Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I'm interested that very few people carry dental insurance.
I expect this has to do with people's specific dental health (genetics / fluoridated water / etc.).

I had one filling replaced two years ago (I have two). Except for that, nothing but cleanings for the last 10 years. DW is about the same. DS has never had a cavity or braces. I guess we won the dental lottery.

I dropped dental insurance when the company was paying part of it and that saved us money.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #22

Interestingly, insurance is 22% of my $35k annual budget.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Here are my annual insurance costs going into ER. I am a single 52 year old male and live in MA. Do these seem reasonable? How do they compare with yours?

Auto $500
Long Term Care $340
Home $1300
Dental $320
$2M Umbrella $235
Health $5160

My health insurance is a former employer's plan that will reduce to $1300 in 2.5 years when I reach 55. I could also go with an ACA plan which would probably cost $2000/year, but have far higher deductibles and give far less coverage.
Your health insurance is a bargain. As a retired city of chicago employee my annual health premium is 12600 or 1050 a month. Of course I am a public employee that supposedly gets showered with all these great benefits that the media and the wealthy elite have mislead the general public to believe.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #24

Quote:
Here are my annual insurance costs going into ER. I am a single 52 year old male and live in MA. Do these seem reasonable? How do they compare with yours?

Auto $500
Long Term Care $340
Home $1300
Dental $320
$2M Umbrella $235
Health $5160

My health insurance is a former employer's plan that will reduce to $1300 in 2.5 years when I reach 55. I could also go with an ACA plan which would probably cost $2000/year, but have far higher deductibles and give far less coverage.
Wow - I'm jealous !

Auto $1k
LTC - do not have because it would be 3k / year !
Home - $2500
Health / Dental (through work) $2400 - if I were retired it would be a lot more
Umbrella - I need to do that ! thanks !!
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:28 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I expect this has to do with people's specific dental health (genetics / fluoridated water / etc.).

I had one filling replaced two years ago (I have two). Except for that, nothing but cleanings for the last 10 years. DW is about the same. DS has never had a cavity or braces. I guess we won the dental lottery.

I dropped dental insurance when the company was paying part of it and that saved us money.
I actually don't know how my dental insurance company makes any money. I pay $320/year and at a minimum that covers 2 x cleaning, 2 x exams, and x-rays which according to the schedule of charges will run around $250. Anything else and they are losing money. The margins seem tight.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Old 02-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Your health insurance is a bargain. As a retired city of chicago employee my annual health premium is 12600 or 1050 a month. Of course I am a public employee that supposedly gets showered with all these great benefits that the media and the wealthy elite have mislead the general public to believe.
Yes they lure you in and then screw you. My health is also from a public employer....state of MA....right now at 55 my premiums for health will go down to $1300/year, but the state is looking at cost savings and new legislation would eliminate my (and most active employees) eligibility for any state retiree health insurance, so I'd have to go on ACA. But if that happened I'd probably move back to the UK (I'm a dual US/UK citizen) and get coverage under the NHS.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #27

Quote:
I'm interested that very few people carry dental insurance. Maybe I have an over aggressive dentist, or a mouth full of old fillings, but I've had a fair amount of dental costs over the last 10 years - crowns etc and I obviously go in for a cleaning every 6 months. So $27/month for dental insurance sounds like value for money to me.
I find this hard to believe. If and when you retire you will be paying 400 a month to have that kind of work done. Yeah, when you retire you might be able to pay 27 a month for dental insurance but all you will be doing is prepaying for cleanings. They wont pay for anything else.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #28

Yes, agree insurance costs seem to only be getting higher! My figures yearly costs for my wife and I:

House = $1075 for 2000 sq ft house with additional coverage for large detached shop garage
Auto = $1800 for 4 vehicles (Only 1 with full coverage, other 3 liability and comp with no collision)
Classic Cars = $900 for 5 vehicles full coverage
Motorhome = $600 full coverage
$1M Umbrella = $330
Dental, Vision and Life = $0 (provided through work)
Health = $5400 (subsidized also provided through work)

no LTC. Still working for now, so figuring health care related costs will rise to approx $12000/yr once out of working.

Yes I realize I have a lot of vehicle related costs, but the old cars are my hobby so just a cost to do that.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm interested that very few people carry dental insurance. Maybe I have an over aggressive dentist, or a mouth full of old fillings, but I've had a fair amount of dental costs over the last 10 years - crowns etc and I obviously go in for a cleaning every 6 months. So $27/month for dental insurance sounds like value for money to me.
The plan's I've reviewed, the yearly max payout is only in the $1000- $1200 range. I'd pay for the policy and get my premiums back on my two yearly visits. It's just there's not much upside. I've had a number of crowns, so I might be able to get part of one a year replaced.

Thing that ticks me off, I wear a Bruxism guard(NTI). Insurance will not cover those, at least any policy I've reviewed. I eat one every 2 years(like clockwork), ~$600 a pop. The guard helps my crowns and few fillings protected from my 'heavy grinding', and my TMJ is much improved. If insurance would cover those I'd sign up.
MRG
Old 02-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #30

Take care of your teeth. Dental insurance is a ripoff.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I pay $157 annually for my family for a dental discount plan. The itemized bill we get from the dentist usually has a 40-50% discount off "rack rates" - I figure it gets us to about the same result as a dental insurance plan but there is no cutoff like an insurance plan that only pays a max of $1000 or so a year.

