Join Early Retirement Today

Investing A Windfall When You're Already OK for FIRE
Old 11-25-2019, 07:35 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Investing A Windfall When You're Already OK for FIRE

So, your finances are in great shape, your home is paid off, you have no other debt, etc., etc., etc. You feel confident that you can RE.

Now imagine you've received a windfall that nearly doubles your net worth. Also imagine you have no interest in leaving anyone anything upon your death.

I'd like to hear your opinion about how you'd invest the windfall. 100% stocks? Play it super conservative? Invest it like you've invested your money up until receiving the windfall?

Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Always fun to dream. Lol

Well, I might invest some but I would buy another ranch. This money I most likely would invest in land and enjoy the outdoors.

street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:53 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

In theory, money that you absolutely need right away should be invested in the most conservative way. Therefore, money you that will NOT depend on, do not need, can be invested in the most aggressive manner.

I would pick some of the most aggressive mutual funds I could find. If I had time to research and follow, I might pick individual stocks.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #4

Then why invest it at all? What is the objective? You now have double what you "need". You're willing to gamble it for something more?

Stash it away in something ultra safe like CDs that will throw off some regular amount of income, use that money to spend as you like. Don't touch the principal - so you have a large emergency fund. Who knows what the future might hold?
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #5

I would invest it 100% stocks with the goal of using it for space tourism if that gets rolling before I am too old to take the G's
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:02 AM   #6

If I’m already FIRE and I get a windfall, I’d invest the extra in life: remodel the deck, get a fun car and take it out to the track, end enjoy a grand tour of Africa.

Whatever I don’t spend in the first year would be put in a Value Stock mutual fund. I would try like heck to spend it all over the next 5 years.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo Corleone View Post

Now imagine you've received a windfall that nearly doubles your net worth. Also imagine you have no interest in leaving anyone anything upon your death.
If the bolded part were true, I'd probably invest conservatively unless you have some wild ideas like booking a trip to Mars that might need more money. It sounds like you could improve your lifestyle quite a bit with first class travel and all that without any risk. I'd probably do something like 20-30% stocks and also look at TIPS for inflation protection.

For myself, even if I didn't have heirs, I might want to leave a larger charitable legacy so I'd probably be somewhat more aggressive with the investing. But that's a different goal from what you stated.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like you've won the game, so you can do anything you want with the windfall. If you don't need the money, maybe leave it very conservatively invested in case of a near geopolitical apocalypse. OTOH if you don't need the money but you want to maximize your final balance for heirs and/or charity, odds are investing at least a portion in equities will do that.

I inherited some cash, also above and beyond our needs, and more than expected but not as much as your windfall. And it's been sitting in cash for almost a year. I'll probably invest it to bring us to 50:45:5 or so, but obviously I'm not in any hurry as we were beyond set without it. Nice problem obviously.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #9

Quote:
So, your finances are in great shape, your home is paid off, you have no other debt, etc., etc., etc. You feel confident that you can RE.

I'd like to hear your opinion about how you'd invest the windfall. 100% stocks? Play it super conservative? Invest it like you've invested your money up until receiving the windfall?
Find a charity of your choice and give it all away!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:22 AM   #10

That's pretty close to our situation, except we do have one kid, and while we're not specifically planning on leaving them anything, we don't want to run out of money either, so chances are there will be significant money left over when we are both gone. Other than that, pretty close, as my father left me more than half of what we had already, and I figured we would already be OK. And while we're not planning or counting on it at all, our one remaining parent could possibly leave us significantly more than my dad did (although now our net worth is a lot more than that), so I've wondered what we would do if that occurred.

Right now, my thought would be to up our spend rate somehow, whether it's charitable giving, gifts to family, first-class international travel, vacation homes...I've thought about it enough that I'm sure I could find a way to keep my WR the same even if our NW jumped. But if it happened right now, I'd probably consider retiring, as right now we are looking to work for 5 more years mostly to pay for college, and in your scenario we would easily have enough to pay cash for that.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:26 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Foundation. My ego says thus I can extend my wishes in the after life.

heh heh heh - Unclemick's free range Bison or regenerative urban gardens or or ??
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I'd buy selected real estate properties and set DD up in rentals for part of her future income streams. I would set up a college fund for the step-grandson who will need it.

