Join Early Retirement Today

international funds
Old 06-28-2005, 02:09 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

international funds

I'm setting up a IRA with Vanguard using the coffeehouse* portfolio more or less. I am thinking of going 30-35% international. Any suggestions on funds to pick from V. ? Right now I'm considering 50-50 between international growth and international value keeping it like the coffeehouse method for domestic stocks. Pros, cons, suggestions? This will be* untouched for ten years (hopefully) except for rebalance..........Shredder

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: international funds
Old 06-28-2005, 05:04 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is there some reason you wouldn't simply index? Cheap, proven, easy to do at VG.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

VG has an international growth index and value index. At least I think they're indexes.

Both have good long term records and good country distribution. You could do lots worse than buying 50/50 and balancing every 1-2 years. A little higher ER than buying pacific and europe indexes separately but the growth/value funds significantly outperform those.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:14 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vanguard's Int'l Growth and Int'l Value are not index funds, they're actively managed. Low ER's, but higher turnover [and trading costs].

Personally, I use International Index funds and tilt towards small and value in my US equities. Value is value the world around.

- Alec
Old 06-28-2005, 09:33 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Dodge and Cox International is a FANTASTIC fund, and expenses are very low (almost as low as Vanguard.)

I have Fidelity Diversified Int'l for my growth fund now, expenses are a tad high but it's got a great record, plus it's in my 401k.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:47 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I 2nd the Dodge and Cox---large cap value tilted

Quote:
Vanguard's Int'l Growth and Int'l Value are not index funds, they're actively managed. Low ER's, but higher turnover [and trading costs].
I don't think it is a terrible idea to look at Intl' Value. Tracks the international value index which I think is what Notth (or TH) meant. Value outperforms over the long run.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:52 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I don't know about that - BUT the Dodge and Cox funds - top ten holdings are one place I check frequently for dividend stock ideas.

Dodge and Cox has been around since the 1930's - and are an old respected 'value house' with a good track record. If that carries over into international - well one could easily do much worse.

I think that be a left handed compliment.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:55 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

An alternative is Oakmark International (OAKIX.) Expenses are a bit higher, but many fund houses have it as NTF.

Oakmark actually is more "value" now - lower PE and a higher yield.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:55 PM   #9

Dodge and Cox is really one of the few actives I respect. *Same value approach applies to the International Fund---DODFX.

As often as we recommend 4 Pillars I do believe Bernstein mentions the Vanguard Intl Value as a decent idea despite it being actively managed for the reason stated above.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:21 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Greetings Shredder. If you're considering instituting a variation on the Coffeehouse Port, which recommends a 10% allocation in int'l, there may be another option. Vanguard also has an index fund for emerging markets - VEIEX, couple that with VTRIX, and you'd be using the value and small-cap (relatively so) premium that has been prevalent in historical returns.

Bookm
Old 06-29-2005, 09:38 AM   #11

I agree that you need emerging market exposure and VEIEX is a decent way to do that.
Fidelity has an excellent fund for foreign small cap. FISMX. (great record) The fidelity index fund is good and importantly it has a 10 BP expense ratio.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:46 AM   #12

I believe the Fidelity small cap intl is now closed.* Investors have been throwing some serious cash into small cap intl funds.

Shredder if you can wait a bit and like the idea of ETFs iShares is coming out with a Value and Growth Intl ETF. Expenses should be as low or lower than Vanguard's Intl Value.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
I believe the Fidelity small cap intl is now closed.* Investors have been throwing some serious cash into small cap intl funds.
Yep it is closed. That one got by me.* Not to worry, another great fund is the Canada Fund* FICDX
Old 06-29-2005, 01:35 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats5g

Personally, I use International Index funds and tilt towards small and value in my US equities. Value is value the world around.

- Alec
You're correct...I thought they tracked a value and growth index but perhaps they dont.

I went with value myself just yesterday, exchanging my europe and pacific for the intl value fund. The growth fund has a better 10 year record, but most of the outperformance was 8-10 years ago when the stock markets were thumping along without underpinnings. More recent (and rational) performance gives intl value a signficant edge over intl growth and total intl. I think for longer term holdings, intl value has the same benefits as domestic value.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:51 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I also picked VTRIX (Vang. for value) for my foreign developed part - BUT my first choice was dodge and cox DODFX - they would however not let evil non-resident aliens like me own their fund - even through a US broker... sniffle.... Ironic; foreign fund not allowed to be owned by foreigners.... :