Interactive property tax map of the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the disparity between states is the relationship between property taxes and other state taxes. For example, Texas lacks a state income tax, and Montana lacks a sales tax, so that may drives up the property tax rate, because nothing is free.

Additionally, in sparsely populated areas there may be too few residents to have a critical mass of taxpayers, so the property taxes are higher to pay for nice things like roads and schools.

Additionally, in sparsely populated areas there may be too few residents to have a critical mass of taxpayers, so the property taxes are higher to pay for nice things like roads and schools.
Looks like the map says the highest property tax locations are urban areas, not rural locations.

Interesting map showing a county-by-county view of average property taxes both by dollar amount and % of home price:

Property taxes: How does your county compare? - CNNMoney.com
What jumps out to me is that expensive areas with high home values have high property taxes. It seems like for the most part home values dominate rates, which I think might be expected.

When it comes to rates, the urban NE, Illinois, Wisconsin and all the prairie states are the big winners Looks like it is bad news if your state ever had large buffalo herds.

Ha

Interesting...and not surprising to me that I live in one of the dark blue counties (but, again, no state income tax).

We're dark blue for $ and % of home price + we have a state income tax! Not surprising to me though.

Thanks!
What a great tool for someone exploring places to relocate. If I were in that situation I would find this invaluable.

Looking at my current location, I'm noticeably above the average amount, but the percentage is right on. Guess that means my very modest little house is nicer than I thought in comparison to the whole county.

Thanks. Very interesting chart.

This was a painful reminder that I live in a tax h*#l. Dark blue for % and $ with a high state income tax and a mid-range sales tax...yikes.

Thanks for posting this.

Illinois comes up another big winner in property taxes and a decent sized income tax.

Would like to see a map showing how expensive it is to live by county: state income tax, local income tax, property tax, sales tax, RTA tax (gas), etc. Getting the itch to move as I get close to RE...

My RE tax rate is low 1.1%, but the cost is high at $4.5k. Live in the NE and you have to deal with high house prices........makes downsizing and relocating financially attractive.

Thanks for posting this.

Would like to see a map showing how expensive it is to live by county: state income tax, local income tax, property tax, sales tax, RTA tax (gas), etc. Getting the itch to move as I get close to RE...

The only thing I can think of like that is that Elder Index that came out several years ago. The data might be a little dated, but inflation has not been very high either http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/elder-index-65029.html

Rural areas won't have the infrastructure to maintain. Septic tanks....wells etc. No lines to maintain. Although that area around Yellowstone in Wyoming is just a bit steeeeeeep.

Bookmarked. Moving in 9-10 months to the place of my choice. The place at the top of my list is dark blue, which is part of the reason I'll just rent, along with it not being a buyer's market at all anymore in that area. Moving there for the lack of income tax, then will re-evaluate my location six years later when I won't need to be concerned about income tax anywhere near as much as property taxes.

Nassau County (Long Island, NY, where I live) is notorious for high property taxes, high sales taxes, and high state income taxes.

I'm surprised that the property taxes in Honolulu county are as low as they are (ave. $1,587)

I'm surprised that the property taxes in Honolulu county are as low as they are (ave. $1,587)

Quite high average home values, but the property tax rate is one of the lowest in all the states.

Although that area around Yellowstone in Wyoming is just a bit steeeeeeep.

That's where Jackson, Wyoming is located. part time home of some of the Rich and Famous. Pitkin County, Colorado, the county Aspen is in also is dark blue, but is a much smaller county.

Nassau County (Long Island, NY, where I live) is notorious for high property taxes, high sales taxes, and high state income taxes.
The average RE tax in your county is 6.3X that in mine (Maricopa County, AZ). No wonder you have made many angry posts about what you pay for school taxes there, while I am OK with our taxes. ;)

Well, perhaps the education system and public services are superior to where I am, hence cost more? Just wondering...

As much as I like maps, I don't like this one - the shading of Illinois bothers me. I need to move into a van down by the river. I used to joke that had I known years ago that I would pay more than $125,000 by now in taxes to the school district that I grew up in, I would have gotten my moneys worth of fun while I was in school. Its not a joke anymore

We've decided to close this thread after removing several derogatory posts which were bound to offend some folks living in some of those States.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom