Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Are we talking simple interest or compound interest?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2018, 10:38 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Long rates have gotten back to their May high yields for the year - not quite exceeding them.

But the 5-year treasury has reach a yield not seen since 2009. It got very close to 3% this morning.

The 2-year treasury has reached a yield not seen since 2008.

The Fed is widely expected to raise the Fed Funds Rate another 0.25% tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:34 PM   #143
Give me a forum ...

I noticed 5 year TIPS were at 0.93%. I take this as implying we might expect at least 1% real from intermediate bonds that are not inflation adjusted. Then you get some more (big maybe) if going with investment grade.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:47 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The Fed is widely expected to raise the Fed Funds Rate another 0.25% tomorrow.
Assuming the rates are raised tomorrow, when would be a good time to invest in a CD (about how long does it take for the banks to raise their CD rates after the Fed raises its rates)?
Old 09-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Assuming the rates are raised tomorrow, when would be a good time to invest in a CD (about how long does it take for the banks to raise their CD rates after the Fed raises its rates)?
CD rates have already been moving up in anticipation of the rate hike. Look for the laggards to raise their rates to match those who were out ahead of it.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #146

I’ve been waiting for the increase. Brokered CDs for 3 year did got up .10% from my last purchase.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:19 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Hard to say. Seems like adjustments have been a bit slow. The banks are competing with each other and changes have been gradual and not necessarily timed to the Fed increases.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

CDs rates are going to closely track mortgage rates since the money that the bank gets from CDs is used to fund bank loans. Mortgage rates are largely determined by market forces when the loan is repackaged and sold. The buyer will demand a certain return, which is heavily influenced by inflation. So there is no direct linkage between CDs and the Fed rate. However, both are influenced by inflation. If rates for CDs (and US Treasuries) are rising, it is probably because everyone believes inflation is going to go up. After all, the Fed told us that when they raised their overnight rate.
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:24 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hard to say. Seems like adjustments have been a bit slow. The banks are competing with each other and changes have been gradual and not necessarily timed to the Fed increases.
Kinda sorta. If you do a bit of googling, you will find that the banks and analysts that follow the industry are all gabbling about "deposit betas." What they are talking about is the percentage of the change in the fed funds rate that the banks pass along to their depositors. In most interest rate increase cycles, the average eta through the cycle is typically 50-something percent. Typically betas start off low and rise through the cycle until shortly after rates peak. So I would guess that we will continue seeing short term deposit rates rise until fed funds rates peaks.

Longer term deposit rates (CDs) are a little tougher to cuff. By and large I would guess that CD rates move based on a combination of what short term rates and similar maturity treasury rates do.

Different types of banks have different betas. Traditional bricks and mortar banks are not usually high beta propositions. Online banks tend to be high beta.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:29 PM   #150
gone traveling

Experts think the Fed will continue to raise rates several times the next year or so.

Good for savers... bad for debtors.

I just took out a "variable CD" which will increase [or decrease] with the Fed Funds Rate but never go below the floor rate. For my five year CD, the floor rate is 3%.

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:46 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post

Experts think the Fed will continue to raise rates several times the next year or so.

Good for savers... bad for debtors.

I just took out a "variable CD" which will increase [or decrease] with the Fed Funds Rate but never go below the floor rate. For my five year CD, the floor rate is 3%.

Where did you find this product? Navy Federal has something kind of similar but shorter term and the rate floor is 50 BP under the starting rate.

- George Orwell

Old 09-25-2018, 11:00 PM   #152
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post

Where did you find this product? Navy Federal has something kind of similar but shorter term and the rate floor is 50 BP under the starting rate.

The regional bank is First Guaranty Bank and it has a branch in my Texas hometown near Dallas. I already have a checking account and other CDs there and I love their personalized service. But this is a brand new CD product the bank just started offering. See link below.

Variable CD

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:54 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
The regional bank is First Guaranty Bank and it has a branch in my Texas hometown near Dallas. I already have a checking account and other CDs there and I love their personalized service. But this is a brand new CD product the bank just started offering. See link below.

Variable CD

Interesting. What is the early withdrawal penalty on the 5 year?

- George Orwell

Old 09-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Fed funds rate is now 2.25%. Another 0.25% is generally expected in Dec.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #155

...and the 10-year is falling.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
...and the 10-year is falling.
After rising quite a bit over the past week.

Fed Chair said something about not expecting inflation to increase significantly.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:34 PM   #157

Quote:
Fed Chair said something about not expecting inflation to increase significantly.
They contrive their inflation formulas to say what they need them to say.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #158
Gone but not forgotten

.25 today... one more in December, three in 2019 and one more in 2020.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:06 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
.25 today... one more in December, three in 2019 and one more in 2020.
That is the view today. I don't think that's what will play out in the end...but I certainly will not complain if it does.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:32 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Probably the main reason long rates dropped some (but not down to the yields of a couple of weeks ago) was that the Fed Chair implied they might be slightly more aggressive at raising short-term rates. Certainly didn’t indicate a slowing down in spite of removing the “accommodative” language.