Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a lot of faith in TripAdvisor, and have written some reviews (positive and negative) myself. It was interesting that even many of the positive reviews referenced Scooby Doo and the Shining. But there's no way I'd have ever stayed there based on the reviews. Icky toilet seats and ants in the beds would have done it for me. Hope you check the piano seat before you sit down.

I really do wonder about some businesses. Money laundering is my explanation for many of them, like the gas station that charges over a dollar more per gallon than it's neighbors, or the restaurant that is open every day but only has customers one night/week. If there's another reason for them to be like that I can't figure it out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #22

I think forum members are much more successful, both professionally and financially, than society in general. We regularly see examples of bad financial choices being posted here, but not bad business management. Almost 3/4 of all new businesses opened in the US will fail in 10 years.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow... just looked at the Tripadvisor pics. Very nice piano situated in a very, very nice "grand hall" No wonder you like playing there. Mind you, as the others say, head for the door when "Jack" or the twins come down one of those hallways.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Good location for RE Forum convention?
ducky911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Well, are the rooms possibly rented hourly?
That's about 55 minutes too long for me ...
Old 04-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I really do wonder about some businesses. Money laundering is my explanation for many of them, like the gas station that charges over a dollar more per gallon than it's neighbors, or the restaurant that is open every day but only has customers one night/week. If there's another reason for them to be like that I can't figure it out.
There was a gas station near where I worked several years ago. Their gas was about 50 cents over the competition and I hardly saw anyone there getting gas. There were a number of people that went into the "quickie mart" section to get something. The police raided it one night and busted a thriving drug business.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Almost 3/4 of all new businesses opened in the US will fail in 10 years.
At a previous address, our next door neighbor was a great guy who was in charge of small business lending at a prominent local bank.

While idly chatting one day, I mentioned some suicidally stupid move made by a little local outfit, and my neighbor's response was a smile and "That's why most small businesses stay small."

Slightly up the ladder, I once w*rked for a very small company (16 employees when I joined) where the founder/CEO was simultaneously his own greatest asset and his own worst enemy. Extremely charismatic and a natural salesman, but unable to grasp the concept that someone else could have a better idea about any issue. That company did great for a while, and grew to over 50 employees before imploding in the dot com bust.

What I got out of it is that transition from small company to medium size is just as difficult as from startup to small company.

Al's attempt to nudge the owner into more effective advertising is a perfect case in point.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
My the write up makes the place sound really nice. If I am ever in Eureka again I'll have to check it out.
I'm not sure there's much competition for the title of "Best inn in Eureka!!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote