Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Inflation fears Today Nope it really is all about OIL
Old 05-18-2006, 06:42 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
...my wife and i went to see the ray lucia seminar 2 weeks ago...so just last week we rebalanced everything and filled up our buckets ...we now have 14 years worth of money in our first 2 buckets in very secure investments
And, as I understand it, you will draw on that first bucket for current expenses but won't use it to buy additional equities, correct?

How about sharing what you put in your 1-7 and 7-14 year buckets. Then we can all benefit from the seminar.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2006, 03:41 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

well im still refining the buckets but basically we set aside an emergency fund in a "cup" of about 3 months expenses...
bucket 1 is bank accounts,cds,money markets ,ultra short term bond funds

bucket 2 i use fidelity monitors income and preservation mix.basically its bond funds,reit income funds ,income funds that may hold up to 20% equity in their mix

bucket 3 is where the action is.....i split my 3 bucket into 1/3 growth and income funds and 2/3 growth funds basically following fidelity insights growth mix and fidelity monitors growth and income mix with about 5% commodities thrown in....

im sooooo relieved right now knowing bucket 3 is not even going to be looked at for 14 years.......i used to debate with myself the virtues of bothering to run 3 seperate portfolios for 3 seperate time frames as opposed to 1 60/40 mix....well no debating anymore.the comfort level i have thru this drop is just amazing...i havent puckered once yet..in fact im looking to add to bucket 3 as im still cash heavy from selling quite a bit last week to start the bucket system and thankfully sold before the big drop ..just a lucky coincidence ....

Old 05-19-2006, 08:12 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy88
WE need the railroads rebuilt here in america, small cars 40+ mpg and hey we could put every able bodied person to work laying track and building new trains.

Whadya think?
New trackage cost around $1.25 Million per mile.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:36 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markplus4
New trackage cost around $1.25 Million per mile.
Seems pretty cheap considering potential throughput.
Consider that one highway lane can cost up to $20 Mil per mile:

Quote:
6. How much does it cost per mile to build a new lane of highway?
It depends on where you are, and factors such as land costs, people or businesses to relocate, environmental needs arising from construction such as noise walls for neighbors and storm water cleaning for streams and wetlands. It also depends on the elements in the project - are we just building a road, or are new bridges or interchanges also included?

Here's a sampling of project construction costs:

+ SR 18 widening in rural King County - about $24.5 million per mile.
+ US 12 widening south of Tri Cities - about $3.7 million per mile.
+ I-5 widening in Vancouver about $20.2 million per mile.
+ I-90 truck climbing lanes east of Cle Elum and at Vantage about $1 million per mile.
+ I-5 HOV lanes from Tukwila to Fife about $7 million per mile.

These costs are for construction only and do not include costs for engineering and design and for a widely-varying factor, land acquisition costs.
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Accountabili...sTax/QandA.htm