Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Insurace co CD: fixed immediate annuity?
Old 09-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 833
Insurace co CD: fixed immediate annuity?

There was a brief mention in another thread about single fixed premium, immediate, period certain annuities essentially (and over simplistically) being "a CD from an insurance company".

With CD rates heading back down the drain, I went surfing for 50K single premium, 5 year "period certain" and the results are dismal.
All I can find are those that pay back principal/premium monthly, and they seem to pay a whopping 0.25%

One aggregator website SUGGESTS options as high as 4%, but I have to drop the credit rating screener down to B+ to see those. It presents zero zip nada options with A or better credit rating. And find a name brand recognizable/too-big-too-fail company? fuhgeddaboutdit.



So are these CD alternatives the mythical unicorn?
Or where are y'all finding these "CD-like" annuities?
__________________

Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Insurace co CD: fixed immediate annuity?
Old 09-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 4,331
Insurace co CD: fixed immediate annuity?

They’re not unicorns. Fidelity and VG have them. Here’s the site most frequently cited here. It has a 5 yr at 3.85% from a B++ rated company. Do not confuse insurance company ratings with the ratings you would see for an individual bond.
www.immediateannuities.com. They’re sometimes called MYGAs. Multi Year Guaranteed Annuity.
__________________

__________________
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 4,331
If you insist on higher rated insurance companies, Fido has one from The Principal that has an A+ rating with 1.85% for 5 yrs.
__________________
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JoeWras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,594
My dad started having dementia and marched into the bank office and demanded higher rates on his CD. The investment arm of the bank put him in these.

It wasn't the worst thing in the world. They've worked out fine.

A few things to consider.

- Not FDIC insured. Maybe OK though with the big boy insurers.
- Tax deferral. Both good and bad.
- Early surrender complications.

I inherited dad's and was given the opportunity to let it ride another 5 years. I did in order to defer the tax hit until I ER'd, which is this year, when I have no W-2 wages. So, that's actually a good thing. It was also paying 3 to 5 % during this time.

I'm still not in a hurry to get into these again though.
__________________
Retired Class of 2018
Recent graduate to the lumpen slums of cyberspace
JoeWras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Historic Florida
Posts: 3,521
They used to be a good rate A and A+ rated companies for 3 year durations until bond returns dropped. They are typically based on the 5 and 10 year Treasuries. I did get a quote a few months back for 3.15% from Minnesota Life, but not anymore.
__________________
"Arguing with an Engineer is like rolling in the mud with a pig. Just remember that the pig likes it."
ShokWaveRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 22,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
There was a brief mention in another thread about single fixed premium, immediate, period certain annuities essentially (and over simplistically) being "a CD from an insurance company".

With CD rates heading back down the drain, I went surfing for 50K single premium, 5 year "period certain" and the results are dismal.
All I can find are those that pay back principal/premium monthly, and they seem to pay a whopping 0.25%

One aggregator website SUGGESTS options as high as 4%, but I have to drop the credit rating screener down to B+ to see those. It presents zero zip nada options with A or better credit rating. And find a name brand recognizable/too-big-too-fail company? fuhgeddaboutdit.



So are these CD alternatives the mythical unicorn?
Or where are y'all finding these "CD-like" annuities?
It is not single fixed premium, immediate, period certain annuities... while it goes my many names, generically it is referred to as a SPDA (single premium deferred annuity) and is very much the insurance industry verson of a CD. Like a CD, you don't receive periodic payments.

Typically, the buyer makes a single premium payment and is promised x%/year for y years... like a CD. At the end of y years, they can surrender it for cash (in which case the growth is taxable), roll it into a new SPDA or exercise the annuitization option and receive periodic payments for a certain period or for life. The annuitization option is what allows it to be considered an annuity and interest not taxed until it is received, which is handy for those with ACA income subsidy constraints or who don't want to show income for college funding.

From what I have seen the rates are in the ball-park with CDs of similar duration, or perhaps a tad lower.

