IngDirect paying 2.6%

I can still get 2.5 to 3 % locally in a couple of places.
Just have to keep checking and moving the money
around sometimes. Every time I start to look at ING, someone around here
offers as good or better for liquid funds.

JG

I'm sorry, I thought for a minute there that you used the word 'competition'?
:D

?

I can still get 2.5 to 3 % locally in a couple of places.
Just have to keep checking and moving the money
around sometimes.  Every time I start to look at ING, someone around here
offers as good or better for liquid funds.  

JG

Ingdirect is more than rates.

Well you compared one company that makes billions in profits every year with one that copied their original idea and has only made money in one recent quarter when they sandbagged.

Hence my confusion at the word 'competition'...
:-*

Not financial competition - Competition is good for the consumer. Intel could charge any price as the only maker of IBM chips until Cyrix & AMD entered the market. P4 chip prices at one time were higher than some computer systems cost today.

With EmigrantDirect going for the same customers IngDirect has to be more competitive which should benefit the consumer.

Re. "IngDirect is more than rates", I don't think I care.
Unless they come over and wash my car, all I want
is the rate.

Here is what I found locally in the past 3 weeks:

9 month CD @ 2.75%

Several "promo" savings/MM accounts at 3%. I went with one which has a 10K minimum and a 6 month lock on the rate. If you close the account before 6 months
(I have to watch that because I move the money around) the penalty is $20. A no brainer!

JG

You can get 2.39% right now on a 6-month CD at Pentagon Fed. Credit Union, and also get 1.25% cash back on the purchase, using their Pen Fed Visa card. Not a bad deal. Even if you need the money early and have to pay the early withdrawal penalty, you still come out ahead because of the cash back.

RAE

Several "promo" savings/MM accounts at 3%. I went with one which has a 10K minimum and a 6 month lock on the rate. If you close the account before 6 months
(I have to watch that because I move the money around) the penalty is $20. A no brainer!

JG
I went w/ MMA at 3.25% with 5K min and rate guaranteed until December. Account closed before 90 days has a $10 penalty - WFB. Bank rates have been fairly active in the past two weeks, I'm guessing that I'll probably move the money to even higher yield after the 90 days to avoid the 10 fee. Don't have any money in CD longer than 3 months @3%.

I went w/ MMA at 3.25% with 5K min and rate guaranteed until December. Account closed before 90 days has a $10 penalty - WFB. Bank rates have been fairly active in the past two weeks, I'm guessing that I'll probably move the money to even higher yield after the 90 days to avoid the 10 fee. Don't have any money in CD longer than 3 months @3%.
At a local bank I was able to get 3.50% for a MMA with only $10K minimum (rate guaranteed until July 2006 .......yes 2006 not 2005). FDIC insured up to $100K. Also same bank, another liquid account with $100K minimum giving 4% for 6 months.

Ford Money Market (which is not FDIC insured) yielding 3.27% for balances $50,000 and above.

These are the absolute best rates I have found for totally liquid accounts.

Dante :) :) ;)

Hey Dante.........can you share the bank's name?
I haven't found anything like that and I have looked .

JG

Ok, I'm alright now.

Yes, once again the market makes curious decisions.

Tell me Spanky, why you want a 64 bit desktop chip when all "64-bitness" buys you is more than 4GB of memory and in general, almost every operation is slower than an equivalent 32 bit processor?

Not to mention that 99.9% of software is compiled and optimized for a 32 bit architecture and more than 20-30% of it wont be available in a 64 bit version during the average life span of a machine bought today. And almost all of that will be entertainment s/w.

I'll grant that Intels 64 bit strategy sucked and still sucks. Itanium was way too late, Intel stuck with the committment to HP on it longer than HP did (gee...thanks guys), and the same management team that fumbled the pentium "flaw" fumbled the intro of the 64 bit extensions into the 32 bit product line. That it makes no sense to have 64 bit on the desktop before 2009-2010 doesnt matter to people who "want it anyhow".

I had dropped this, but going back to the original thread hijack, AMD and Cyrix caused very few changes to product directions, introductions and I dont think anybody at Intel ever felt worried that either of these companies would take market share away. They were successful in making some products less profitable or profitable for a shorter time. Taking money out of my pocket without putting any in yours or having a shot at taking my business away isnt competition, its just sustained bad business. Now transmeta caused a few good product and direction changes and they had a shot at swiping the notebook business, but fizzled.

Lastly for what its worth, I'm not a huge fan of the p4 line as its ended up. Too hot and too inefficient on single threaded benchmarks, which are most peoples primary measuring tool. Why, when most people operate in a highly multitasking/multithreaded environment and thats where the p4's long pipelines really shine...I dont know. A lot of the product line improvements that were supposed to end up in the chip dont seem to have made it. Probably derailed by this 64 bit red herring.

But the upcoming dual core processors and the pentium-m's...thems some sweet victuals... ;)

And what has this got to do with IngDirect paying
2.6%? :)

JG

Its a better return on your computing investment.

And dont YOU lecture me about thread hijacking Mister... :mad: :D

Re. "IngDirect is more than rates", I don't think I care.
Unless they come over and wash my car, all I want
is the rate.

There is a difference in usage - its like comparing the H2 to the corvette. Ing Direct is not used for investments just short term money that would be sitting in a checking or savings account waiting to pay bills or other usage. A really appreciated feature is moving money between accounts at several banks 24 hours a day without having to drive.

But the upcoming dual core processors and the pentium-m's...thems some sweet victuals... ;)

I concur - multi-processor architecture is the way to go. I wonder who else will be providing the operating system for it other than Microsoft?

Cheers. Spanky

Sorry but returning to the original thread theme. :mad:

I just saw a bank offering 5.73% for 6 months and 6.25% for a

liquid MM. I am not sure why the MM is higher

but you can check them out at

www.we beat_them_hands_down.com

MJ :D

This one will work. Catch is if you want the 4% jumbo you have to go into the branch to get it.

http://hvfcu.org/PM/PM_CAGive.cfm

Or send you ur money to me and I'll deposit it for you.

Seriously, though this thread is testimony to the effects of rising interest rates. Banks almost never gamble on futures. Now they are offering higher rates over a longer period. The last time this CU offered a 4% rate was in December for 90 days only. I got that one and was planning to cash out this week and send all to Vanguard. Maybe I'll hang in for another year...:confused:

BUM

Well, maybe you're right, but here I sit with a bunch of cash and can't decide where to put it. An extra 0.1
here, a few catches there, short term CDs, rates in flux
but trending up? What to do? The interesting part is
that I'm probably only losing enough interest to pay for my daily
Frappacino fix, but it's bothering me to have that money
just sitting there :)

JG

Well, maybe you're right, but here I sit with a bunch of cash and can't decide where to put it.  An extra 0.1
here, a few catches there, short term CDs, rates in flux
but trending up?  What to do?  The interesting part is
that I'm probably only losing enough interest  to pay for my daily
Frappacino fix, but it's bothering me to have that money
just sitting there  :)

JG

If I were you, I'd be a lot more worried about the GM bonds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom