of the week. Not like you need the latest model of the 6-burner nat gas viking stainless steel stove for that!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:21 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
FWIW, I priced as close as I could get to the ring I am buying on Blue Nile and the equivalent was coming out at over $10k.* Gives you an idea of the mark-ups, and that is without retail store overhead.
Another attractive and very cost effective option, found by accident after I was searching for an old camera, presented itself in a pawn shop.* Seems most folks want to purchase "new" diamonds instead of "old" diamonds (truly relative terms when speaking of diamonds formed tens of thousands of years ago) as found in pawned and not reclaimed rings and brooches.* Various conversations with pawnbrokers and independent research revealed this to be the case.* Thus, DW: wearing 20 yr anniversary ring with "old" high quality diamonds (no inclusions or feathers in table, F color) in new setting for way below "jeweler or wholesale" cost.* Me:* happy fellow eating and sleeping well with minor ding in wallet.* *
Old 08-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #45

Great idea!
Do you think the cuts have changed materially since the old days? I guess you're limited in selection, but if you just cruise the pawnshops looking for a decent sized rock, you can then remount it almost any way you like. Hmmm.... like that idea. What would you say is the savings as a percentage after you factor in a new setting -- is it 50% of what you were seeing for 'new' millions-of-years-old diamonds, (which would put it at around wholesale) or even better than that?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:51 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I have often heard what a great "investment" joolery was, but I don't see how unless you have the family connection. Who is going to buy your "old" stuff for more than you paid for it as the style will certainly be dated, or is this just another myth perpetuated by the DeBeers cartel? Just a thought
Old 08-07-2006, 11:59 PM   #47

I wear my grandmother's diamond ring and get a lot of compliments on it--the diamonds are small, but the setting isn't (and it makes the diamonds look larger), and it's unusual as well as beautiful. She was married in the 20s so I guess that's the style --she actually reset her own mother's or grandmother's diamonds. I wear no other wedding or engagement ring (neither does my husband--we didn't buy them). The metal is what they call "white gold"--but I don't really know what that is. The last time I got it cleaned, I asked the jeweler if that was a synonym for platinum or silver, and she said no.

I wouldn't buy jewelry as an investment--unless it's a famous, unique or otherwise special piece (belonged to royalty or a celebrity?), I don't think it appreciates more than inflation at best, or so I have heard.

EDIT white gold is an alloy of gold plus one or more silver-toned metals...basically an imitation of platinum:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_gold
http://gilletts.com.au/information.php?info_id=26

hmm, I've never had the ring replated and I've been wearing it for 0ver 20 years.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:12 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

White gold is produced by alloying the pure gold with a whitish metal. Nickel or palladium are often used, but I believe silver is sometimes used also.

Mot yellow carat golds OTOH are made by alloying the gold with copper. And of course, pure gold has the perfect color!

Ha
Old 08-08-2006, 10:56 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJim
I have often heard what a great "investment" joolery was,* but I don't see how unless you have the family connection.*
When my mother died, my father gave my spouse first pick from Mom's jewel box. I think that jewel boxes are personal items which tend to lay around in plain sight for years without their owners discussing their contents. I remember seeing Mom's jewel box on her dresser ever since I've had memories, but I was 36 when Mom died and Dad's offer to spouse was the first time I'd ever seen the inside of Mom's jewel box.

In the bottom tray we found three 1950s-style engagement rings, all with very flamboyantly large (valuable?) diamonds. This gave us the impression that Mom had been previously engaged at least three times, but she'd never discussed that with Dad! Spouse made her choice, we talked about the implications for a few minutes, the box was put away, and the subject was never revisited. I think the rings were sold but I guess I'll know more when we have to sort through Dad's jewelry box someday...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:08 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria

hmm, I've never had the ring replated and I've been wearing it for 0ver 20 years.
I guess you wouldn't need to replate it, since it is a solid piece of the same alloy, that all got blended together when the metal was molten, right? (warning: sculptor bob starting to wade into metallurgy, an up-and-coming area of interest about which he knows nothing at all currently )
Old 08-08-2006, 11:21 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
I guess you wouldn't need to replate it, since it is a solid piece of the same alloy, that all got blended together when the metal was molten, right? (warning: sculptor bob starting to wade into metallurgy, an up-and-coming area of interest about which he knows nothing at all currently )
I read that white gold is plated with rhodium and is easily replated. It can get dull looking or scratch, I guess. Unlike platinum which develops a "patina." Learned all this last week during my purchase of a ring for the DW.

That constitutes my otherwise complete and utter lack of knowledge on the subject!

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:27 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Heheh, I just got back from a retail jeweler with a story to tell. *DW's watch is a (low end) Raymond Weil, so the local place that sells Timex' and Casios won't touch it, even though all it needs is a battery. *So I went into a joorly store near work. *I work in a place that is VERY affluent. *Hedge fund central. *When I pull into the parking lot, I am very careful not to scrape the many Lexi, BMWs, Porsches, etc. parked there. *You get the picture.

While I was waiting for the battery change, I spotted an interesting looking ring. *It had a very clear, bright stone the color of ancient wine (purplish with a deep amber/brown tinge). *I asked if it was a diamond, and they took it out of the case for me to look at it (I was dressed up and actually shaved today). *The guy said it was an estate diamond from the 1920s, and I had never seen anything like it in a colored diamond. *It was about 1.5 carats, maybe a touch more, and set with two other diamonds that were .75 to 1 carat each, all nice stones. *"Its a great buy", he said, "Only $32,000."