1 year I checked with our dentist to see if we paid for dental insurance how much more we would save and it came out that the additional savings didn't offset the monthly added cost. I doubt the dentist office even checks, other than initially, if we are still signed up for the discount but it is low enough that I haven't cancelled and have paid for it for the last 6 years.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes it is expensive!!

We live in SoCal (high auto rates already) and rent ... DW is SAHM .. I am still working .. 2 teen drivers at home

In annual figures:

Health + Dental $2800 (through employer; pre-tax $$ and includes 1x salary life on me) .. we modeled this under ACA/Covered CA and for the same plan we have now it will be $1650 per month when we RE

Auto $3050 (3 cars, 4 drivers - 2 of whom are teens; this is 2x what we would pay w/o DD DS)

Life $4250 ($2MM (1.5 term, 500 whole) on me, $500k on DW, plus disability on me)... will drop disability next year and drop life as soon as DW and DS get to college or RE (whichever sooner). The term is cheap - we got it 15+ yrs ago, but the whole is not. Bought as a hedge and a place to park otherwise dormant cash ... but with bonds/annuities so low, the value of this plan has proven lousy over time.

Renters $480

No LTC
No Umbrella
Old 02-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #33

Single woman, 57, Twin Cities, 2013 costs:

Medical insurance pre tax $1241.10
Dental insurance pre tax $301.06
State Farm umbrella (1 Million) $72.00
State Farm car $736.45
State Farm condo $307.00.
Genworth LTC: $2300.00
Old 02-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
I find this hard to believe. If and when you retire you will be paying 400 a month to have that kind of work done. Yeah, when you retire you might be able to pay 27 a month for dental insurance but all you will be doing is prepaying for cleanings. They wont pay for anything else.
I agree.

The plan has a max annual payout of $1250, but the cost of procdures is very reasonable. In network preventative and exams is 100% covered and things like fillings, root canals and crowns are 80% covered. As I have so many crowns I worry about needing root canals at some point. Under this insurance a root canal would cost $750 and I'd be responsible for 20% of that.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #35

60 y/o married with 2 children.

Auto $0 (no car) but 5 years ago I paid $50.00/year
LTC $0 (Young wife and two younger sisters are nurses who I support)
Home $0 ( Only risk is Earthquake and it did just fine in the last 8.0)
Dental $0 (In 10 years I have probably spent $1,000.00 on Dental)
$2M Umbrella $0 ( It does not rain in Lima)
Health $0 ( My wife and sisters all work for Doctors in the best hospital in Lima and as a Professional courtesy do not charge for medical care)

Mine appear to be a lot less as I have self-insured for many years.

When we repatriate Stateside, I imagine it will cost quite a bit more.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
60 y/o married with 2 children.

Auto $0 (no car) but 5 years ago I paid $50.00/year
LTC $0 (Young wife and two younger sisters are nurses who I support)
Home $0 ( Only risk is Earthquake and it did just fine in the last 8.0)
Dental $0 (In 10 years I have probably spent $1,000.00 on Dental)
$2M Umbrella $0 ( It does not rain in Lima)
Health $0 ( My wife and sisters all work for Doctors in the best hospital in Lima and as a Professional courtesy do not charge for medical care)

Mine appear to be a lot less as I have self-insured for many years.

When we repatriate Stateside, I imagine it will cost quite a bit more.
If I return to the UK my insurance costs would likely be

Medical $0
Dental $0
Home $500
Auto $900
LTC $0
Umbrella $0

This would reduce the percentage of my budget set aside for insurance from 22% to 4%. That's a frightening comparison.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If I return to the UK my insurance costs would likely be

Medical $0
Dental $0
Home $500
Auto $900
LTC $0
Umbrella $0

This would reduce the percentage of my budget set aside for insurance from 22% to 4%. That's a frightening comparison.
Sounds like you need to go.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sounds like you need to go.
If I get the MA state retiree health plan at $1300/year my insurance will go down to 11% of my budget. But 4% of my budget for insurance makes the UK a definite a possibility in the future.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:

Auto $500
Long Term Care $340
Home $1300
Dental $320
$2M Umbrella $235
Health $5160

Not bad! Once your health insurance goes down at age 55, I think you'll be set.

Or, you could go to the UK but then I think you might need to include tax comparisons as well?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #40

Still working so dental and health are partially paid by employer.

Home: 2000sf house and 700sf granny flat/rental unit. $1196

Auto: 8 year old hybrid suv and 15 year old gas guzzling truck. $1000. (Kids still too young to drive.)

Health: $3504 for a family of 4, Kaiser Perm. HMO with low copays.
(Would be $14400 under cobra, and ACA with higher deductibles is about $15k.)

Dental: 300/year for the four of us. This includes a $100 ded. per person, $200 per family. My son has a problem mouth and DH and I have aging fillings and crowns, so we're in the replacement phase of our mouths. Dental knocks the rate down to a lower rate AND pays 50% on crowns, 80% on fillings. Also included orthodontia - which saved us $4k overall. Both boys are in braces. Dental has been a jackpot winner for us.