Join Early Retirement Today

Inverted yield curve
Old 01-03-2019, 07:13 AM   #1
Administrator

Inverted yield curve

I was just looking at US Treasury rates at Bloomberg and saw the 5 year rate is less than the 6mo, 12 mo and 2 year. Ever so slight, but still it’s an inversion, and I don’t recall it being that wide over the past 2 quarters. Dark clouds on the horizon?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3610AAE7-C14B-4F47-AC9A-7C5315BE0077.jpg (374.6 KB, 27 views)
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2019, 07:17 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I prefer the 2-10 split which is dancing around inversion. It means nothing other than it might mean something. We'll know in a few years.

corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:22 AM   #3

It's been close enough for a while. There are some business models that rely on a normal yield curve to work well. Is it the end of the world? no. But it would cause some stress to some parts of the market.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #4

The 1 year note is higher than 2 and 5 year notes. The 10 year note is about to invert versus the 1 year note. Last February I predicted that a rate inversion was going to happen. We are most likely headed to new all time lows for the 10 year note and possible the 30 year bond yields. As I stated many times, beware of cheerleaders in government talking up the stock market. Most sectors are in a deep bear market. Energy is continuing in a secular bear market with oil drilling stocks getting completely wiped out. The retail wipe-out is just getting started. The few places to hide for equity investors are utilities, telecom, and pharma. Individual bonds of companies with good cash flow will do fine. CDs and treasuries will be okay. Bond funds on the other hand will continue to under-perform due to their low yields and exposure to industrial, energy, and retail.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:06 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

When coupled with clearly slowing home sales, clearly slumping oil, and clearly declining "rest of the world ex-US", then yes, I think it's indicating worse economic times in the near future.