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:19 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow, $32,000!* That's over 1/4 of the purchase cost of our 1260-sq ft house in 2000.

I haven't had the money to spend on real jewelry, and I have no desire to save up and buy some either.* I think in all my working years, I've bought one real gold chain and a couple of Seiko watches.* The stuff I buy is costume jewelry.

My mom has given me four rings with stones--I think they're diamonds but growing up, I heard her stones termed as "diamante" and "brilliante" so I don't know which I got.* She's also given me a pair of earrings with same stones, a few gold rings, and gold necklaces.

Jewelry was a store of value where I come from, so that's probably why my dad bought her quite a few pieces--that, and love, of course He did buy some for himself, too.* Jewelry and land were what people invested in.* All our land has been sold off in the lean years.

No man has given me diamond jewelry.* The men I've dated are not well off.* Hmmm...maybe I should start finding jeweler's sons.* Anyway, I don't expect it.* I have enough and I'm afraid to wear them for fear of losing the stones.* (I know I've gotta get the settings checked.)

Your wives receiving them will feel pretty special, though.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstress
No man has given me diamond jewelry.* The men I've dated are not well off.* Hmmm...maybe I should start finding jeweler's sons.* Anyway, I don't expect it.*
Why not go straight to the headwaters and choose a jeweler himself?*

Better yet, choose an oilman and have him give you a nice 1000 bpd well. Then you can buy all the jewelry you might like, plus most anything else too.

Ha
Old 08-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #55

"Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend"
from GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES (1953)
words by Jule Styne and music by Leo Robin

The French are glad to die for love.
They delight in fighting duels.
But I prefer a man who lives
And gives expensive jewels.

A kiss on the hand
May be quite continental,
But diamonds are a girl's best friend.

A kiss may be grand
But it won't pay the rental
On your humble flat
Or help you at the automat.

Men grow cold
As girls grow old,
And we all lose our charms in the end.

But square-cut or pear-shaped,
These rocks don't loose their shape.
Diamonds are a girl's best friend.

Tiffany's!
Cartier!
Black Starr!
Frost Gorham!
Talk to me Harry Winston.
Tell me all about it!

There may come a time
When a lass needs a lawyer,

There may come a time
When a hard-boiled employer
Thinks you're awful nice,
But get that ice or else no dice.

He's your guy
When stocks are high,
But beware when they start to descend.

It's then that those louses
Go back to their spouses.
Diamonds are a girl's best friend.

I've heard of affairs
That are strictly platonic,

And I think affairs
That you must keep liaisonic
Are better bets
If little pets get big baguettes.

Time rolls on,
And youth is gone,
And you can't straighten up when you bend.

But stiff back
Or stiff knees,
You stand straight at Tiffany's.

Diamonds! Diamonds!
I don't mean rhinestones!
Old 08-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Why not go straight to the headwaters and choose a jeweler himself?*

Better yet, choose an oilman and have him give you a nice 1000 bpd well. Then you can buy all the jewelry you might like, plus most anything else too.

Ha
I wonder if Brewer's dad is available?* *

Well, HaHa, one of these days, I'll take sailing lessons.* Maybe that'll open up my horizons and I'd meet men of substance (oil, diamonds, gold, and other precious metals and commodities.)* 8)

Actually, I really would like to learn to sail because it was so peaceful the one time I got invited out on a sailboat ride...
Old 08-08-2006, 02:11 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
"Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend"
from GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES (1953)
That may help explain why, after checking diamond prices,* GENTLEMEN MARRY BRUNETTES (1955)*
Old 08-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

As Dolly Parton said, when asked if blondes were dumb: "I know I'm not dumb, and I also know I'm not blonde..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
So I went into a joorly store near work. I work in a place that is VERY affluent. Hedge fund central. When I pull into the parking lot, I am very careful not to scrape the many Lexi, BMWs, Porsches, etc. parked there. You get the picture.
Brewer,
Sounds a lot like Greenwich, CT. If it is, then I'm about 5 minutes away -- PM me and we can go have lunch sometime. I'll pull my 10-year-old minivan in between the Lexi and Porsches and we can enjoy looking at the $32,000 rings walking by on the sidewalk...
Old 08-09-2006, 04:54 AM   #60

flipstress, (at least in Italian) a 'diamante' and a 'brillante' are the same thing (yay!).* Or rather, 'brillante' is a name for the stone once it's been cut.

My MIL had 2 big diamond earrings and she wanted to give them to me to trade in for a single engagement ring stone. I don't know how many carats they are but each one is about 8.5mm in diameter. I told her we'd lose a lot of the value in the buying and selling, and, even if that weren't so, with the money from the 2 stones you wouldn't get a stone that was 2x as big, or even 1.5x.. so we made one into the engagement ring and the other into a pendant, and I scored a few points in the 'frugal' department with MIL!!!

Where I live people can be snobbish; they are ready to write me off as a bag lady until they see the big rock, so I get better treatment in certain contexts... (unfair but true, I see that people do notice). I wouldn't have insisted on going out and purchasing a big ring, but it has already "paid" for itself.. a la Mastercard:

Diamond ring: $10,000
Being able to get away with looking frumpy every day: priceless.*