Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Interactive property tax map of the US
Old 11-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Interactive property tax map of the US

Interesting map showing a county-by-county view of average property taxes both by dollar amount and % of home price:

Property taxes: How does your county compare? - CNNMoney.com

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Part of the disparity between states is the relationship between property taxes and other state taxes. For example, Texas lacks a state income tax, and Montana lacks a sales tax, so that may drives up the property tax rate, because nothing is free.

Additionally, in sparsely populated areas there may be too few residents to have a critical mass of taxpayers, so the property taxes are higher to pay for nice things like roads and schools.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Additionally, in sparsely populated areas there may be too few residents to have a critical mass of taxpayers, so the property taxes are higher to pay for nice things like roads and schools.
Looks like the map says the highest property tax locations are urban areas, not rural locations.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Interesting map showing a county-by-county view of average property taxes both by dollar amount and % of home price:

What jumps out to me is that expensive areas with high home values have high property taxes. It seems like for the most part home values dominate rates, which I think might be expected.

When it comes to rates, the urban NE, Illinois, Wisconsin and all the prairie states are the big winners Looks like it is bad news if your state ever had large buffalo herds.

Ha
Old 11-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I want the asteroid landing location risk assessment map...THAT would be useful.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Looks like the map says the highest property tax locations are urban areas, not rural locations.
but on the percent of home price, the prairie states stand out.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

WOW look at AL and LA. A lot of us would like a tax bill like that.
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #8

Interesting...and not surprising to me that I live in one of the dark blue counties (but, again, no state income tax).
Old 11-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We're dark blue for $ and % of home price + we have a state income tax! Not surprising to me though.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Thanks!
What a great tool for someone exploring places to relocate. If I were in that situation I would find this invaluable.

Looking at my current location, I'm noticeably above the average amount, but the percentage is right on. Guess that means my very modest little house is nicer than I thought in comparison to the whole county.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks. Very interesting chart.

This was a painful reminder that I live in a tax h*#l. Dark blue for % and $ with a high state income tax and a mid-range sales tax...yikes.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for posting this.

Illinois comes up another big winner in property taxes and a decent sized income tax.

Would like to see a map showing how expensive it is to live by county: state income tax, local income tax, property tax, sales tax, RTA tax (gas), etc. Getting the itch to move as I get close to RE...

I have the nature of a polymath and the memory of a Commodore 64
Old 11-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #13

My RE tax rate is low 1.1%, but the cost is high at $4.5k. Live in the NE and you have to deal with high house prices........makes downsizing and relocating financially attractive.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
Old 11-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittingduck View Post
Thanks for posting this.

Would like to see a map showing how expensive it is to live by county: state income tax, local income tax, property tax, sales tax, RTA tax (gas), etc. Getting the itch to move as I get close to RE...
The only thing I can think of like that is that Elder Index that came out several years ago. The data might be a little dated, but inflation has not been very high either Elder Index
Old 11-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #15

Rural areas won't have the infrastructure to maintain. Septic tanks....wells etc. No lines to maintain. Although that area around Yellowstone in Wyoming is just a bit steeeeeeep.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #16

Bookmarked. Moving in 9-10 months to the place of my choice. The place at the top of my list is dark blue, which is part of the reason I'll just rent, along with it not being a buyer's market at all anymore in that area. Moving there for the lack of income tax, then will re-evaluate my location six years later when I won't need to be concerned about income tax anywhere near as much as property taxes.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #17

Nassau County (Long Island, NY, where I live) is notorious for high property taxes, high sales taxes, and high state income taxes.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 11-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm surprised that the property taxes in Honolulu county are as low as they are (ave. $1,587)
Old 11-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
I'm surprised that the property taxes in Honolulu county are as low as they are (ave. $1,587)
Quite high average home values, but the property tax rate is one of the lowest in all the states.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Although that area around Yellowstone in Wyoming is just a bit steeeeeeep.
That's where Jackson, Wyoming is located. part time home of some of the Rich and Famous. Pitkin County, Colorado, the county Aspen is in also is dark blue, but is a much smaller county.