Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
My homeowners company has offered to raise the deductable to 1% from 1000 for other than windstorm and the hail (1% of policy limit) but the numbers they supplied implies no losses for 10 years. (Take the premium reduction and the increase in deductable, divide the deductable increase by the premium decrease and you get the number).

BTW I assume you have auto and home with the same company. Living in the middle of Texas in a small town, the multi line discount pays 70% of the auto insurance (all be it on an old pickup but with collision if I went to no collision or comp then the auto insurance looks like it might come close to being paid by the combined discount)
We live in East Texas in a very rural county. I had all my insurance with the same company for 30 years. Then they did the right thing for their membership and revamped the homeowner's policy to add more coverages at less cost. Unfortunately, I was in the .00000001% (my number, not theirs) that couldn't fit into the new policy. So we had to go with Texas Farm Bureau for a Farm & Ranch policy. I will continue to keep all my other insurance with USAA.

The challenge for the OP in Florida is the high expense - and the extraordinarily high deductble - of windstorm coverage.

A 1% deductible is standard in Texas (excluding that whole windstorm issue if you're within so many miles of the Gulf) unless you buy back a lower deductible.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes I live in the Texas Hill country so the coastal thing is not an issue. But its easy to see why the wind and hail thing, the house I live in would have had 3 new roofs from the insurance company in 25 years due to wind and hail. At one time 1/2 the roofs in Fort Worth were replaced by insurance companies due to one storm.
Anyway in Tx a nice discount can be had by putting a hail resistant roof on. (on the order of 18-20%).
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote