Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Inflation
Old 08-09-2006, 08:48 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I left my diamond ring at home when I went to Italy to avoid looking like a rich American!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2006, 09:47 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina

Diamond ring: $10,000
Being able to get away with looking frumpy every day: priceless.

Ladelfina,
I know exactly what you mean. As I spend more years in ER I start to look a little rougher around the edges sometimes, in public, and I notice that other people in our town have not exactly started down the bohemian road themselves... Having something in your back pocket (or in your case, on your finger) seems to make a difference. ER isn't supposed to be about being treated like a bag-lady all the time! (unless you like to go incognito)
Old 08-14-2006, 05:35 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
Ladelfina,
I know exactly what you mean.* As I spend more years in ER I start to look a little rougher around the edges sometimes, in public, and I notice that other people in our town have not exactly started down the bohemian road themselves...* Having something in your back pocket (or in your case, on your finger) seems to make a difference.* *ER isn't supposed to be about being treated like a bag-lady all the time!* (unless you like to go incognito)
Heheh, that reminds me. Now that I work in a small shop and I pretty much sit in front of a terminal all day, I don't bother to shave or dress up unless we have current or prospective clients in. So I sometimes forget that I look scruffy and wander into one of the upscale shops nearby looking for something specific. You should see the reactions I get!

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:33 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
ER isn't supposed to be about being treated like a bag-lady all the time!* (unless you like to go incognito)
The difference is that in ER you should have a choice...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:25 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Heheh, that reminds me.* Now that I work in a small shop and I pretty much sit in front of a terminal all day, I don't bother to shave or dress up unless we have current or prospective clients in.* So I sometimes forget that I look scruffy and wander into one of the upscale shops nearby looking for something specific.* You should see the reactions I get!
Yeah, I've been working from a home office for three years now and I sometimes go several days without shaving. Work in my sweats or a pair of shorts and a tee-shirt most of the time; I've almost forgot how to tie a tie. My DW usually has to remind me to "get cleaned up" before we go out. I must say, it's a great way to wind down a career and gradually slip into FIRE.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:53 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
The difference is that in ER you should have a choice...
True, we have a choice. It is just the seduction of loosening my standards in dress and personal grooming is just too great. I mean, I can't believe I used to wear ties and wool suits and starched shirts every freakin' weekday, even in summer. Since we didn't move, most of my friends still do that sort of thing (OK, a few have dropped the tie, but the wool slacks and sport jacket are still very much in evidence...) The best I can hope for is they make a special category for me -- 'Former Suit'.

Still, even if I wanted to, I couldn't keep up with some of the more extreme ones. Bumped into a serious conversation last summer between two couples trying to determine where was the most expensive hotel/inn they could find on Block Island, as they wanted to book it. That was the same night one of the mom's put the whole ER thing under fire saying that she felt it sent the wrong signal to her sons about work ethic. (her husband was ER and she was pushing like mad to get him to go back to work -- she has now succeeded).

Old 08-15-2006, 06:27 AM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

ESRBob, I can't believe that woman! If her husband made enough to ensure a good life for his family and allow him to ER so he can actually spend some time with them, who the hell is she to tell him that isn't good enough? If she wants to inspire a good work ethic in her sons (whatever that means - I would think happiness in ER would be plenty inspiration to work hard), she can get a job! If she already has one and thinks every house should be dual income, she can get a second! Wow! What a jerk!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:31 AM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Wow! What a jerk!
Good morning Laurence. Are we having a bad day?

Old 08-15-2006, 06:43 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

I got up for work at 4, got home from work at 10 last night, sorry! The worst part is I have to do these kinds of hours right now due to other's mistakes/screw ups.

So yeah, the thought of ER sounds pretty good right now, and the thought of soemone forced back into this BS by a spouse sounds pretty messed up...guess it touched a nerve!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:14 AM   #70

Laurence,
I know, I know. I was shocked, too. The interesting thing is that the woman is normally very mild-mannered and quiet. This is the first time I ever saw her get her 'dander' up. Then again, her husband, the one who had been doing ER for a few years, was not exactly fighting the return to work -- he was having trouble channelling his energy into constructive pursuits and was also having status-loss regrets. So she was pushing while he wasn't resisting that much.

They did/do have plenty of $ so the financial side wasn't the issue.

I don't think you'll have to worry about this when your time comes, though! Hang in there through these long days of Overwork... there is an end to all this one day...
Old 08-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Then again, her husband, the one who had been doing ER for a few years, was not exactly fighting the return to work -- he was having trouble channelling his energy into constructive pursuits and was also having status-loss regrets.
Another one struggling to be responsible for his own entertainment.

At least he attempted to make the leap. He's learned more than any of us who just bought a one-way ticket and a bridge pyrotechnic.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote