Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Inflation watch : 2014 postal rate
Old 12-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #1

Inflation watch : 2014 postal rate

From the news this morning. This will hit our budget, we still use the mail regularly.

Quote:
The cost of first-class postage stamps is going up by 3 cents — but only until the Postal Service makes up losses that it has estimated it accumulated during the recession. The increase — to 49 cents from 46 cents — will go into effect on Jan. 26.
Let's see. 100 stamps over the year, $.03 per stamp, comes to an additional $3.00. That's one and a half double espresso over at StarBucks.

I think $0.49 is an amazing bargain. Still, those forever stamps are alluring so I'll go buy a hundred or so. Starbucks will not benefit from our thrift, but I'm sure we will find a way to use the extra cash we are saving.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Love those forever stamps.

We bought several last Jan (before the last increase). And we haven't even used one yet!

We so rarely mail anything anymore. I might have used 5 stamps this year in total?

Old 12-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Whenever I see an announcement of a postal increase I have flashbacks to my w*rking life. We had a legacy (read ancient, inefficient, designed by Rube Goldberg) system to price delivery for our thousands of customers who each had unique contract pricing for thousands of individual products. The process to understand the changes to all the postal rate classifications, then calculate and implement the new rates by the effective date was grueling.

It is an understatement when I say I'm very happy all that is no longer my problem to oversee...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 12-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've still got part of roll of 32 cent stamps I'm trying to use up... I maybe use a couple in a year. Like paper checks, I don't think I wrote any paper checks during the year.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Love those forever stamps.

We bought several last Jan (before the last increase). And we haven't even used one yet!

We so rarely mail anything anymore. I might have used 5 stamps this year in total?
I used all mine up mailing a few Christmas Cards. I mail my monthly water payment to the city due to them charging for online payments. Idiots. So I guess I will go buy 20 or so stamps before the increase.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I mail my monthly water payment to the city due to them charging for online payments. Idiots.
My banks BillPay service will send a paper check when they can't do ACH. My water system has no online presence so they get a paper check via BillPay, doesn't cost me anything.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #7

An amazing and unsustainable good deal. The Canadian rate was just announced to go to $.85 from around $.50 I think. Also, they announced a gradual phasing out of home delivery using community drop boxes instead. As far as I am concerned we could easily phase the postal service out completely. We hardly ever get anything in the mail that means anything to me and these could easily go electronic within a short time.
I am always amazed when in Arizona how good the US postal service is, how cheap it is, and how resistant to service reductions Americans are. Why not just scrap it!!
Old 12-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #8

I work at the PO here in town tomorrow and at a town down the road on Saturday. I wonder if there will be a rush on the "forever" stamps while they are still 46 cents each. I hope the regular postmasters bought more stock than usual!

It is said that 2 of these 3 cents are supposed to be "temporary" (anyone believe that?), because of the major losses caused by a burdensome retiree health care requirement that no other employer, public or private, has to meet -- a requirement to pre-fund retiree health insurance for 75 years.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 12-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #9

Oh no. One more end of year investment decision.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It is said that 2 of these 3 cents are supposed to be "temporary" (anyone believe that?), because of the major losses caused by a burdensome retiree health care requirement that no other employer, public or private, has to meet -- a requirement to pre-fund retiree health insurance for 75 years.
Look on the bright side - at least the PO isn't in the news as another 'failed pension system unable to pay future obligations'.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think I used two stamps last year. The price of postage should be raised to whatever level is required to cover USPS costs rather than 2-3 cents at a whack (while they continue to operate in the red). Even a 50% increase would still be a bargain.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
An amazing and unsustainable good deal. The Canadian rate was just announced to go to $.85 from around $.50 I think. Also, they announced a gradual phasing out of home delivery using community drop boxes instead. As far as I am concerned we could easily phase the postal service out completely. We hardly ever get anything in the mail that means anything to me and these could easily go electronic within a short time.
I am always amazed when in Arizona how good the US postal service is, how cheap it is, and how resistant to service reductions Americans are. Why not just scrap it!!
How good it is? Lucky you are in Canada.

This year so far:

Two instances of gift cards that were mailed to me never showed up in my mailbox (and senders said they were mailed). Plus I tracked them via a tracking number.

Two priority mail (with tracking numbers) deliveries did not show up and the postal web site showed them as "delivered". When questioning mailman, he had no clue. Mysteriously, two days later, the deliveries were in my box.

It is not possible to file a written complaint against the post office's service anymore.

Numerous times my mail is put in other people's boxes and vice versa.

One tax bill was never delivered to me this year.

I can go on, by you get the message.

Oh, at work, our firm no longer uses the USPS services. Several of our clients insist on it.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
How good it is? Lucky you are in Canada.
OK maybe because I hardly ever get anything of importance, it just seems good? Why don't we just scrap it? I guess the pension costs would be a huge issue.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
Administrator

According to my records, I use 7 stamps/year on average.

Guess I won't worry too much when I compute my annual withdrawal for 2014.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
According to my records, I use 7 stamps/year on average.
There should be a thread on how many postal stamps one uses per year and for what purpose.

We use them for:

Christmas cards,
Property tax bills (to avoid the charge for an online payment fee),
Important correspondence (certified, return receipt),

That's about it...maybe 40 stamps per year.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Stock up on those forever stamps while you can.

I got about $200 worth back when they were about 42 cents each and the stamps are stored in my safe
Old 12-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Stock up on those forever stamps while you can.

I got about $200 worth back when they were about 42 cents each and the stamps are stored in my safe
Are you the one who started this 2011 discussion over on Bogleheads?

Bogleheads - Forever Stamps as an Investment?

Old 12-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Don't you think the postal worker union has something to do with that, more than the public at large?
Old 12-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #19

Doesn't Costco still sell stamps at a discount?
Old 12-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Doesn't Costco still sell stamps at a discount?
I think maybe they do - but I don't consider discounting a roll of 100 stamps by a total of $0.05 (not per stamp, per roll) to be significant enough to warrant my attention.

Closed Thread