I'd then blow $100K on a 2020 Corvette for me.

Anything left over...I'll make a nice Christmas for my needy nephews back in Connecticut, or just use the funds to help get them out of that tax-crazed state.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Anything left over...I'll make a nice Christmas for my needy nephews back in Connecticut,
I initially read that as "nerdy nephews" which, amusing as it was, didn't really fit into the context of your answer, prompting a re-read
Old 11-25-2019, 09:47 AM   #14

Personally I would invest it as I had already invest my money. I would likely however increase my charitable giving - maybe start a charitable foundation earlier than planned - and I would have an interest in leaving most of it to our children. I have no need to increase my lifestyle beyond what I enjoy today, and you can't take it with you.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:51 AM   #15

In the past, when receiving an extra bit of money, typically, I'd spend a little on something for myself, and save the rest. I'd probably do the same this time, putting the entire remaining amount in VTSAX, with dividends directed into a savings account. That would provide a nice bump to my existing income.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:56 AM   #16

I would diversify in order to reduce risk, then seek worthy charities to donate or bequeath to, this is all after paying the customary tribute, of course.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Easy come, easy go
Old 11-25-2019, 09:56 AM   #17

Easy come, easy go

I would deposit the windfall into the account for which DW keeps the checkbook. That oughta take care of it.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #18

Quote:
... I'd like to hear your opinion about how you'd invest the windfall. ...
It's really not about what someone else would do. You're looking for ideas on what you might do. No way to answer that question without knowing what problem you're trying to solve.

That is actually a very common problem with this type of question. Do you want to eventually buy a Cessna Citation jet? A condo in Aspen? Do you have charities where you'd like to make a difference? Do you want to take one of National Geographic's private jet tours around the world or live full-time on a cruise ship?

If you don't have a goal, then any decision is as good as the next one.

For DW and myself we might up our travel a little bit, but most of a large windfall would end up in our estate for son, grandchildren, and already-identified charities. One of them is a community foundation, which will get fairly serious six figures. These community foundations (https://www.cof.org/community-foundation-locator) are small enough and focused enough that we can be very involved with setting objectives for grants from our money and our money is not just a drop on someone's national charity bucket.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
It's really not about what someone else would do. You're looking for ideas on what you might do. No way to answer that question without knowing what problem you're trying to solve.

That is actually a very common problem with this type of question. Do you want to eventually buy a Cessna Citation jet? A condo in Aspen? Do you have charities where you'd like to make a difference? Do you want to take one of National Geographic's private jet tours around the world or live full-time on a cruise ship?

For DW and myself we might up our travel a little bit, but most of a large windfall would end up in our estate for son, grandchildren, and already-identified charities. One of them is a community foundation, which will get fairly serious six figures. These community foundations (https://www.cof.org/community-foundation-locator) are small enough and focused enough that we can be very involved with setting objectives for grants from our money and our money is not just a drop on someone's national charity bucket.
I'm not trying to solve a problem. I don't expect anyone to put a whole lot of detailed thinking into it by conjuring up a whole slew of possible scenarios. Assuming no heirs, no family, etc., and assuming that, of course, you'd donate to charities whether while alive, upon death, or both - how would you invest the money, e.g., 100% stocks; 100% TIPS; 50% stocks/50% TIPS; 50% domestic stocks / 50% international stocks, etc., etc., etc. I realize everyone is different, but I thought it was a simple question. Maybe not.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I thought about your response a little further and focused on the above quote. I suppose that's the issue. I suppose I'm looking for people to provide me ideas for possible goals and - given a goal - how they would invest the windfall. As I said, DW and I are already set for a decent-to-comfortable ER, so... <shrug>