Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I agree that everything will be OK, or better. But I'm on the optimistic side for equities. Not that they'll outdo history, but be on par. I think it's human nature to say everything is used-up, but only because we can't see the cool stuff yet to come. Recall the ideas proposed in the past like, the world only needs a few big computers. And I'm not sure the prosperity of the 50's was agreed upon before the fact. We have some great discoveries now that will turn into huge opportunities, and things that will be discovered that can make life better and make cool things possible. There's no reason to think that this random time in history is the time that humanity will quit innovating.
I don't think a pessimistic financial and political view suggests that one believes that innovating is over. A person would have to be extremely poorly informed to believe that innovation is over. They are two different things. Also, a big factor is where we are now WRT valuations.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but since they specifically spell out their assumptions - 8% equities, 5.5% bonds, 20% standard deviation - what numbers are they using to generate the tables if not these numbers? And if they are using these numbers, how are they getting to these failure rates? They are coming up with higher failure rates than Firecalc, which includes the runs during the great depression.
I don't have a clue if they are accurate, or just winging it, since it is not important to me. Firecalc is definitely not the final answer to everything, it uses one historical sequence, in other words what really happened to one economy at one stage of its development and at a certain time of history. These people likely used a Monte Carlo, but again, I don't know and I don't really care. When I posted "it is spelled out", I just meant that they wrote the words that I transcribed. It's a sales document, not a scientific paper.

Maybe they are just liars and are really using a Ouija board?

Ha
Old 12-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Any of the Advisors charging you based on the percentage of your assets that they are managing has a conflict of interest in telling you how big a pot you need. The bigger the pile of money they tell you to accumulate, the more money they get to make. Odd how they always tell you that you need much more than you might calculate if you do it yourself ...
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote