Join Early Retirement Today

ING "Your Number" ads.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

ING "Your Number" ads.

http://www.ingyournumber.com

Cute ads on TV. Above website is calculator. Pretty basic.

"My number" assumed a 4.8% SWR.........
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yykes, they would have me believe I have a cushion 21.6% above what I need. I really disagree with that!

I chose to retire now with 25 years to go. It looks like they figure a 5.1% withdrawal rate on the first year, I wouldn't call that a SWR.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Couldn't handle the stress - Maria felt like the dental assistant telling me about flossing and William felt like the guidance counselor or the cop in an interrogation room. Going to send them money so they stop asking all those questions! (Will is funny if you don't answer for a while). My my number is bigger than their My Number.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #4

Fireclac gives me a much better "warm fuzzy"

.....and their "my number" is much lower than I calculated too.....hmmmmm......does that mean if I
move all of my $$$ to them, that I can get more each year!!?? ...........or maybe I could live longer......
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I guess they would want to put that extra 21.6% cushion into an Ann*ity. My niece should be very happy with the excess.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I tried it. The "interview" format was excrusicating. Even "quick mode" seemed to raise my blood pressure a few points. I guess this is OK for somebody who has never investigated the subject before.

BTW, the application should have been buffering the video and audio for the next question during the think time for the current question.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I told it that I was 62 and wanted to retire at 62 (actually I'm almost 60 and want to retire at 61). Anyway, it gave me a 4% SWR. I suspect that those who got higher SWR's were not saying that they want to retire immediately. The money is probably given in present-day dollars, and will grow to be much larger by the time you get to the specified retirement age.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I gave it a try, retiring at my current age and giving it an 'until' age 40 years out. The 'number' and annual income corresponded to a safe withdrawal rate of 3.6%

The real variables appear to be the desired income and a period of time retirement is to last. It looks like they use the time period to get an annuitization rate and calculate the needed 'number' from that.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I gave it a try, retiring at my current age and giving it an 'until' age 40 years out. The 'number' and annual income corresponded to a safe withdrawal rate of 3.6%

The real variables appear to be the desired income and a period of time retirement is to last. It looks like they use the time period to get an annuitization rate and calculate the needed 'number' from that.
Hmmm!! Interesting. That makes sense, since I gave it a slightly shorter retirement length. Thanks.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #10

What a piece of cr*p. Just think, I could move my VA's to them.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

My number also corresponded to a SWR of 3.6%

Do you think these calculators are calling for 70-80% of your AGI or of your actual gross? You think they would specify because the latter seems far more accurate since the former is including current retirement savings.
Johnphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:42 PM   #12

Hilarious. I quit after it asked me to input my current age - 49 - and the reply was: "Great. It's never too early to start."
Old 05-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My 60 yr retirement objective returned an SWR of 2.86% . . . similar to what I was planning.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:39 PM   #14

I did the quick one. It came up with about the same number as FireCalc.