Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-31-2015, 11:52 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It will be interesting to see the full damage next year - lost customers, and lost revenue on remaining customers could be brutal. Great case study for HBR and others indeed.
I don't think Intuit has seen the worst of it yet. When the number of lost customers hit next quarters earnings, it will be mayhem. They get a massive amount of their earnings in the first quarter. They were slowly pissing off their customer base over the last decade. I suspect this will be the turning point. Too many people are switching out of all of their Intuit products.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 03:11 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
Intuit would make an excellent business school case study on "growth by greed" rather than product innovation can quickly destroy a long established franchise. I will shortly be an Intuit-free household, they lost a customer for life.
Same here. I already bought TT Deluxe for this year during that one-day $20 sale but ran into the "You need Premier" roadblock when I realized that DW sold a stock she'd inherited 16 years ago. Since I'm still waiting for a couple of 1099's I'll see which happens first - Intuit puts the forms back in Deluxe or I buy HRB's software when I'm ready to file.

But in either case they've annoyed me sufficiently that I'll just start out with HRB's product next year.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:22 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Same here. I already bought TT Deluxe for this year during that one-day $20 sale but ran into the "You need Premier" roadblock when I realized that DW sold a stock she'd inherited 16 years ago. Since I'm still waiting for a couple of 1099's I'll see which happens first - Intuit puts the forms back in Deluxe or I buy HRB's software when I'm ready to file.

But in either case they've annoyed me sufficiently that I'll just start out with HRB's product next year.
Actually, you can switch to HRB for FREE ... and get a bonus on top of your refund ... see this ...

H&R Block Offers Free Software to TurboTax Users | H&R Block Newsroom
Old 01-31-2015, 03:34 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Intuit is giving free upgrades this year. just call them.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:49 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
Actually, you can switch to HRB for FREE ... and get a bonus on top of your refund ... see this ...

H&R Block Offers Free Software to TurboTax Users | H&R Block Newsroom
Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Intuit is giving free upgrades this year. just call them.
Thanks to you both. I'll have to make up my mind now...
Old 01-31-2015, 04:26 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

We purchased TT Premier. (We dont like to efile, so purchased the CD.) Does the $25 refund apply for those who purchase a CD and how does one go about getting it?
Old 02-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Been using the Flagship free version of TT for a number of years. This year I will be required to file Schl. D. Do I still have to opt for Premier or will Sch. D be included in Deluxe? Yes, I am still confused.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Been using the Flagship free version of TT for a number of years. This year I will be required to file Schl. D. Do I still have to opt for Premier or will Sch. D be included in Deluxe? Yes, I am still confused.
Get the Premier. It will be free for Flagship clients, at least for this year anyway.

TT is supposed to add Schedule D back into Deluxe but it might take a while to propagate this change.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoseeker View Post
We purchased TT Premier. (We dont like to efile, so purchased the CD.) Does the $25 refund apply for those who purchase a CD and how does one go about getting it?
My guess is you register the product with TurboTax, then follow the instructions on their website.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I think Schl D will be added to Deluxe as part of the updating process but I am not certain of that. In any case I stumbled across this link somewhere and bookmarked it for the $25 back in case I go that route.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/25back
Old 02-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It looks like all the free tax software is web only, \
The free version of TaxAct comes in both flavors, web or desktop download.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #52

Just got off the phone with an Intuit rep, nice lady. According to her the upgrade from TT Deluxe to Premier can go one of two ways - you can upgrade from Deluxe, pay the $30, and get $25 back later - they will mail you a check after you file. They did that because it could be put into place instantly. Well, almost instantly. The link is https://turbotax.intuit.com/25back.

The other way is simply to wait and the upgrade will happen seamlessly to the user. At least that what she said - we'll see of course. This seamless upgrade is supposed to happen on Feb. 7, five days from now but since that has to come from their IT dept, I suppose there might be a delay or three.

Since I have the return done except for one 1099B I'm going to just wait for the seamless upgrade.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:23 PM   #53

I have gone back and forth between TurboTax and H&R Block Tax Cut for several years. Whichever was cheaper, I bought that one. H&R Block sent me a free copy this year so it was a no-brainer.

I saw in the ads in the Sunday paper that TT Deluxe is on sale for $39.99. The equivalent Tax Cut is $19.99. If H&R Block sticks to this, TT will be gone in a few years.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:22 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have never used anything other than TT. I just threw away some of the programs that came on 3.5" floppies. I'd say I might be close to thirty years a loyal TT user. I bought the premier version this year and then realized the change also impacted schedule C. I don't do a lot of sole proprietor work, but I do enough to file a C-EZ. It appears that I have to use Home and Business to be able to e-file my very simple schedule C. If that's the case, I will be very upset.

At the end of the day, TT blew it. No matter what happens, I will be shopping next year. I may still buy TT, but for the first time in my electronic/computerized life, I will consider something other than TT.