Interesting aggregated spending data from Mint.com

caninelover

Full time employment: Posting here.
I use Mint.com to track spending, and ran across this site from them that is interesting. It is a beta site that provides aggregated spending data across the country.

You can compare your expenses to their aggregated data by category, by geography, and even by vendor.

I thought it was interesting to check out, so if anyone else would like to (you don't have to be a Mint.com user to view the data) here is the link: Mint Data

I am unsure how this information would be useful to the average person.

Anyway, I am shocked to find that the Astoria is at the top of the list of restaurants in Denver -- Average Purchase = $1,737.71.

Of course this might explain it:

Astoria, a quaint Russian restaurant located conveniently five minutes southeast from Cherry Creek, offers authentic Russian cuisine and atmosphere for festive dining. Private events are encouraged with the professional staff able to prepare whatever you desire. Live entertainment on weekends
THIS PLACE DOES NOT EXIST. My boyfriend and I went there looking for it, and it's now some catering business. Don't go here. It's a sketch neighborhood, for one, and the second thing is that it's gone.

AFAIK, the best source of spending data by category is here: Consumer Expenditures Survey (CEX)

Note the cross-tabulated tables lower on the page.

I'd love to use it to provide people a starting point when they try to fill in the "planned spending" part of a budget.

Back
Top Bottom