Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
interesting article on SWR
Old 12-12-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
simple girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,505
interesting article on SWR

"You might be able to pull more money from savings than you think."

http://online.wsj.com/public/article....html?mod=mktw
__________________

__________________
simple girl
less stuff, more time

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: interesting article on SWR
Old 12-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 105
Send a message via Yahoo to OkieTexan
Re: interesting article on SWR

Good article. Thanks........

It is fun to tinker with FIRECALC by changing the assumptions and variables a bit.
__________________

__________________
OkieTexan
OkieTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: interesting article on SWR
Old 12-12-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Re: interesting article on SWR

A nice summary of the variables we're all free to tinker with.......in Firecalc and in the real world.

The analogy with the layer cake, however, was lame.
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: interesting article on SWR
Old 12-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
tryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,449
Re: interesting article on SWR

Quote:

Next, take the success-rate layer. If you're willing to accept, say, a 94% chance that your portfolio will last 30 years -- and a 6% chance that you'll go broke -- you can boost your withdrawal rate to 5%.
Heck, I'll take an 20% chance I'll end up either buried or broke. Seems to me any "planning" beyond 80% success is analysis paralysis.
__________________
FIRE'd since 2005
tryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: interesting article on SWR
Old 12-12-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Re: interesting article on SWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
Heck, I'll take an 20% chance I'll end up either buried or broke. Seems to me any "planning" beyond 80% success is analysis paralysis.
Why not 50/50? Even less analysis paralysis!
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: interesting article on SWR
Old 12-12-2006, 04:44 PM   #6
 
Posts: n/a
Re: interesting article on SWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Why not 50/50? Even less analysis paralysis!


__________________
  Reply With Quote
Re: interesting article on SWR
Old 12-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #7
 
Posts: n/a
Re: interesting article on SWR

One of the interesting things that I have discovered using FireCalc is the close relationship to 'Average Financial Planners', if you indeed use averages.

Before I stared using FireCalc, I used the Financial Retirement Planner in Quicken. You decide your portfoilo return and inflation etc. - Not based on any Historical numbers etc.

I settled on 4% inflation, 6% returns - Living to age 100 - My numbers in Quicken match Firecalc within a couple of thousand dollars per year on a $80K spending rate.

__________________
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mildly interesting article in Slate about why it's barely worth it to invest SLC Tortfeasor Young Dreamers 11 04-16-2007 10:54 AM
interesting article bosco FIRE and Money 21 09-19-2006 07:37 AM
Interesting article on "Do what you love" Jay_Gatsby Other topics 4 01-21-2006 03:00 PM
Interesting article in New York Times Traveler Other topics 17 05-19-2004 05:21 AM
SWR, terminal values, TIPS, I-bnds & comm paper sgeeeee FIRE and Money 144 02-25-2004 04:35 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:08 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.