From Fidelity's website:
Guaranteed Rates for FloridaAs of 09/02/2019
Issuer/ProductGuarantee/Surrender PeriodBase Rate3Jumbo Rate
MassMutual Stable VoyageSM3/3 YR1.55%1.80%
New York Life Secure Term MVA Fixed IV3/3 YR1.55%1.80%
Principal Select Series3/3 YR1.85%1.95%
Western Southern SmartSelect3/3 YR1.60%1.75%
MassMutual Stable VoyageSM4/4 YR1.60%1.85%
New York Life Secure Term MVA Fixed IV4/4 YR1.55%1.80%
Principal Select Series4/4 YR1.85%1.95%
Western Southern SmartSelect4/4 YR1.50%1.65%
Guardian Fixed Target AnnuitySM5/5 YR1.05%1.15%
MassMutual Stable VoyageSM5/5 YR1.60%1.85%
New York Life Secure Term MVA Fixed IV5/5 YR1.55%1.80%
Principal Select Series5/5 YR1.85%1.95%
Western Southern SmartSelect5/5 YR1.30%1.45%
Guardian Fixed Target AnnuitySM6/6 YR1.00%1.05%
New York Life Secure Term MVA Fixed IV6/6 YR1.55%1.80%
Principal Select Series6/6 YR1.85%1.95%
Western Southern SmartSelect6/6 YR1.30%1.45%
Principal Select Series7/7 YR1.85%2.00%
Western Southern SmartSelect7/7 YR1.30%1.45%
Principal Select Series9/9 YR1.65%1.80%
Western Southern SmartSelect9/9 YR1.00%1.15%
Western Southern SmartSelect10/10 YR1.20%1.35%
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It is not single fixed premium, immediate, period certain annuities... while it goes my many names, generically it is referred to as a SPDA (single premium deferred annuity) and is very much the insurance industry verson of a CD. Like a CD, you don't receive periodic payments.

Typically, the buyer makes a single premium payment and is promised x%/year for y years... like a CD. At the end of y years, they can surrender it for cash (in which case the growth is taxable), roll it into a new SPDA or exercise the annuitization option and receive periodic payments for a certain period or for life. The annuitization option is what allows it to be considered an annuity and interest not taxed until it is received, which is handy for those with ACA income subsidy constraints or who don't want to show income for college funding.

From what I have seen the rates are in the ball-park with CDs of similar duration, or perhaps a tad lower.

From Fidelity's website:
Guaranteed Rates for FloridaAs of 09/02/2019
Issuer/ProductGuarantee/Surrender PeriodBase Rate3Jumbo Rate
MassMutual Stable VoyageSM3/3 YR1.55%1.80%
New York Life Secure Term MVA Fixed IV3/3 YR1.55%1.80%
Principal Select Series3/3 YR1.85%1.95%
Western Southern SmartSelect3/3 YR1.60%1.75%
MassMutual Stable VoyageSM4/4 YR1.60%1.85%
New York Life Secure Term MVA Fixed IV4/4 YR1.55%1.80%
Principal Select Series4/4 YR1.85%1.95%
Western Southern SmartSelect4/4 YR1.50%1.65%
Guardian Fixed Target AnnuitySM5/5 YR1.05%1.15%
MassMutual Stable VoyageSM5/5 YR1.60%1.85%
New York Life Secure Term MVA Fixed IV5/5 YR1.55%1.80%
Principal Select Series5/5 YR1.85%1.95%
Western Southern SmartSelect5/5 YR1.30%1.45%
Guardian Fixed Target AnnuitySM6/6 YR1.00%1.05%
New York Life Secure Term MVA Fixed IV6/6 YR1.55%1.80%
Principal Select Series6/6 YR1.85%1.95%
Western Southern SmartSelect6/6 YR1.30%1.45%
Principal Select Series7/7 YR1.85%2.00%
Western Southern SmartSelect7/7 YR1.30%1.45%
Principal Select Series9/9 YR1.65%1.80%
Western Southern SmartSelect9/9 YR1.00%1.15%
Western Southern SmartSelect10/10 YR1.20%1.35%
Might as well just buy a treasury.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Historic Florida
Posts: 3,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Might as well just buy a treasury.
You cannot defer income (Unless an IRA or such like) with treasuries.
__________________
"Arguing with an Engineer is like rolling in the mud with a pig. Just remember that the pig likes it."
ShokWaveRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 22,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Might as well just buy a treasury.
Unless one has a reason to want to defer the income I agree... though many CDs yield more than a treasury and have negligible credit risk.

