Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-23-2007, 11:23 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by rjpatt View Post
If you are saving for ER (which I assume means you have or are planning to have a nice nest egg) I think you need much more than the minimum liability which I believe in LA is only like 10 or 20k. Remember liability is what you would owe someone for an accident that is your fault. For instance if you totaled someone's Mercedes that could be 20k right there before you even start talking about medical, lost wages etc. Could easily reach large six figure numbers. I know insurance is expensive in New Orleans, but I would increase that liability number drastically (may be 500k).
Depends on the state but generally you pensions (incl. 401K) and IRAs
cannot be touched. And if you apply for bankruptcy you can protect
your home.
This may be a good reason to spend down your taxable accounts first.

teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2007, 11:35 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Depends on the state but generally you pensions (incl. 401K) and IRAs
cannot be touched. And if you apply for bankruptcy you can protect
your home.
This may be a good reason to spend down your taxable accounts first.
Even if you file bankruptcy, the extent your home is protected is mostly a function of state law. If you chose the federal bankruptcy exemptions, there is only a small homestead exemption. So, if you have a lot of equity in a home, generally people chose the state exemptions even when they file bankrutpcy. Some states provide a big homestead exemption (think Florida and Texas) and some very small.

Interesting comment on using taxable accounts first.

As far as the OP's question, we ditched collision insurance on our car, which is probably worth about $10,000. We keep it on the motorhome.

W2R, increase those liability limits!

When thinking about umbrella policies I don't think about the value of our assets, I think about the risk of being sued and typical lawsuit settlements and recovery. Do you have rental property or a teenage son driving your car? Higher umbrella limits for you. The cost of defense does not come out of the umbrella amount.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote