Join Early Retirement Today

ING offers checking: "Electric Orange" account
Old 01-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ING offers checking: "Electric Orange" account

ING just sent me a letter offering their new "Electric Orange" checking account. It earns 3% interest, and as far as I can tell has no maintainance fees, minimum balance, or direct deposit requirement.

They say it is online only, and can be opened by logging in and going to "Open Account".

Anyone tried this out? The one limitation that bothers me is that they don't seem to have much free local ATM access, and the interest payout can change at any time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: ING offers checking: "Electric Orange" account
Old 01-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #2

Quote:
no maintainance fees, minimum balance, or direct deposit requirement
... and no (paper) checks either. no checks seems like a major disadvantage for a checking account

Old 01-24-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Unless you're doing electronic payments. I write about 3 actual checks per year and I could easily go to the bill payer and have them send the electronic payment as a check through the mail.

Best deal might be looking to see if your brokerage offers a checking account sitting on top of your brokerage sweep/money market account.

I've got mine with vanguard, no fees or charges if you're a flagship level customer (some small fees at voyager level), sweeps money in and out of my prime money market account...paying north of 5% right now.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Unless you're doing electronic payments. I write about 3 actual checks per year and I could easily go to the bill payer and have them send the electronic payment as a check through the mail.

Best deal might be looking to see if your brokerage offers a checking account sitting on top of your brokerage sweep/money market account.

I've got mine with vanguard, no fees or charges if you're a flagship level customer (some small fees at voyager level), sweeps money in and out of my prime money market account...paying north of 5% right now.
I'm leery of sending out checks with the account number of the account that holds almost my entire net worth. I've never once had a problem with my normal checking account, but given the amount of $ stashed in my vanguard account, it seems like a number I should guard closely.

Thoughts?
Old 01-24-2007, 07:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Unless you're doing electronic payments
i'm still writing about a half-dozen checks per month ... so for me the absence of checks is a major disadvantage for such a "checking" account.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

d,

When I was looking into it I read ING's web site and they say that if you need a paper check you just enter the info into their system and they'll mail it to your choice of the payee's address or your address.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:15 PM   #7

Presidential is offering over 4.5% checking but it requires DD....and pays that rate up to 25k...

http://www.presidential.com/

Old 01-24-2007, 08:19 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
I'm leery of sending out checks with the account number of the account that holds almost my entire net worth. I've never once had a problem with my normal checking account, but given the amount of $ stashed in my vanguard account, it seems like a number I should guard closely.

Thoughts?
Doesnt work that way. You have a checking acct number (aba routing, yada yada) thats different from your money market, brokerage or investment accounts. Its a "shim" account but its separate. Withdrawals, deposits and check demands are made against the "checking account", which is then applied to your brokerage sweep account, which then sweeps into or out of the money market account.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:30 PM   #9

Quote:
if you need a paper check you just enter the info into their system and they'll mail it to your choice of the payee's address or your address
... yes, but that will still not handle all situations ... and adds a brand new dimension to the "check's in the mail". how do i attach the non-existing check to my 1040? doesn't anyone else find a "checking" account without checks a bit less that 100% satisfactory?

if you're looking for interest, as Maddy has noted, Presidential offers (and has for quite some time) an attractive option; and CFB has noted yet another attractive option.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:42 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Doesnt the IRS take payments as EFT's if you provide your routing/account number? I know they deposit refunds that way, its how I get mine every year.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #11

i write 'em a check every year (actually 5 a year (1+quarterly est.)) .... don't know if they'll do etf for payments (don't think they do), but in any case i'd rather not give them that access on the out-side.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:09 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
... yes, but that will still not handle all situations ... and adds a brand new dimension to the "check's in the mail". how do i attach the non-existing check to my 1040? doesn't anyone else find a "checking" account without checks a bit less that 100% satisfactory?
Well, I looked into it and didn't think it met my needs either, but you could have the check mailed to you and then attach it to your 1040. Granted you would need to plan ahead a few days to allow for mailing time. But it definitely has disadvantages in my mind.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

And voila...

http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=97400,00.html

Epay taxes for individuals and businesses. By credit card, bank account, etc, online, by phone or via tax preparer.

Looks like it might be an easy way to automatically pay those pesky quarterly estimated taxes as well.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:49 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I use EFTPS for my quarterly estimated payments. Easy, peasey.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
i write 'em a check every year (actually 5 a year (1+quarterly est.)) .... don't know if they'll do etf for payments (don't think they do), but in any case i'd rather not give them that access on the out-side.
I think there are plenty of checking-account choices for people like you who choose to stick with paper.

ING's higher interest rate is sharing the profits of doing away with paper. I hardly ever write a check anymore, despite having given dozens of businesses & govt agencies that access on the outside, and I don't mind not being able to put pen to paper.

Heck, these days it's easier to send an e-mail with a PayPal link.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:02 PM   #16

Quote:
And voila...
... seek and ye shall find. but: old dogs, new tricks? (it appears that e-pay requires e-file.)
Old 01-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #17

Quote:
I'm leery of sending out checks with the account number of the account that holds almost my entire net worth.
That's my feeling too... I don't want to end up like this guy:

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/01/24..._kidnap_v.html

who was kidnapped when the bad guys learned he had $110k available to withdraw from his ATM.

Especially when I travel internationally, it's nice to know that my main stash is in an account inaccessible with the ATM card I'm carrying.