I've been picking up 5-year credit union CDs yielding 3% and more over the past couple months.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24
We had one of these annuities which matured earlier this year. It was a 10 year paying 6%. We reinvested in a 5 year paying 3.5%. We have the option to withdraw 10% per year if we want to. We used BluePrint Income and were pretty pleased with their offerings and with their service.
gailwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 22,703
I don't see them as attractive at all. The best 5 year A+ or better on Blueprint Income was 2.7% (PennMutual). I recently bought a 5 year CD yielding 3.0%. Better yield, less credit risk.... I'll stick with CDs.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:46 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Historic Florida
Posts: 3,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I don't see them as attractive at all. The best 5 year A+ or better on Blueprint Income was 2.7% (PennMutual). I recently bought a 5 year CD yielding 3.0%. Better yield, less credit risk.... I'll stick with CDs.
You are perfectly correct, they are not attractive at all, at least not anymore.
__________________
"Arguing with an Engineer is like rolling in the mud with a pig. Just remember that the pig likes it."
ShokWaveRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:57 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 4,331
I don’t get the bashing of these things. They have their place. Being able to take 10%\yr withdrawal w/o any penalty is a feature that I might find useful. If you require A+ ratings to SWAN they are not so attractive. I thought treasury paper is sub 2% out to 10 yrs. I don’t need much of that !
__________________
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:06 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JoeWras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I don’t get the bashing of these things. They have their place. Being able to take 10%\yr withdrawal w/o any penalty is a feature that I might find useful. If you require A+ ratings to SWAN they are not so attractive. I thought treasury paper is sub 2% out to 10 yrs. I don’t need much of that !
Although DW and I are not signing up for these, I still agree that bashing is probably not warranted.

When I spoke to the bank investment guy about my dad, he brought up to me that he felt my dad was showing signs of dementia, but was very insistent on better rates and wasn't going to leave the bank without a "real" CD rate. He said he felt this was the best vehicle for my dad that still fell in the guidelines of fiduciary responsibility. I really couldn't disagree and was thankful he didn't throw him into a variable annuity or other exotic.
__________________
Retired Class of 2018
Recent graduate to the lumpen slums of cyberspace
JoeWras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:22 AM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 31
First of all I drive a chevy not a cadillac.

The actual rate is 4% but I renewed my Personal Choice annuity for 5 yrs @3.92% with a free 10% withdrawal. Don't put your money here if you want it out early for sure they have high surrender charges. https://sslco.com/content/personal-choice

Other mega posters here do not like it since its a B++. I feel it's just as safe here in Oklahoma its guaranteed thru the OK State insurance Corp. I would like to know the last time a Insurance company faulted?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:09 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 22,703
I agree on the last part.... even though B++ the risk of default is minimal... the insurer would have to blow through reserves and surplus and then you have the state guarranty fund on top of that. Very unlikely in 5 years.

The last major insolvency that I can remember was Mutual Benefit Life back in the mid to late 1990s but I'm sure there have been smaller ones since then.

When I worked in the industry I heard claims that no one had ever lost principal to an insurer insolvency (but they might have received less than the interest rate promised in their contract) but I've never seen proof of that but it wouldn't surprise me if it was true.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,794
Penn Treaty is currently insolvent and Will impair policyholders.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:56 AM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 22,703
Interesting.... I had never heard of them... from a couple articles it sounds like a LTC specialist that didn't raise premiums enough to reflect emerging experience and it caught up with them.

While it appears that some policyholders won't get their promised benefits for LTC, its not a loss of principal per se.

I wonder if regulators might be able to sell off their non-LTC business to another insurer. Back in the late 1990s a small group of insurers got together and reinsured certain blocks of MBL's business.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Being able to take 10%\yr withdrawal w/o any penalty is a feature that I might find useful.
Yes, I agree with this. The Annuitization rate interest was so small i renewed it with the free 10% withdrawal. I just retired in July 2019 I didn't want to pay taxes on all the interest earned the last 5 years @ 3.12%. My plan is to take some of the 10% for the next 5 years to reduce my taxes just before i have to take my RMD.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:18 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Interesting.... I had never heard of them... from a couple articles it sounds like a LTC specialist that didn't raise premiums enough to reflect emerging experience and it caught up with them.

While it appears that some policyholders won't get their promised benefits for LTC, its not a loss of principal per se.

I wonder if regulators might be able to sell off their non-LTC business to another insurer. Back in the late 1990s a small group of insurers got together and reinsured certain blocks of MBL's business.
The way I read things there really is no meat left on the bone there and it is a mess. I expect more troubles for other companies that were in this business.
__________________

__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who has no regrets about their fixed immediate annuity? LXEX55 FIRE and Money 26 09-22-2018 07:44 PM
Looking For an Immediate Fixed 5 year Annuity Cammot Stock Picking and Market Strategy 8 01-31-2014 11:24 AM
Online Quotes for Private Health Insurace Plans EagleEye Health and Early Retirement 7 11-02-2008 07:44 PM
Annuities-Variable? Fixed? Immediate jackalope FIRE and Money 6 10-01-2003 04:36 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:54 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.